ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Portal

Pretty much. Young averaged about 11 minutes a game this year. Gillis will probably play about the same amount. We don’t have a roster spot for a someone like that, unfortunately.
No, we had roster spots last season for 2 guys to not play at all and two others who only play as a last resort........

No, we had roster spots last season for 2 guys to not play at all and two others who only play as a last resort........
And that’s the risk with relying on recruits. I just meant Duke has to fill out its roster. We have 3 spots that need to be filled with rotation guys. No room for potential towel waivers other than the 3rd big.

If the rumblings even before he made it official to the portal today are accurate, he’s Woody’s to lose. Hope IU gets him, but these things change quickly, like it seemed Essegian and Perkins were IU-bound too. His dad and 2 uncles (1 being Trent Gren) played football at IU. Wonder how Archie didn’t close that one?
Kopp 2.0

A friend of mine played golf with Wisconsin coach Greg Gard a year ago during the summer. Just randomly paired up. My friend asked Gard how he thought NIL and the transfer portal would affect the game. Three holes later, Gard had finished ranting.

Focus of Gard's 45 minute tirade - "It will destroy the college game" and "My whole team can be gone overnight."
Expressed to a stranger on a golf course.

I think he was correct on both points.
In light of this story, an interesting, circumspect, on-camera comment from Gard about NIL.

Of course, believing that NIL might ruin hoops, *and* understanding why two expected starters left are not necessarily conflicting viewpoints.

In light of this story, an interesting, circumspect, on-camera comment from Gard about NIL.

Of course, believing that NIL might ruin hoops, *and* understanding why two expected starters left are not necessarily conflicting viewpoints.
"Triple your income" was the key takeaway for me.
Says Wisconsin is paying players, but not really paying players.

It will ruin college sports for me.

There's something to be said for staying home, being comfortable and loyal, and doing the job you know how to do, but if you have any kind of wanderlust at all AND can triple your income, why would you stay?

I am really terrified that players I know are Wildcats through and through will just get offered so much money that they can't help but take the deal. Until we suit our players up in a real game in November I'll continue to worry.

There's something to be said for staying home, being comfortable and loyal, and doing the job you know how to do, but if you have any kind of wanderlust at all AND can triple your income, why would you stay?

I am really terrified that players I know are Wildcats through and through will just get offered so much money that they can't help but take the deal. Until we suit our players up in a real game in November I'll continue to worry.

As far as I know, the portal actually closes at some point...
Or did somebody sue the NCAA and get mid-game transfers approved?

As far as I know, the portal actually closes at some point...
Or did somebody sue the NCAA and get mid-game transfers approved?
Opened March 18, closes May 1st.

There are exceptions, graduate students or non scholarship students can enter at any time, or if a coach leaves after May 1st players have 30 days after that date to enter the portal (BYU this year for example).

It will probably top 2,000 names this year.

May 29 is the deadline for those testing NBA waters to stay in the draft or not.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy

Again, the value of an NU degree* is a huge benefit for NU. A kid who chooses NU out of high school on the basis of a ‘4 not 40’ pitch is less likely to head to a (ahem) lower-prestige university without first having finished at NU.

*the NU degree is overrated

Opened March 18, closes May 1st.

There are exceptions, graduate students or non scholarship students can enter at any time, or if a coach leaves after May 1st players have 30 days after that date to enter the portal (BYU this year for example).

It will probably top 2,000 names this year.

May 29 is the deadline for those testing NBA waters to stay in the draft or not.
And we have a few guys on our roster who graduate in the next couple months, right?

"Triple your income" was the key takeaway for me.
Says Wisconsin is paying players, but not really paying players.

It will ruin college sports for me.
I don’t know if it will ruin it for me but it’s definitely changed for the worse.

My son will be playing D3 basketball in the fall and he told me the other day that most of the kids that he knows that are committed already have one foot out the door just waiting for a better opportunity.

I don’t know if it will ruin it for me but it’s definitely changed for the worse.

My son will be playing D3 basketball in the fall and he told me the other day that most of the kids that he knows that are committed already have one foot out the door just waiting for a better opportunity.
But hasn’t that always been the case with D3 players? Who would stay in D3 if an opportunity to play D1 comes along, regardless of money?

I don’t like NIL but that Pandora’s box will not close. My only take is CCC has managed to make the tourney twice in 2 years and has kept the roster loaded with talent with NiL running rampant, so maybe it’s bad for college hoops, but we seem to be thriving.

Updated.

MI State and WI got their first transfers.

Iowa is still to get its first. At a minimum it suggests a weak NIL situation. Throw in there a screaming coach and it might not be an attractive place.

Reactions: macarthur31
Grad students must enter the portal by the 30th.
Just want to re-iterate that the NCAA changed the portal rules on grad transfers and made the new rule effective immediately. (This happened only a couple weeks ago)

It used to be that grad students could enter the portal at any time, so a guy like Paul Mulcahy graduated and entered the portal on June 9, 2023. It was significant leverage for the top grad students.

The NCAA changed that rule and grad students now have the same portal deadline as undergrads.
The 30 day exception for coaching changes still applies.

Probably screwed up some grad students who were planning to wait until desperate teams came calling.

Reactions: GatoLouco
But hasn’t that always been the case with D3 players? Who would stay in D3 if an opportunity to play D1 comes along, regardless of money?

I don’t like NIL but that Pandora’s box will not close. My only take is CCC has managed to make the tourney twice in 2 years and has kept the roster loaded with talent with NiL running rampant, so maybe it’s bad for college hoops, but we seem to be thriving.
Not just D3, he has friends/teammates that are also going D2 and NAIA. So many kids are being underrecruited right now because of the portal. They just have to prove themselves at a lower level and look to move up.

Not just D3, he has friends/teammates that are also going D2 and NAIA. So many kids are being underrecruited right now because of the portal. They just have to prove themselves at a lower level and look to move up.
Hockey - and to a lesser extent baseball - have already been like this for years. Other than the most talents elite HS prospects, guys are expected to play junior hockey for a couple years after HS to age and develop before entering college later. The major upperclassmen are all 23-25 years old and have had to work their way up.

Reactions: Kelly_32
You're describing minor league baseball.
That was a good system.
Guys who want to play right out of high school can play right out of high school.
Guys who want to go to college to develop or get an education can do that too.

System worked just fine.

Cam Christie is in the portal and I will officially coin MN as 💩

Do not contact tag.
IF Cam were to pull out of the draft (big IF), he’s the type of player that would be able to fill the hole at lead guard.

Doubt it would happen given the Christies don’t seem particularly interested in NU, even with the family connections, but it would still be worth reaching out if that scenario comes to pass.

IF Cam were to pull out of the draft (big IF), he’s the type of player that would be able to fill the hole at lead guard.

Doubt it would happen given the Christies don’t seem particularly interested in NU, even with the family connections, but it would still be worth reaching out if that scenario comes to pass.
We didn’t even recruit the kid out of HS. So that tells you something about the family connection,

We didn’t even recruit the kid out of HS. So that tells you something about the family connection,
According to 247, we offered.

But the timing would be incredibly weird to make it work. We would probably have to wait through the 29th. Then he'd have to drop out of the draft. We'd have to have a pile of NIL cash waiting. All while most attractive players would be gone.

According to 247, we offered.

But the timing would be incredibly weird to make it work. We would probably have to wait through the 29th. Then he'd have to drop out of the draft. We'd have to have a pile of NIL cash waiting. All while most attractive players would be gone.

I stand corrected. Maybe better to say, I don’t believe there was much reciprocal interest on the part of the Christie’s.

Reactions: GatoLouco
I stand corrected. Maybe better to say, I don’t believe there was much reciprocal interest on the part of the Christie’s.
He committed when it looked like Collins was going to get fired. There were rumors his brother was going to transfer to NU if he didn’t go the NBA, so hopefully there is some connection.

He is pretty one dimensional at this point (granted, a really important dimension). I would be surprised if he is drafted. But he would a great replacement for Langborg and it would give him a chance to develop his ballhandling.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
He committed when it looked like Collins was going to get fired. There were rumors his brother was going to transfer to NU if he didn’t go the NBA, so hopefully there is some connection.

He is pretty one dimensional at this point (granted, a really important dimension). I would be surprised if he is drafted. But he would a great replacement for Langborg and it would give him a chance to develop his ballhandling.
Makes sense to me.

I think we stop chasing shiny things and stick with underrated guys open to learning, defending and playing team ball.

I think we stop chasing shiny things and stick with underrated guys open to learning, defending and playing team ball.
OK. Lots of really talented players share those values. That’s why the really good teams tend to always be good and we are not. We got lucky with Martinelli and just had one of those underrated guys leave after his freshman year. If we are not going to go after talented players with connections to the school, we are going to struggle to be competitive on a consistent basis. Having one of the 5 best point guards in the country raised everybody’s level of play.

When Gonzaga became an established program, they didn’t continue to pursue the scrappy kids. They recruited better and better players.

Reactions: No Chores
Gonzaga also has zero academic requirements. Comparing their recruiting to NU is apples to bananas.
They recruit players we offer. Both Christie brothers were offered. As Gonzaga’s program developed, they went after more highly ranked players. Many couldn’t get into NU but that’s not my point. Now is the time to pursue recruits the coaches rank higher. Build on our success. Aim higher. Martinelli is the exception. I am not saying we are going to start getting 5-stars but we can mix in some 4-stars. Good players can be coached up just as much as mediocre players. Vic Law was our best defender.

They recruit players we offer. Both Christie brothers were offered. As Gonzaga’s program developed, they went after more highly ranked players. Many couldn’t get into NU but that’s not my point. Now is the time to pursue recruits the coaches rank higher. Build on our success. Aim higher. Martinelli is the exception. I am not saying we are going to start getting 5-stars but we can mix in some 4-stars. Good players can be coached up just as much as mediocre players. Vic Law was our best defender.

Yeah, he missed your point. I agree with you that it would be nice if NU could step up the quality of recruits, building on recent success, but to me the recruiting landscape has shifted pretty dramatically and we can't be certain of too much in the next few years.

Because all these lesser schools can now throw money at players they'd previously have no chance to sign, it just feels like our biggest advantage (the diploma) has been reduced in significance. On the other hand, the Ivy League will probably see a similar negative impact, which might help us with players who actually think long term.

Yeah, he missed your point. I agree with you that it would be nice if NU could step up the quality of recruits, building on recent success, but to me the recruiting landscape has shifted pretty dramatically and we can't be certain of too much in the next few years.

Because all these lesser schools can now throw money at players they'd previously have no chance to sign, it just feels like our biggest advantage (the diploma) has been reduced in significance. On the other hand, the Ivy League will probably see a similar negative impact, which might help us with players who actually think long term.
I don’t know how NIL factors into recruiting guys in the 75 to 175 range. If we are priced out, it’s going to be tough to consistently compete. I hope that is not the case but, if it is, I hope we can come up with a plan to make us competitive. Maybe Collins and his staff can consistently find good players that nobody else in the conference recruited, but I doubt it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT