ADVERTISEMENT

2015 CBE Classic includes Northwestern

HartPU

Jan 14, 2003
Kansas State, Missouri, North Carolina and Northwestern make up the four-team field for the CBE Classic tournament Nov. 23-24. Would be interesting to see NU take on a blue blood like UNC.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/article10531832.html#storylink=cpy

The only time I can ever remember playing Carolina was way back perhaps in the late 70s??? at McGaw. Dean Smith was the coach and they schooled us by 20-30 points. We did beat K-State in Manhattan a few years ago in the highlight of Jimmy Maley's brief Cats career. Of course, we just played Mizzu and lost 15 months ago in Vegas. This is one tough field. Chris is upping the ante for next year's team.

Did this post get stuck in the Rivals server for a few months and just posted now? This is old news.

It'll be fun- I hope- to see us play a couple of these teams, but we did play UCLA and Missouri last season, so this isn't our first "real" non-conference tournament.

I don't mind toughening up the schedule, but this is as close to a certain 0-2 as you're going to get. Still, it's good to have an early-season measuring stick.

Here's the release from NU....

Northwestern to Compete in 2015 CBE Hall of Fame Classic

Wildcats will joined by North Carolina, Missouri and Kansas State

EVANSTON, Ill. -- Northwestern will join North Carolina, Kansas State and Missouri for the championship rounds of the 2015 CBE Hall of Fame Classic November 23 and 24 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo. The National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) announced the field today.

"Northwestern is extremely excited to participate in what should be an outstanding CBE Hall of Fame Classic next season," Northwestern head coach Chris Collins said. "We're thrilled to be a part of such a challenging field that will test our team. It's a tremendous opportunity to compete in what should be one of the top in-season tournaments in a great city like Kansas City."

The semifinal rounds will be held on Monday, November 23. The finals will take place the following day, Tuesday, November 24, beginning with the consolation game, followed by the championship game. All four games will be aired on the ESPN networks.

Tickets for the championship round games at Sprint Center will be available beginning Friday, March 20th at 10:00am CST through www.cbehalloffameclassic.com, by phone at 1-888-929-7849 or in person at Sprint Center Box Office.

The complete bracket, including matchups and television broadcast times for the 2015 CBE Hall of Fame Classic, will be announced at a later date.

For more information on the CBE Hall of Fame Classic, please visit www.cbehalloffameclassic.com or follow them on Twitter at @CBEHOFClassic.

CBE Hall of Fame Classic Championship Rounds

Monday, November 23
Semifinal Doubleheader
Sprint Center - Kansas City, Mo.

Tuesday, November 24
Championship Doubleheader
Sprint Center - Kansas City, Mo.

About the CBE Hall of Fame Classic
The event is named after the College Basketball Experience, the award-winning and highly interactive college basketball fan facility adjacent to Sprint Center, which also features the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame. Opened in October 2007, the College Basketball Experience is the nation's only facility that celebrates, in its entirety, the sport of men's collegiate basketball. The tournament, in partnership with the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC), was initially established in 2001 as the Guardians Classic.The CBE Hall of Fame Classic is produced by Blue Ridge Sports & Entertainment, Inc. Blue Ridge Sports & Entertainment, Inc. is a sports management firm based in the Shenandoah Valley city of Winchester, Virginia. For more information on Blue Ridge Sports & Entertainment, Inc. please visit www.blueridgesports.com and follow us on Twitter at @BRSEinc.

Missouri isn't good this season. And KSU is respectable but barring a huge late season run will not be a tournament team, they are below the middle of the Big 12 (13-13, 6-7 right now, but have lost 5 of 6). UNC is UNC true, but right now they are primarily built on an excellent front-line. They're playing well, but far from unbeatable.

Heck, we beat Wisconsin last year, and a bunch of teams that were of or better than the quality of Mizzou and KSU. A couple that were of the quality of UNC.

So while we likely won't be favored (unless we play Missouri and they are as bad or worse next year), I think it's far from a certain 0-2. I think a good early-season measuring stick is a good way to describe it. Now I wouldn't go scheduling another 5 teams of UNC's caliber out of conference though...

Actually, I had no idea Mizzou was that terrible. I take it back -- we'd be rightly favored on a neutral floor against them. Not against KSU or especially UNC, though KSU wouldn't be a massive upset.

That won't be a neutral floor given the proximity of Mizzou ... but it will be a very good test for us and potentially a coming-out party if we can win both games. 1-1 would be great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT