ADVERTISEMENT

Benson Potential

charcat

Apr 11, 2006
Can Benson be the dominant presence in the middle we have rarely had, or is he one of 3 or 4 guys rotating in that play some under the basket and some nearby. I guess this will be the year to tell, seeing how he should have gained some strength and experience from last year.

What do you guys hear from practice and rumors?

What do you guys hear from practice and rumors?
We are going to be good ...

6a87541b1ca9711586de9e58cd3473d81bd25ce6fdceaf7cf27884ccfedb4f95.jpg

Reactions: mickbula
Really interested in Barrett's progress as well. He seemed to improve as season progressed
and CC indicated BB has successfully put work in to develop body/skills over last 6 months.
While I don't currently see Barrett as a NBA type "above the rim" player my hope/guess would
be that he and staff will grow his game yr. to yr. eventually becoming a very important contributor on some very good NU teams.

As our football team seems to flounder so far this season, I am getting psyched beyond control to see our basketball team play at Allstate arena this winter. I am hoping we can eek out at least a winning football season and win a bowl against someone like CFU or SDSU. Then, basketball will be in its prime again- hopefully even better than last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: cat inkansas
I loved everything I saw from Benson last year. Absolutely everything.

He's doing the work to bulk up so he can be more of a force on D. But his shot has been there since day 1. The kid shot sixty percent from the field last year. Now, it's the NU board so some douche will say, "those were two footers and dunks..." Stuff it. The kid has sweet mechanics out to the free throw line and maybe beyond. And he seems to have a heart for the ball. Good for him picking NU where coach James will do his thing and Benson will be getting national attention by his senior year.

I loved everything I saw from Benson last year. Absolutely everything.

He's doing the work to bulk up so he can be more of a force on D. But his shot has been there since day 1. The kid shot sixty percent from the field last year. Now, it's the NU board so some douche will say, "those were two footers and dunks..." Stuff it. The kid has sweet mechanics out to the free throw line and maybe beyond. And he seems to have a heart for the ball. Good for him picking NU where coach James will do his thing and Benson will be getting national attention by his senior year.
Hell, if Benson gets to take all 2 footers and dunks it means we're doing something right! He showed really good touch on his hook shot last season. I hope he continues to work on that. I've never understood why big men don't go to that shot more often. It's essentially unstoppable if you have decent touch. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what Benson can do this year!

He's also just a fun guy to root for too.

He got some good experience early on that he might not have gotten due to the Pardon injury, so I think we've all seen enough of him to know he's definitely not a question mark. I still have no idea what Rap can be, but I can extrapolate Benson out nicely over the next three years - he's going to be a good one.

Hell, if Benson gets to take all 2 footers and dunks it means we're doing something right! He showed really good touch on his hook shot last season. I hope he continues to work on that. I've never understood why big men don't go to that shot more often. It's essentially unstoppable if you have decent touch. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what Benson can do this year!
Maybe they can get Joe Ruklick to give him a few tips. he is the best hook shot guy NU has ever had. Just ask Wilt Chamberlain.

Really interested in Barrett's progress as well. He seemed to improve as season progressed
and CC indicated BB has successfully put work in to develop body/skills over last 6 months.
While I don't currently see Barrett as a NBA type "above the rim" player my hope/guess would
be that he and staff will grow his game yr. to yr. eventually becoming a very important contributor on some very good NU teams.
He already has been.

One of many exciting players on this NU team.

The team is so balanced he'll probably not have the opportunity to become a dominant presence.

It's an odd feeling to be so psyched about NU men's hoops, not so long ago the gulag of college basketball.

NU has already paid some injury dues last year, so here's hoping they can ALL stay healthy this season.

It's an odd feeling to be so psyched about NU men's hoops, not so long ago the gulag of college basketball.

NU has already paid some injury dues last year, so here's hoping they can ALL stay healthy this season.
Agree about being psyched. It is a new era!

And while I hope NU can remain injury free, very few teams do but NU showed last year it has the depth to withstand a couple of set-backs.

In answer to the question, Benson should progress on D and in the paint with the extra strength and foot work. He may not be developed enough to neutralize the best post players in the league for another year or two, if ever, but he will have a valuable role to play. Extending the range on his shot would help too, and that is also likely.

In answer to the question, Benson should progress on D and in the paint with the extra strength and foot work. He may not be developed enough to neutralize the best post players in the league for another year or two, if ever, but he will have a valuable role to play. Extending the range on his shot would help too, and that is also likely.
There are very few true "post players" in the B1G now. Haas at PU and Happ at Wisky are the best. Morgan at IU is more of a 4, as is Cook at Iowa. Cekovsky at MD is noting special, Wagner at UM a 4, Ward at MSU is good not great, no one else really is notable.

By next year I wouldn't be surprised for Benson to have a somewhat reliable 3-point shot in his toolkit. Even having that threat, like Skelly had last year, makes a big difference.

Esch had that Taphorn cow lick going....
2824-708796Bk.jpg

Now he's got nothin.....

hqdefault.jpg
Eschmeyer is crushing everything else. Who cares what’s on top of his head when what’s in it is even better than what we saw on the court?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT