ADVERTISEMENT

Cause and effect: Cats offer OL, get commits from OL

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
It's no coincidence that offensive linemen Cameron Kolwich and Jesse Meyler committed to Northwestern after the Cats offered five other OL.

Story: Cause and effect ($)

Reactions: MRCat95
It's no coincidence that offensive linemen Cameron Kolwich and Jesse Meyler committed to Northwestern after the Cats offered five other OL.

I hope these aren't safety commits then. They hold their place with NU until another offer comes along. That is the danger to pressuring kids to commit.

I hope these aren't safety commits then. They hold their place with NU until another offer comes along. That is the danger to pressuring kids to commit.

Two things: First, I wouldn't call them pressure commits (NU was open with all of their OL prospects -- you gotta read the story.) Second, you have to continue to recruit all commits until Signing Day, regardless. NU lost four commits in the 2015 class, including two within days of NSD. They lost one on NSD eve the year before. This year, NU also signed three players that were committed to other schools before flipping. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there.

Interesting. There is a fine line between "holding out" for top target and avoiding getting stuck with guys that are more developmental than you would like. At some point the staff has to cover their bases and evaluate the interest of the top targets. I assume they have a pretty good feel on this from their interactions both remotely and on visits. If we offer aren't we prepared to accept the verbal? Maybe GCG or someone on the inside could help me understand the process better. What if the back up candidate accepts on the spot? I am sure we wouldn't say just kidding. Sounds like the staff is very upfront with the recruits by letting them know they will be expanding their offer list. Wouldn't a recent offer be inclined to commit quickly if only 1 spot remained? Could this be the cause and effect of more decommits? At any rate, we got what seem to be 3 strong OL in this class and it was what the doctor ordered.

BTW, I know the staff is saying 4 OL recruits, but if we take 20 total this year, I would not be shocked if the number ends up at 5.

Interesting. There is a fine line between "holding out" for top target and avoiding getting stuck with guys that are more developmental than you would like. At some point the staff has to cover their bases and evaluate the interest of the top targets. I assume they have a pretty good feel on this from their interactions both remotely and on visits. If we offer aren't we prepared to accept the verbal? Maybe GCG or someone on the inside could help me understand the process better. What if the back up candidate accepts on the spot? I am sure we wouldn't say just kidding. Sounds like the staff is very upfront with the recruits by letting them know they will be expanding their offer list. Wouldn't a recent offer be inclined to commit quickly if only 1 spot remained? Could this be the cause and effect of more decommits? At any rate, we got what seem to be 3 strong OL in this class and it was what the doctor ordered.

BTW, I know the staff is saying 4 OL recruits, but if we take 20 total this year, I would not be shocked if the number ends up at 5.

Make no mistake: NU would have gladly accepted verbals from any of the five OL that were offered last week; they were each deemed worthy of an offer independent of the others. They may have been B-listers, but it wasn't just a ploy to put pressure on their A-list guys. They were prepared to accept their verbals on the spot, if that would have happened.

I have no problem with the idea of 5 OL. We have been so short over the last several years and very often at least one can be switched to D.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT