ADVERTISEMENT

2015-16 Hoops W-L Prediction/Expectation Thread

ColumbusCatFan1

Jun 18, 2005
I know it's pointless (and I'm sure many have already answered this in other threads), but I always enjoy reading poster takes on how the season will play out.

One rule, if I may: If you think the 'Cats will have a Cinderella type season (final four) or endure a total catastrophe (less than 10 total victories) please explain why.

17-14 (7-11) *NIT birth

The 'Cats likely lose both to games to the heavy weights in the CBE (one of them being high effort, close defeat) as well as an additional non conference game thanks to a flat performance.

Collins & Co. struggle early in the BIG slate, but as the season wears on Olah becomes a force to be reckoned with (especially on the defensive end) and Demps/Van Zegeren get hot late in the year. Mac continues to be a steady performer and we see more growth from Lindsay & Law. The frosh, while flashy early in the year, hit the wall. Someone off the bench becomes a key cog (Taphorn?).

Postseason:

The 'Cats get the Wednesday bye and dispatch their round 2 opponent in the BTT with ease. A hard fought defeat on Friday leads to 5 seed in the NIT.

Seems like a reasonable expectation to me. What say you?

18-13 (8-10 Big 10) regular season, one win in Big 10 tournament. OOC losses to both teams in KC and to Columbia (!). Columbia played Kentucky tough in Rupp last season, no reason why they won't be a tough game in McGaw.

NIT bid.

THIS is the YEAR! We can shoot, we can defend, we can rebound, we can take care of the ball, we have depth, we have 7 of our top 8 scorers back, we have Mr. Clutch and lots of upside from our other wing players. 23 wins, 2nd round NCAA, possibly sweet 16 with the right draw. To quote La Cage au Folles (seems appropriate this month) "The Best of Times is Now".

THIS is the YEAR! We can shoot, we can defend, we can rebound, we can take care of the ball, we have depth, we have 7 of our top 8 scorers back, we have Mr. Clutch and lots of upside from our other wing players. 23 wins, 2nd round NCAA, possibly sweet 16 with the right draw. To quote La Cage au Folles (seems appropriate this month) "The Best of Times is Now".
I think you're spot on. This team is more than solid. No holes that I can see. The addition of JvZ is huge in my opinion.

Look at all the Carmody teams that made it to the NIT and try telling me with a straight face that you don't think this team is going to be better and not marginally so.

For once I agree with Fitz51, 8-10 in the BIG. I'd say 17-14 and a trip to the NIT is possible. This assumes Falzon and his class are a work in progress, sorta like Law last year. If we get any consistency shooting the ball on the outside then imo things will get more interesting. Last year, I witnessed a timid Law who was sorely inexperienced, however, the guy was talented and came through late in the season and, at times, was unstoppable. If Falzon can develop as good as Law did towards the end of last year, then we may go deep in the BTT. At any rate, Collins is a helluva coach and I doubt we have many blowouts. Our defense is going to be SOLID. We just need confidence in shooting.

2 big keys which would mean the diff. btwn the NIT and the NCAA.

1. Falzon being the real deal as a frosh, at least on the offensive end a la Coble, Shurna, BMac, etc. (in terms of shooting efficiency).

When the 'Cats didn't have the advantage at center and had to rely on their outside shot, the 'Cats would go on runs where they really struggled.

If Falzon can hit the outside shot w/ some regularity off the bat, he will not only be a mismatch, but open things up for the others.

And w/ the added depth and the improvement of the underclassmen, there should be more options w regard to going w/ the hot hand (also spreading out the minutes should increase efficiency on O, as tired legs hurt shooting).

2. The addition of JVZ.

JVZ's game is not w/o its deficiencies, but he adds something that the 'Cats never had during the time I've been following them.

A big w/ superior athletics/hops. This not only helps on the defensive end and for rbding, but we probably will see more alley-oop dunks in this upcoming season than we ever had at NU.

Whether playing the 5 or being paired w/ Olah (imagine Olah positioned to the left-front of the basket w/ BMC having the option of dishing it out to a shooter, passing it to Olah, throwing an alley-oop to a moving JVZ or taking it himself to the basket.

Of course, the continued improvement of the underclassmen and the other frosh (Ash - allowing BMC to cut down on his minutes) and the injury situation will all play a role as well, but the 'Cats have added shooters and a big who can really attack the basket.

Improved D all around is also definitely a must.

Look at all the Carmody teams that made it to the NIT and try telling me with a straight face that you don't think this team is going to be better and not marginally so.

I agree that the 12 players on this squad are collectively head and shoulders better than any 12 we have seen before. But somehow Carmody always had one elite Big 10 player, whether it was Coble, Shurna, or Crawford. Let's see who emerges as that player on this team. I happen to think it will be Demps. NU needs to have the guy who they can count on to have the cojones to shoot and make the shot for the win in a tight game.

NCAA tournament. This is the year. To do that we need:

1. Mac to shake off his late season fade and be the leader of this team.

2. Olah to be consistent over the course of the season.

3. Demps to continue to play his maturing game and hit those clutch shots.

4. Law continuing to improve and hit those key shots while using his added muscle to be a shutdown defender.

5. JVZ defending and dunking.

6. Bench needs to fill their roles - Falzon, Skelly, Lindsay, Ash, Pardon, Lumpkin, Taphorn. Question is how deep will CC go?

What can go wrong? INJURIES

I'm pretty optimistic about getting to the big dance this year as I see this years talent level taking a broad step up in maturity.

Olah. We have seen him improve his game noticeably each year. This year, he should continue that trajectory plus he has been practicing against JvZ, a practice opponent the likes of which he has never had. JvZ's presence on the team as a back up and on the floor as a forward will open him up and allow him to play more aggressively and risk a few more fouls

JvZ. Athletic up grade from Kreisberg as is, will grow from the coaching change as coach James seems to have a reputation for coaching Bigs.

Demps should be at the top of his game. I don't know if he has much up side from last year but he was very strong last year and should produce as he always has.

Mac, Law and Lindsey got enough playing time last year to know what they have to do to improve. They are not rookies any more.

Taphorn, Lumpkin and Skelly will be stronger, and more experienced and continue to benefit from the practice with a team that is more athletic each year.

The new freshmen are highly regarded and able to contribute some good minutes, perhaps matching up well against certain opponents.

Go Cats!!

I agree that the 12 players on this squad are collectively head and shoulders better than any 12 we have seen before. But somehow Carmody always had one elite Big 10 player, whether it was Coble, Shurna, or Crawford. Let's see who emerges as that player on this team. I happen to think it will be Demps. NU needs to have the guy who they can count on to have the cojones to shoot and make the shot for the win in a tight game.

. NU needs to have the guy who they can count on to have the cajones to shoot and make the shot for the win in a tight game???? Hello??? Did you not see Demps last year? The Michigan game? Cajones he does not lack.

This said, your elite B1G player is Olah. He may be the preeminent big in the league this year. He will be all-conference. Question of whether it's 1st, 2nd or 3rd team.

Law is exploding over the summer. Mac is as steady as they come. Neither are B1G elite yet, but they are very good.

JvZ brings us something that we were sorely missing. If Falzon can step up and play to his hype, watch out.

I love your willingness to take a small quote like Law "has made the biggest jump" and get super optimistic about it.
Well Law has the biggest upside of last seasons recruits and play during the final couple of months just scratched the surface. At least Collins seems to think so, which is good enough for me.

Reactions: NJCat83588
ADVERTISEMENT