ADVERTISEMENT

Bryant's status for Nebraska unclear after Braun's press conference

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021
Reactions: zeek55 and drewjin
It's almost unanimous that Bryant gives us a better chance to win than Sully, but Sully's stats this season are not bad at all. He just hasn't been very effective for the most part. Just wonder if Sully has a breakout game in store, perhaps against Neb.

RkPlayerGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
1Ben Bryant59516159.09265.85.763115.9
2Brendan Sullivan5233467.61925.66.131138.3

Reactions: drewjin
It's almost unanimous that Bryant gives us a better chance to win than Sully, but Sully's stats this season are not bad at all. He just hasn't been very effective for the most part. Just wonder if Sully has a breakout game in store, perhaps against Neb.

RkPlayerGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
1Ben Bryant59516159.09265.85.763115.9
2Brendan Sullivan5233467.61925.66.131138.3
Hard to really place too much emphasis on stats here.

With Bryant we have a materially better shot at winning given his command of the offense.

Doesn't mean Sullivan can't lead this team to a win in Lincoln, but the offense has had a bit more consistency at times (that 4Q against Minnesota especially) with Bryant at the helm.

Any stretch like that could decide the game against Nebraska, just have higher odds of putting it together with Bryant.

But for sure, if Sullivan starts and has a big moment that would be huge for this team.

Reactions: drewjin
"Sully's stats this season are not bad at all. He just hasn't been very effective for the most part."

Huh?

Hard to really place too much emphasis on stats here.

With Bryant we have a materially better shot at winning given his command of the offense.

Doesn't mean Sullivan can't lead this team to a win in Lincoln, but the offense has had a bit more consistency at times (that 4Q against Minnesota especially) with Bryant at the helm.

Any stretch like that could decide the game against Nebraska, just have higher odds of putting it together with Bryant.

But for sure, if Sullivan starts and has a big moment that would be huge for this team.
I would like for us to have a recruited QB actually do well for us for a change. The portal has been a hit and miss, mostly miss though. That is why I constantly call for a more wide open offensive system, to get higher caliber QBs to want to come to NU. It would be nice to see Sullivan actually have the opportunity to flourish in an updated offense. No matter what, we need to sweep Nebby, Purdue, and Illinois to make a bowl. The other 3 opponents are clearly better than we are. Hopefully the bye gave the team the time needed to step up their game.

Reactions: zeek55
"Sully's stats this season are not bad at all. He just hasn't been very effective for the most part."

Huh?
I think the issue is that the volume is low.

Numbers that look good for a low # of attempts likely don't hold when volume comes in...

But this game against Nebraska will be the real test of that.

Reactions: DaCat
And yet Kurt Anderson survived the bye week.

NU needs to pull two upsets* to play a game in December, and this is one of the best chances. It’s a shame that NU won’t be putting its best squad on the field.

*I foolishly think NU *should* beat Purdue. I imagine NU will be underdogs in the other 5.

And yet Kurt Anderson survived the bye week.

NU needs to pull two upsets* to play a game in December, and this is one of the best chances. It’s a shame that NU won’t be putting its best squad on the field.

*I foolishly think NU *should* beat Purdue. I imagine NU will be underdogs in the other 5.
Seems like Bryant might be out for a while. Unless Sullivan improves I think the chances of winning any game are Slim

Reactions: phatcat
In Lou’s prediction post, he speculated that Hilinski might be on the field if Sullivan founders early; I have to agree. Here’s hoping Sullivan, with a few more weeks’ practice with the first team, shows real improvement. I remember a lot of games in the Colby era where the Cats’ defensive backfields made bad QB’s look good. Maybe the Huskers will follow that model.

Seems like Bryant might be out for a while. Unless Sullivan improves I think the chances of winning any game are Slim
Sullivan has good tools and I actually thought he might be better at running for his life than Bryant, given the OL. He isn't. Then I have this thread of hope from Kafka embarrassing himself before the MN game

Reactions: eastbaycat99
I would like for us to have a recruited QB actually do well for us for a change. The portal has been a hit and miss, mostly miss though. That is why I constantly call for a more wide open offensive system, to get higher caliber QBs to want to come to NU. It would be nice to see Sullivan actually have the opportunity to flourish in an updated offense. No matter what, we need to sweep Nebby, Purdue, and Illinois to make a bowl. The other 3 opponents are clearly better than we are. Hopefully the bye gave the team the time needed to step up their game.
The other 3 opponents stink too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT