ADVERTISEMENT

Available scholarship

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Are we going after Nichols, or what do we do with it? I feel like we are loaded at the 3 (Law, Lumpkin, Lindsey - and arguably Falzon and Taphorn could play here too, and sounds like we might land the kid from Barrington).

I still think we are dangerously thin in the post. We are going to be very solid to great there this year, but Olah and JvZ graduate afterwards. Then what? We added Falzon, but he is no 5 and plays more like a 3, I think. We have Pardon, but he's one guy and somewhat underdersized. Skelly is more of a 4. Really, if you look at it, we would only have Skelly and Pardon who would qualify as post presences at all, and both would be undersized for a 5. know they don't grow on trees, but I wonder if we don't bank the scholarship for next year, or for a possible transfer candidate.

I keep hearing that Pardon is undersized. But I can assure you that when Pardon jumps his hands are at least half a foot higher (and probably a foot higher) than Olah's are when Olah jumps. Pardon is not a skinny kid, and he has an especially large wingspan. Yes, Pardon is more of a 4 than a true 5, but I think minute for minute Pardon will block more shots and get more rebounds than Olah.

Joe,

Agree about Pardon. I have seen this kid in person, and he is a big space-eater. Some of his rebounding performances have been incredible and he blocks a whole bunch of shots.

What's all this talk about ...

Pardon being more of a 4 than a true 5? He has the game of a true 5. He is 6-8ish, but plays larger ... both offensively and defensively. Think performance, not height, and the only thing you see in Pardon is a center. One who will run the floor, defend with toughness, block some shots and score when the opportunity is there. Hell, we've been clamoring for a drop step dunker -- jump hook center -- in the paint, and now we have one.

GOUNUII

Re: What's all this talk about ...

+1

it is apparent he is Olah's replacement with Hopefully another 5th year and 2016 big man

There's a great article on Grantland today about Kevin Love and the disappearance of the true 4. Love now takes 40 percent of his shots from three. As analytics have taken hold in hoops, we're finally understanding the importance of taking lots and lots of threes. The true four is rapidly going extinct, so post-bound players are going to be centers, period. (I can't link,
But Google "Kevin love grantland" and you're covered.)

MSU's two "centers" are listed at 6-9.

Right elga. I was about to add that MSU has had those type of centers for years and it seems to work out pretty well for them. Also Wisconsin "bigs" are usually under 6-10.

Regarding Nichols....NU was reported to be in the mix with Clemson, Tulane and Xavier as his final four.

Tulane has over recruited...has -3 spots left. Clemson and Xavier both have higher rated recruits coming in at his position. If it's among these four, think you have to put the money on NU if he's a kid who wants to see the floor.

I know that Dayton and Notre Dame were both giving him a hard look.

How tall is pardon these days? Some sites seem to have him listed at 6-7, some other sites say 6-8, and I think when he committed this site mentioned he was growing to closer to 6-10. He certainly seems to play big and has a nice wingspan.

I am interested to see what Collins does with recruiting big men in the next few years. I'm not sure he will want to add a similar player as Olah, because I think he will prefer a faster tempo and a more versatile defense. Then again I suppose you take the best talent you can get and Olah certainly has held up pretty well in conference play

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT