ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24 All-Big Ten Basketball Teams

When you take a step back and try to see the forest, awards tend to have some weird things:

1) 16 players are listed as "All". In a balanced world that is 1 player per team and 2 players for 2 of those teams
2) A truly dreadful team like Maryland has 2 players
3) A solid team like Nebraska has 1 player and I find him terribly overrated
4) Less than the entire starting 5 for Purdue gets awarded

I’m not surprised to see Barnheiser get overlooked by the Rivals crowd, who don’t strike me as the most regionally attentive group (it seems like they more just follow their own teams and whoever their team is playing that week). Brooks does everything very well, but isn’t elite at any one thing that demands attention. His offensive game is productive but also weirdly quiet most of the time, he just quietly racks up a great number of points within the offense. A lot of his best contributions are non-stat, like his important and flexible defense and his secondary ball handling abilities.

Anyway, there are a lot of amazing players on the list and while I agree Brooks should be on the third team, I’m not surprised.

Reactions: ricko654321
Braden Smith on the first team? Are you kidding me? So we give out awards to guys who dump the ball into Zach Edey and then get out of the way? He struggles to beat guys off the dribble. He struggles to defend. He's an ok shooter, but not terribly consistent. All he does is pass the ball to Zach Edey. That's nowhere near the same universe as Boo or even Jahmir from MD.

Braden Smith on the first team? Are you kidding me? So we give out awards to guys who dump the ball into Zach Edey and then get out of the way? He struggles to beat guys off the dribble. He struggles to defend. He's an ok shooter, but not terribly consistent. All he does is pass the ball to Zach Edey. That's nowhere near the same universe as Boo or even Jahmir from MD.
Ah.... now I see the author of that piece is from BoilerUpload. The PU homerism makes a little more sense now. Can't wait to see that PU team struggle next year without Edey. They will be good because Painter is a good coach and seems to reload pretty well, but those individual players listed are not that special.

Braden Smith is statistically unimpressive compared to his peers and is obviously dependent on the dominant play of Edey for Smith's best stat - assists. It's rather embarrassing that he is held is such high regard without recognizing how mediocre he would be without an actual star carrying all the weight.

Braden Smith is statistically unimpressive compared to his peers and is obviously dependent on the dominant play of Edey for Smith's best stat - assists. It's rather embarrassing that he is held is such high regard without recognizing how mediocre he would be without an actual star carrying all the weight.
Interestingly he was one of only six players nominated for the Bob Cousy award which is for the best point guard in america. Boo was not on it.

Reactions: PurpleFaze
Right. Boo was on the list for a while, maybe top 25? But eventually fell off for reasons.

Smith in no way deserves to be on that list. He's decent, he's way way better than he was last year, he should be excellent by next conference season. But he doesn't deserve that honor this year.

Smith wasn’t on the initial list and so many people complained he made the final list. I thought Boo actually had a shot of winning it all.

Smith wasn’t on the initial list and so many people complained he made the final list. I thought Boo actually had a shot of winning it all.
I cannot say I’ve seen any other candidates, but I find it tough to believe Boo is not one of the top five PGs in the country.

In addition to Braden Smith, apparently Alabama’s Mark Sears was *also* named a finalist after not making the midseason list.

Boo is better than Braden Smith. Geez.

Interestingly he was one of only six players nominated for the Bob Cousy award which is for the best point guard in america. Boo was not on it.
Wait they took boo off and kept smith on!?!

He is due for a wake up call next season when he doesn’t have Edey

Smith was a consensus first team media and coaches guy in the real awards too, behind a unanimous Boo, of course. The nonsense of leaving Boo off the national PG award aside, Smith is a very legit PG and deserves high conference honors.

TSJ as consensus first team… yeah not sure about that one.

Smith was a consensus first team media and coaches guy in the real awards too, behind a unanimous Boo, of course. The nonsense of leaving Boo off the national PG award aside, Smith is a very legit PG and deserves high conference honors.

TSJ as consensus first team… yeah not sure about that one

Shannon is the second best player in the league. Why wouldn’t he be first team unless you are prejudging him. He is not accused of intercourse. Just grabbing in a public place.

Shannon denies that he did it. The DNA does not match him. Kansas players were with him and are testifying. Are you against innocent until proven guilty?

Shannon is the second best player in the league. Why wouldn’t he be first team unless you are prejudging him. He is not accused of intercourse. Just grabbing in a public place.

Shannon denies that he did it. The DNA does not match him. Kansas players were with him and are testifying. Are you against innocent until proven guilty?
Lol, he is definitely not the second best player in the league. He’s not even the second best scorer in the league.

2nd best?

There were two unanimous players and he wasn’t one of them. It’s Edey and Buie and then the rest aren’t close.

Reactions: TheC

Bizarre post, even more bizarre than whatever triggers you to post here.

Reactions: NUCat320
Lol, he is definitely not the second best player in the league. He’s not even the second best scorer in the league.
Why do people continually take the bait from this guy? I guess it provides amusement, but other than that, his subtle condescension offers nothing of quality to this board.

Why do people continually take the bait from this guy? I guess it provides amusement, but other than that, his subtle condescension offers nothing of quality to this board.
That last one was so silly that my "lol" was legitimate, don't think I exactly "took the bait" from him.

Reactions: TheC

There are so many things wrong with this post. If there was any doubt that you are a moron and a troll, no longer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT