ADVERTISEMENT

4-star big man Barret Benson talks about NU official visit

The Wildcats rolled out the red carpet for four-star center Barret Benson for his official visit last week.

Story: Benson enjoys NU official ($)
Benson is the type of local prospect you can't miss on in the building process Collins has undertaken. The odds of landing another big man with his personal and athletic qualities aren't good. Down the road, with demonstrated success, you can cast your net wider with some confidence. But at this stage of the process, you have to score with the right fits that were raised closer to home. And should Benson end up in Evanston playing for the Cats, we'll have another well-recognized local guy lobbying others like Justin Smith to join the fun. That's how building a college b-ball program from scratch gets done....with players recruiting players.

GOUNUII

Benson is the type of local prospect you can't miss on in the building process Collins has undertaken. The odds of landing another big man with his personal and athletic qualities aren't good. Down the road, with demonstrated success, you can cast your net wider with some confidence. But at this stage of the process, you have to score with the right fits that were raised closer to home. And should Benson end up in Evanston playing for the Cats, we'll have another well-recognized local guy lobbying others like Justin Smith to join the fun. That's how building a college b-ball program from scratch gets done....with players recruiting players.

GOUNUII

On that note, GO JORDAN ASH.

Benson would be a fantastic get. We would be on our way with him.

On that note, GO JORDAN ASH.

Benson would be a fantastic get. We would be on our way with him.
I'd like to think we are already on our way, but getting Benson would just zip us ahead that much further! Exciting times!!

GOUNUII
You can miss on him but getting him makes the process faster and smoother.

I'd like to think we are already on our way, but getting Benson would just zip us ahead that much further! Exciting times!!
I would like to think the same thing Mr. C. But history teaches us that we're still a nationally known "name" recruit from making a game changing leap in both the perception and performance of this team. I think we'll be over that hump with Benson AND in 2017, a guy like Justin Smith. Right now, we are building depth and balance with quality recruits. But we'll be positioned for the break through recruit in 2017 if we can keep Benson at home and continue the ascent on the Court. One of those 2017 gems is likely to be Smith. My crystal ball tells me he could mean to us what Gene Banks meant for Duke basketball.

GOUNUII

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT