ADVERTISEMENT

Barret Benson On NU Visit

Medill90

Jan 30, 2011
Nicest day of the year in Evanston, by far (too bad I spend the day at University of Chicago).

Luke Srodrowski (sp?) tweeted that Barret Benson visits NU today and separately wrote that it's an especially good fit among his final schools because he'd get to play...a lot....right away.

The skies are getting dark here. I think God is doing his best to clap at the prospect of Barret becoming a cat.

It's raining in Evanston because God is crying with happiness over the fact that Barret may become a cat.

Was really hoping CC and the Chicago soft sell were going to get BB's commitment Sunday. Great that he made the visit. Room for more hope.

Reactions: NUera
Anything??? Anything???
So obviously you're bored and want to know, so let's speculate..
possibilty
#1 he wasn't that impressed so he has nothing to share.
#2 he is having some serious thoughts about NU and doesn't want to just spout off the standard, "Everybody is great" blaa blaa blaa.
#3 He is a class act so he is taking the time to tell all the other coaches no before he announces.

If you think that is fun add your own ideas.

There's an article in today's Chicago Tribune that quotes his AAU coach talking about Benson's "process" and the fact that he's going to narrow down his list. Seems like this isn't going to happen fast. He has a lot of good options and really can't make a poor decision.

Yes, President Morton Shapiro is a big sports fan and has met with football and basketball recruits in selling Northwestern from the reports that I have read. It is a great improvement from prior Presidents who never understood the importance of a having good athletic teams is to helping the broaden NU brand and marketing and increase alumni donations and might increase the number of applications, etc.

Benson would be a great fit at NU both athletically and academically. His dad was a Purdue football player and played in the NFL. Also, there are seven Big 10 teams (at least from what I have read) who have offered (Illinois, Purdue, Iowa, Nebraska off the top of my head) and Stanford and NU's former chief recruiter Tavares Hardy who is now an assistant for Georgetown is going after Benson.

Hopefully, Benson understands how making a legacy and history along with playing in the top or one of the top conferences (2-3) in the nation puts NU ahead of others. Otherwise, Collins needs to have a back up plan and a back up to the back up plan because NU desperately needs another big guy in the 2016 class with the graduation of Olah and the transfer from Virginia Tech after next season.

< It is a great improvement from prior Presidents who never understood the importance of a having good athletic teams is to helping the broaden NU brand and marketing and increase alumni donations and might increase the number of applications, etc. >

GO ON, Walker Fan!

i really hope BB chooses NU. it is obviously a great fit for him from many standpoints, but really he will be in a position to play a lot with basically only DP as the big man on the roster. Stanford has much more to contend with for playing time.

BB and RI could be HUGE long term pieces for NU to cement their place along with VL and SL as the place to be for Illinois recruits

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
HJ, you're quite good at initials.

No mention of JA as making NU tP2B (the place to be) for CA (Chicago-area) recruits?

any word on Benson's remaining visits? Sounds like his decision might take to October...?

Philip Straus and I have both tried to reach Barrett multiple times since his visit. We haven't had any luck yet.

Maybe it was karma, but I finally got a hold of Benson tonight and talked to him about his visit. Look for a story tomorrow on WR.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT