ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone notice that drew's dad is reffing tonight

He almost blew the game with that horrible out of bounds play call. All's well that ends well.

He almost blew the game with that horrible out of bounds play call. All's well that ends well.

It wasn't even a call, really. He blew the whistle to stop play because he had to, given all the contact. Then he and the other refs huddled to figure out what exactly had happened. It was kind of an embarrassing moment, but then they regained their senses and realized they could review the play on the monitor. Watched it again, saw K. Thompson standing out of bounds when touching the ball, gave the ball back to the Cavs, everything's good.

When he's on the court, I always pay special attention because he's Drew's dad. He's one of the best in the game (which is why he's always there in the Finals) and seems to be highly respected by the players and coaches.

He eventually got it right and that's what counts. To me, it was clear when it happened that Dellavedova was fouled in the inbounds play.

He eventually got it right and that's what counts. To me, it was clear when it happened that Dellavedova was fouled in the inbounds play.

How can you tell? The guy hits the floor the second a dust particle flies by...then he looks for the nearest set of knees and ankles to go at.

Some controversy today that the original call was an inadvertant whistle, which is not reviewable. Will be interesting to see what the NBA sats about the whole sequence.

How can you tell? The guy hits the floor the second a dust particle flies by...then he looks for the nearest set of knees and ankles to go at.

Because he was bumped and then pulled out of bounds. The contact was pretty obvious to me watching on my wide screen.

An even more obvious foul that was missed was LBJ rushing up and making the strip on Curry. I think he even knocked Curry to the ground on that play...no call and a turnover to the Cavs.

Because he was bumped and then pulled out of bounds. The contact was pretty obvious to me watching on my wide screen.

An even more obvious foul that was missed was LBJ rushing up and making the strip on Curry. I think he even knocked Curry to the ground on that play...no call and a turnover to the Cavs.

They seem to be letting this series get very physical, and that's a big advantage for the Cavs as they want to shorten the clock and make things ugly. Curry and Thompson aren't heavily built guys and will have trouble with the rough stuff if it's not called. One of Lebron's strengths is that he's built like a bull and can play any style.

Some controversy today that the original call was an inadvertant whistle, which is not reviewable. Will be interesting to see what the NBA sats about the whole sequence.

I don't fault him for blowing the whistle. Something happened on the play, whether it was a foul or a player being out of bounds, and I'm glad they stopped play to discuss. In retrospect, I also liked that Crawford didn't rush to call the foul on Thompson, because that wouldn't have been reviewable. They took the time to get it right and to decide that it was a question of possession (not a foul), and then since they had the opportunity to review it, they were able to see that Thompson was clearly standing out of bounds while touching the ball. Call reversed, Cavs ball. They ended up getting it right, which is the best outcome, especially near the end of a game where every possession is so important.

Yeah, I also thought that was a foul the first time when I saw it, but after watching the replay, it appears that LeBron clearly got to the ball and knocked it away before he ran into Curry. If he had hit Curry first, thus knocking away the ball with the contact, then that would be a foul, but in this case, the contact appeared to happen after the ball was already out. Good no-call, IMO.

Yeah, I also thought that was a foul the first time when I saw it, but after watching the replay, it appears that LeBron clearly got to the ball and knocked it away before he ran into Curry. If he had hit Curry first, thus knocking away the ball with the contact, then that would be a foul, but in this case, the contact appeared to happen after the ball was already out. Good no-call, IMO.

That doesn't really matter per the rule book. Charging into an opponent is a foul regardless of the location or possession of the ball.

That doesn't really matter per the rule book. Charging into an opponent is a foul regardless of the location or possession of the ball.

Yeah, I know, but in reality it's going to be called differently depending on the circumstances I described, especially late in the game like when it happened. If LeBron hits Curry and knocks the ball out like a LB hitting a WR over the middle, then the refs call a foul, no question. But when he makes a nice play on the ball and then makes contact with Curry, the refs may swallow their whistles, like they did last night.

I'm glad the refs are letting them be physical and aren't calling ticky-tack fouls. I think guys are too often looking to force contact because they know they can get the refs to call fouls. Let 'em play. There were at least two times last night when D. Green drove hard into Mozgov, trying to draw the foul. Mozgov went straight up, hands in the air. No call. Contact like that is often called as either a foul or a charge, and I loved the no call. And then Van Gundy had a great comment about how that would have been a good opportunity for Green to have instead taken a mid-range jumper. We don't see as many of those anymore. Guys either shoot threes or drive to the basket. It's fun to watch talented guards like C. Paul and T. Parker find an open spot on the floor to hit a mid-range jumper. Not a lot of guys do that anymore, even a great shooter like Curry. I miss the days when guys would (intentionally) bank 10-foot jumpers off the glass. That's a cool shot.

Glades-it's called a slide tackle-you will see it 20 times a game. As long as you get the ball first, contact is allowed

Glades-it's called a slide tackle-you will see it 20 times a game. As long as you get the ball first, contact is allowed

Huh? Curry had the ball taken way from him after a collision.

(I assume yu are just kidding)

Huh? Curry had the ball taken way from him after a collision.

(I assume yu are just kidding)

Incidental contact is not a foul in the NBA after a clean steal or block. You always see guys knock over a player after making a clean block. In this case, the ref ruled that Lebron stole the ball and then made contact. I believe the NBA confirmed the right call was made as well.

re: Crawford whistle. One thing you never do as a ref is blow the whistle and be indecisive. You blow the whistle and make a call (exception being an out of bounds ball that you don't see and request help from a ref with better angle). He knows they have replay. I assumed it was an inadvertant whistle since no call was made.

Incidental contact is not a foul in the NBA after a clean steal or block. You always see guys knock over a player after making a clean block. In this case, the ref ruled that Lebron stole the ball and then made contact. I believe the NBA confirmed the right call was made as well.

re: Crawford whistle. One thing you never do as a ref is blow the whistle and be indecisive. You blow the whistle and make a call (exception being an out of bounds ball that you don't see and request help from a ref with better angle). He knows they have replay. I assumed it was an inadvertant whistle since no call was made.

But he made the steal by knocking him to the floor. I'd like to know how they called that. If they ruled that he had made the steal, then he took the ball away a hundredth of a second or two before knocking Curry to the ground. i'd have to see that play again in slow motion.

As far as the out of bounds play goes, I'm glad that he had the sense to get the call correct.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT