Detroit vs NIU (boo! hiss!)

CFN
Detroit vs Ohio

Phoenix vs Kansas

Saturday Blitz
Phoenix vs Iowa State

Athlon
Detroit vs EMU
Kansa would scare me a little. I don’t care where we go, but would like us to win.

ESPN
Bonagura: Nashville vs Auburn
Schlabach: Phoenix vs Kansas

CBS (Jerry Palm)
Detroit vs NIU (boo! hiss!)

CFN
Detroit vs Ohio

Phoenix vs Kansas

Saturday Blitz
Phoenix vs Iowa State

Athlon
Detroit vs EMU
Too many Detroits. Seriously not a vacation spot in late December. Gotta beat those Illini!

Last edited:
It's pretty clear that everyone is just guessing at this point.

At the least the Fox Sports guy thinks we'll beat Illinois. He doesn't have them going to a game at all.

I'm in the camp of anywhere but Detroit. I'd rather us play a higher profile team a higher profile team.

Reactions: WestCoastWildcat

At the least the Fox Sports guy thinks we'll beat Illinois. He doesn't have them going to a game at all.

I'm in the camp of anywhere but Detroit. I'd rather us play a higher profile team a higher profile team.
A win against the Illini would be a double bonus- we knock them out of appearing in a bowl plus we boost our record to 7-5 and maybe move up to a bowl in warmer climate. Plus the Hat finally returns to the Cats. Lots of incentives for a win in this rivalry game.

As a former Buckeye fan growing up, I will also be watching the OSU-Michigan game. I’ve been following Harbaugh’s career since his stint with the Chargers and his successful hc debut with USD.. I have to think his tenure at UM is at risk, that his suspension may push him back into the NFL. While I’m not a fan and believe the signal-stealing deserved punishment, I think Harbaugh departure from UM and the BigTen would be a negative. Look at the disaster Brady Hoke was as UM hc and what UM has accomplished under Harbaugh including wins over OSU. Harbaugh’s leaving will be a challenge for UM to find a replacement to fill. The addition of the PAC12 teams will significantly ratchet up the level of completion in the BigTen. UCLA, USC, WA and Oregon are have superior programs to most of the other BIgTen teams and are on par with OSU, PSU and Michigan. The West has been pretty dreadful this year, but these new teams coming in will make the conference stronger in both football and basketball and other sports as well.

Last edited:
Any Bowl win would be really good for the program. I can get to Detroit. If they have a donate a ticket program that is a nice thing to participate in

Reactions: Sheffielder

If we had only gotten 5 wins, we had a good chance of going anyway but IL probably not

These predictions have a lot to do with the expected results of next week’s games.

With Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State (assuming a win over MSU) almost certainly in NY 6 bowls, getting a b10 team in Detroit will need 2 wins among Minnesota, Nebraska and Illinois to fill all the bowl tie-ins.

Some of the slating will be obvious (Iowa in Orlando, Maryland likely to Tampa), but then you have to see how deep the pool is.

Not sure about bringing this up, but.... can we really just be talking about Ws and Ls as part of bowl committee thinking? The main reason the on-field record surprised all is, as we all know, because of what happened. Aside from the usual NU issues (fanbase, etc), do you think the committees will be happy telling our story when we get to town? Are they looking forward to possible press conferences the week of the game like those that we have seen since July? I'd say there's a decent chance some groups put together protests outside the stadium or team hotel. If all things are equal between us and another school, the scandal has to color thinking at least a little bit.

Not sure about bringing this up, but.... can we really just be talking about Ws and Ls as part of bowl committee thinking? The main reason the on-field record surprised all is, as we all know, because of what happened. Aside from the usual NU issues (fanbase, etc), do you think the committees will be happy telling our story when we get to town? Are they looking forward to possible press conferences the week of the game like those that we have seen since July? I'd say there's a decent chance some groups put together protests outside the stadium or team hotel. If all things are equal between us and another school, the scandal has to color thinking at least a little bit.
I really can't imagine the NU story being viewed as anything other than in a more positive light about how the players and Braun rallied together to deliver a strong season.

The negative is attendance related; obviously many fans cancelled season tickets over the administration's handling of the situation and treatment of Fitz. That's probably where it hurts us and we may get passed over by more teams than expected due to lower than usual turnout expected.

On the positive side though a lot of 5-6 win teams in the Big Ten are likely to have unhappy fanbases relative to expectations for this year. Our fanbase is at least happy about where we are relative to pre-season expectation.

Last edited:
I really can't imagine the NU story being viewed as anything other than in a more positive light about how the players and Braun rallied together to deliver a strong season.

The negative is attendance related; obviously many fans cancelled season tickets over the administration's handling of the situation and treatment of Fitz. That's probably where it hurts us and we may get passed over by more teams than expected.

On the positive side though a lot of 5-6 win teams in the Big Ten are likely to have unhappy fanbases relative to expectations for this year. Our fanbase is at least happy about where we are relative to pre-season expectation.

College football outrage is firmly focused on Michigan, so we should be good. And these fat cat bowl committee members always side with the administration anyway.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
College football outrage is firmly focused on Michigan, so we should be good. And these fat cat bowl committee members always side with the administration anyway.
Fair points, and I completely agree our situation has been dramatically overshadowed by the Michigan cheating fiasco that has eclipsed the whole sport in a lot of ways.

Let's agree: most bowl projections aren't necessarily well researched - I'd be surprised to learn how many writers actually remember all the nuances of bowl selection rules (the +1 win factor and where that applies, agreements in place on how many years must pass before a team can be re-invited, etc.)

As the playoff expands significantly and conferences become jumbo in size, I think it will become more and more of a free-for-all after you get past the historic "January 1" games. I'm also assuming out of the gate that Gragg will not do a fraction of the hustling that Phillips used to do with committees and making the pitch for NU.

One thing about the conjecture this year: December 26 games are a real bitch in terms of travel - I'll probably be flying solo if we go to Phoenix and maybe talking a local friend into going. I've definitely taken Jan. 1 (and late December) games for granted.

Not a direct reply...just wanted to thank the moderator for cleaning up. Feel free to delete this as well.

Reactions: CappyNU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT