ADVERTISEMENT

50 questions recruit's mom had for Harbaugh

Mom of a recruit had 50 written questions for Harbaugh to answer when he was recruiting her son to Stanford. The article says Harbaugh was so impressed by her that she is now on staff at UM.

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2015/may/21/recruiting-questionnaire-parents-college-athletics/

It's a great questionnaire, but she should asked Harbaugh several more questions...

1) In the event my son verbally commits to your program, do you honor that verbal agreement in the event that you also receive subsequent verbal agreements from players you deem more athletic?

2) How closely before signing day do alert players of their school admission status?

3) Over each of the past five years, how many players have committed to your program only to de-commit because of uncertainty over their admissions status or because they were ultimately unable to gain admission?
- What were the SAT and/or ACT scores and high school GPAs of these prospects?
- Of players that fell into this category, please provide a name and phone number so that we can call them as a reference.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Mom of a recruit had 50 written questions for Harbaugh to answer when he was recruiting her son to Stanford. The article says Harbaugh was so impressed by her that she is now on staff at UM.

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2015/may/21/recruiting-questionnaire-parents-college-athletics/

I dealt with Ms. Bush directly when we were recruiting Wayne to Northwestern and actually had the pleasure of filling out said survey (which was sent to every school recruiting her son, not just Stanford).

She was, uh... interesting, to say the least.

Frankly, there are several questions (weather? Twice, I think.) that are disrespectful to ask. Do your research, kid. Flight schedules are readily available, too.

They could find a lot out about the city demographics and neighborhoods near the school using Google, zillow, etc.

OK, the player's mom joined Harbaugh's staff at Michigan, and then the player transferred to the school for his fifth year. Is this not a NCAA violation? I'm guessing not, since it happened without apparent incident, but it still seems strange. I'm guessing the rules would be different for a kid coming out of high school.

So if a school can indeed hire the parent of a prospective student-athlete, what's to say this option isn't ever abused? I mean, if a talented graduate transfer is looking at your school and a couple of others, then just offer his mom or dad a nice spot in the athletic department for $100k a year. I bet some boosters would pony up the money to subsidize that...

OK, the player's mom joined Harbaugh's staff at Michigan, and then the player transferred to the school for his fifth year. Is this not a NCAA violation? I'm guessing not, since it happened without apparent incident, but it still seems strange. I'm guessing the rules would be different for a kid coming out of high school.

So if a school can indeed hire the parent of a prospective student-athlete, what's to say this option isn't ever abused? I mean, if a talented graduate transfer is looking at your school and a couple of others, then just offer his mom or dad a nice spot in the athletic department for $100k a year. I bet some boosters would pony up the money to subsidize that...

Not surprisingly this is a fairly common occurrence with high school coaches and "advisors" in the $EC - both in football and basketball.

My high school coach took it a step further and adopted a star 8th grade RB who went on to play for Illinois named Havard. His mother was an addict and unable to properly care for the kid.

Frankly, there are several questions (weather? Twice, I think.) that are disrespectful to ask. Do your research, kid. Flight schedules are readily available, too.
The coach is easier to impress than I thought...or perhaps he really wanted the player to spend his fifth year at Mich.
Fact is a lot of those questions shouldn't have been asked, not only because the answers COULD be found through simple web search, but also because they SHOULD be found in such a way, just to make sure the answers are RIGHT (objectively) (if the questions are important enough to be asked to begin with, which isn't necessarily the case with a number of those questions).

The coach is easier to impress than I thought...or perhaps he really wanted the player to spend his fifth year at Mich.
Fact is a lot of those questions shouldn't have been asked, not only because the answers COULD be found through simple web search, but also because they SHOULD be found in such a way, just to make sure the answers are RIGHT (objectively) (if the questions are important enough to be asked to begin with, which isn't necessarily the case with a number of those questions).

Well, she can still research the questions and find out if the coaching staff is honest with their answers.

Not surprisingly this is a fairly common occurrence with high school coaches and "advisors" in the $EC - both in football and basketball.

Wasn't that close to what happened with Reggie Bush resulting in USC getting sanctioned? I guess it is only a no-no if a PAC 10 school tries to play by SEC rules.

Well it happened at Illinois a few years back when they hired the HC from a Peoria HS and then got commitments from his sons, both top rated players. Think it also occurred at Kansas when dad was hired as an assitant and his top rated kid followed and I'm sure it happens that way a many Div. I programs.

PERHAPS, if a coach is recruiting a player and wants him to come to school, as many many coaches did, he SHOULD answer as many questions the recruit or his mom wants to know. If a coach COULDN'T, find the time to do that then it's apparent that the coach didn't care enough to do the work, or have a lackey do it. PERHAPS, coaches aren't going to lie or get questions wrong about things that are easily google-able. PERHAPS, this was a good way to get a database together to start narrowing down options of his 36 listed offers, that didn't include NU and apparently we were recruiting him. PERHAPS, this was a great way to make an informed decision and is a lot better than what school has the cutest girls, what school through the best party on his visit, or what school had the best record the previous 2-3 years.

We definitely recruited and offered Wayne Lyons. I literally sent out the offer letter and response to his self-serving "questionnaire" myself. Though the "questionnaire" probably made it easier for the family, I can tell you that it also rubbed PLENTY of staffs the wrong way. PERHAPS you should try a little harder next time.

Last edited:

The majority of these questions are idotic. This list is rude and disrespectful of the coach's time. There are about 20 questions in here that she couldn't find on Google in 30 seconds or less. I will say this: a smart staff should have an FAQ sheet that they can give to recruits to answer a lot of these basic questions. That would be a nice touch and would show that the coach is respectful of THEIR time...

We definitely recruited and offered Wayne Lyons. I literally sent out the offer letter and response to his self-serving "questionnaire" myself. Though the "questionnaire" probably made it easier for the family, I can tell you that it also rubbed PLENTY of staffs the wrong way. PERHAPS you should try a little harder next time.

Sounds like you're having a bad day.

It rubbed staff the wrong way, why? Because they would have to do some meaningful work for this recruit rather than send them a hundred fricking inspirational quotes or other lame-ass, rah rah crapola?

If anything, many questions in her letter could be the outline for a meaningful information sheet to send to recruits, "50 Questions and Answers about Playing Football at Northwestern"

Last edited:
Exactly, I'm not a fan of some of these questions, but I don't blame a person for asking them. I especially like the last question: What do you feel are Wayne's attributes that he brings to the table as a recruit? If a coach can't answer that, then he shouldn't be recruiting a kid. Others about airports... I think whatever, but I give the mom credit for asking what's important to her. Harbaugh saw something in her and is probably going to get together that FAQ sheet to send to recruits. Having a mother of a former recruit sounds like a pretty damn good way to figure out what actually matters to recruits and their families. Personally, I wouldn't have been able to think of something like a kid from the south not being able to afford a winter wardrobe coming to Northwestern, but it makes good sense. The difference between GCG's take on this and Harbaugh's kind of shows me how Harbaugh is such a good recruiter.

Where exactly did I say that it was our staff who was rubbed the wrong way? Recruiting staffs across the country compare notes and talk all the time.

At NU, we happily completed the questionnaire within the given timeline (and yes, it was delivered with a "due date") because we wanted every chance possible to get Wayne to Northwestern. In the end, our academic angle wasn't enough to outdraw Stanford's (plus they had the weather) or the "name" programs he ended up visiting officially (Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, UCLA).

Last edited:
Sounds like you're having a bad day.

It rubbed staff the wrong way, why? Because they would have to do some meaningful work for this recruit rather than send them a hundred fricking inspirational quotes or other lame-ass, rah rah crapola?

If anything, many questions in her letter could be the outline for a meaningful information sheet to send to recruits, "50 Questions and Answers about Playing Football at Northwestern"

As posted above, it wasn't our staff. And yes, most of the information in the questionnaire was either readily available or part of our recruiting plan already.

Where exactly did I say that it was our staff who was rubbed the wrong way? Recruiting staffs across the country compare notes and talk all the time.

Really?! Why would they communicate with each other? Can you elaborate on that.

Really?! Why would they communicate with each other? Can you elaborate on that.

It's hardly ever specific to individual players -- usually more how they deal with academic restrictions (if they have any), etc. More administrative things.

That said, there were plenty of guys who called and said "have you seen this frigging questionnaire?"

Last edited:
It seemed to have rubbed your the wrong way and you were on staff. I got this from the statement like: " I literally sent out the offer letter and response to his self-serving "questionnaire" myself." Then when you said it rubbed plenty of staffs the wrong way, it sounded like you saying that you weren't alone in this cementing my feeling that it rubbed you and possibly our staff the wrong way.

Still don't agree with your premise though. I mean yes, it's a self-serving questionnaire, but isn't anything you do to gain information on what college you want to go to self-serving? I'm just saying, I like the way he went about it.

I was using "perhaps" and the capital letters to mock Feli's constantly contrarian (Iowa fan) POV... like when he says stuff like "PERHAPS, if Northwestern hired a more experience coach after Walker's death, the trajectory of wins would 455 NS 8888888888888888" (NS of course being Nick Saban). I mean you really can't argue with that. Saban is a great coach. He MIGHT never lose a game as the NU coach. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Nick Saban will never lose 1 game as head coach of Northwestern football or men's lacrosse.

The "perhaps" was directed at the all-knowing tone of the original post. Putting "questionnaire" in quotes was because it felt more like a final exam than a questionnaire. Took quite a while to put together answers that were sufficient for Ms. Bush.

The "perhaps" was directed at the all-knowing tone of the original post. Putting "questionnaire" in quotes was because it felt more like a final exam than a questionnaire. Took quite a while to put together answers that were sufficient for Ms. Bush.

The only sad thing is that these were the parent's questions, and not the student/athlete's. That said it is understandable how a parent would like to at least have the illusion of some degree of control.

The only sad thing is that these were the parent's questions, and not the student/athlete's. That said it is understandable how a parent would like to at least have the illusion of some degree of control.
My impression is there is a whole lot of controlling going on.:)

gcg, wondering if you could share what type of questions that were submitted, without getting to personal. The amount of questions seemed excessive and maybe not in the best interests of the kid. Really wondering how Harbaugh answered them.

gcg, wondering if you could share what type of questions that were submitted, without getting to personal. The amount of questions seemed excessive and maybe not in the best interests of the kid. Really wondering how Harbaugh answered them.

The 50 questions linked in the initial article.

The 50 questions linked in the initial article.
Thanks, I didn't see that. Some very good questions and some that should have been directed to the Chamber of Commerce or the NCAA Rules Committee. Noticed the one regarding distance between campus and game and practice facilities. Need to get the much anticipated practice facility finished ASAP.

Last edited:
I'm sure many of the questions are asked verbally as potential recruits and their parents are meeting with coaches. Harbaugh "hiring" this parent is an example of his continued attempt to create hype in him and his program. Kind of like Michigan coaches publicized contact with a prospects girlfriend, some of his social media comments, or the invitation of coaches from other programs to participate in Michigan camps.

While I understand why Harbaugh is trying to attract attention after years of mediocrity, and that he is a bit eccentric, he has to be careful in not becoming a caricature of himself.

I'm sure many of the questions are asked verbally as potential recruits and their parents are meeting with coaches. Harbaugh "hiring" this parent is an example of his continued attempt to create hype in him and his program. Kind of like Michigan coaches publicized contact with a prospects girlfriend, some of his social media comments, or the invitation of coaches from other programs to participate in Michigan camps.

While I understand why Harbaugh is trying to attract attention after years of mediocrity, and that he is a bit eccentric, he has to be careful in not becoming a caricature of himself.

Klemman, you've always added great value to this board, and this was, without doubt, your best post yet.

Sad for you and for all of us, it's working. Michigan is gonna start winning a bunch, and soon.

Thanks Cat320. I post was pretty much what I would say if we were having a discussion in person at a bar. Some people post things that they would never say if it weren't with the anonymity and safety of a keyboard and screen. Not specific to this board, but any board discussing any subject.

Regarding Michigan I think Harbaugh will be successful at Michigan, be in contention for conference and National Championships, win a lot of games, and have some wins against OSU. But I don't think that he'll have the type of uncontested domination and automatic success that some of the more fanatical Maize and Blue fans are predicting.

It's a great questionnaire, but she should asked Harbaugh several more questions...

1) In the event my son verbally commits to your program, do you honor that verbal agreement in the event that you also receive subsequent verbal agreements from players you deem more athletic?

2) How closely before signing day do alert players of their school admission status?

3) Over each of the past five years, how many players have committed to your program only to de-commit because of uncertainty over their admissions status or because they were ultimately unable to gain admission?
- Of players that fell into this category, please provide a name and phone number so that we can call them as a reference.
This is, by far, the most pertinent post of this entire thread. There IS no second place.

FERPA may prohibit some of your suggestions in #3, but conceptually you're dead on.

My high school coach took it a step further and adopted a star 8th grade RB who went on to play for Illinois named Havard. His mother was an addict and unable to properly care for the kid.
He adopted the kid named Havard (sic) so nobody would Yale at him.

I heard the kid was trouble. He could run like a Dart, mouth off at the coaches, and expected to be treated like a Prince,tonoavail

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT