ADVERTISEMENT

Class of 2016: Strategy and "Big Board"

gocatsgo2003

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
With a day off and a little too much time on my hands, it's time again for an update with my thoughts on the class of 2016. There aren't too many updates seeing as our latest commitment came in July, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on our strategy to date as well as a look at the "big board" of remaining recruits.

Strategy

1. For finishing out this class, it sure seems like we have decided to see who might be available after the season rather than going hard after players already offered. While this strategy might pay off if we can keep winning games and the coaching carousel starts turning, I've always had a "bird in hand is worth two in the bush" approach to recruiting. There are just so many things that can go wrong in recruiting, so it always seems better to have guys committed rather than banking on guys coming around later.
  2. It will be interesting to see whether we have any more unanticipated four year players (DePietro is the only surprise to me so far), retirements, or injury retirements. Getting Mertz and Robbins back for a sixth year also has some ripple effect on recruiting strategy, though not as much.
  3. The staff's focus seems pretty clearly on the class of 2017 at this point, so I'm guessing there's a short list of players identified as candidates to finish off the 2016 class. I suspect that our last couple of commitments will come from guys whose names we have yet to see mentioned on these boards.

Big Board

These are guys still left on the board ranked in the order I would take them to finish out the class, limited only to guys that I think could realistically end up in Evanston (i.e. not guys like Okeke, McKinley, McCullouch, etc.). Focused just on three guys, as that's probably the maximum number we will have available. This is a bit of a fool's errand given the remarks above, but that's OK.

1. DT Jovan Swann (Greenwood/IN/Center Grove) -- I realize that the staff isn't currently recruiting Swann, because they like Miller and Saunders in this class, because guys like Lancaster, Thompson, and Oxley have shown flashes of being very good, and partially because Robbins is back next year. I still think that this is a mistake. If there's a big kid from Indiana with good grades and good tape interested in NU, I think we should take that guy every time.
  2. RB/ATH Kene Nwangwu (Frisco/TX/Heritage) -- Could probably play RB or DB at the next level. We seem in a great position amongst his current offers, but he also seems to be waiting on a Texas school to offer. Even if he were to commit to NU, he would be a decommitment risk right up until Signing Day as I think he would flip to Texas Tech or another in-state school in a hurry.
  3. DB Martin Mangram (Buford/GA) -- Similar to Nwangwu, but not quite as much size or speed. His recruitment has flown a bit under the radar, so I don't have a great feel for how hard we are recruiting him or he stands in his process.

It will be interesting to see if we come back to a guy like DL Thomas Schaffer (Lake Forest/IL/Academy), if a guy like LB Alfonzo Lambert (Rockford/IL/Auburn) or RB James Robinson (Rockford/IL/Lutheran) has the senior tape and grades to earn an offer, we try flip a guy in whom we've had interest but committed elsewhere like RB Martell Pettaway (Detroit/MI/MLK), OL Sam Heckel (Waukesha/WI/West), OL Jordan Asbury (Warren/MI/De La Salle), or guys like DB Collin Wilder (Katy/TX), RB Jeremy Larkin (Cincinnati/OH/LaSalle), DL Tymir Oliver (Philadelphia/PA/West Catholic), SB/LB Ethan Tucky (Delaware/OH/Hayes), or WR Christian McStravick (Houston/TX/Strake Jesuit) reconsider their commitment if/when there is a coaching change at the school.

All in all, the "if's" above are why I think it's always best to take a commitment from a good player interested in NU ASAP. However, in addition to the fact that our team keeps on winning, all of the "if's" also mean that the end of this class of 2016 could be quite interesting. Hang on tight, should be a fun ride.

With a day off and a little too much time on my hands, it's time again for an update with my thoughts on the class of 2016. There aren't too many updates seeing as our latest commitment came in July, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on our strategy to date as well as a look at the "big board" of remaining recruits.

Strategy

1. For finishing out this class, it sure seems like we have decided to see who might be available after the season rather than going hard after players already offered. While this strategy might pay off if we can keep winning games and the coaching carousel starts turning, I've always had a "bird in hand is worth two in the bush" approach to recruiting. There are just so many things that can go wrong in recruiting, so it always seems better to have guys committed rather than banking on guys coming around later.
  2. It will be interesting to see whether we have any more unanticipated four year players (DePietro is the only surprise to me so far), retirements, or injury retirements. Getting Mertz and Robbins back for a sixth year also has some ripple effect on recruiting strategy, though not as much.
  3. The staff's focus seems pretty clearly on the class of 2017 at this point, so I'm guessing there's a short list of players identified as candidates to finish off the 2016 class. I suspect that our last couple of commitments will come from guys whose names we have yet to see mentioned on these boards.

Big Board

These are guys still left on the board ranked in the order I would take them to finish out the class, limited only to guys that I think could realistically end up in Evanston (i.e. not guys like Okeke, McKinley, McCullouch, etc.). Focused just on three guys, as that's probably the maximum number we will have available. This is a bit of a fool's errand given the remarks above, but that's OK.

1. DT Jovan Swann (Greenwood/IN/Center Grove) -- I realize that the staff isn't currently recruiting Swann, because they like Miller and Saunders in this class, because guys like Lancaster, Thompson, and Oxley have shown flashes of being very good, and partially because Robbins is back next year. I still think that this is a mistake. If there's a big kid from Indiana with good grades and good tape interested in NU, I think we should take that guy every time.
  2. RB/ATH Kene Nwangwu (Frisco/TX/Heritage) -- Could probably play RB or DB at the next level. We seem in a great position amongst his current offers, but he also seems to be waiting on a Texas school to offer. Even if he were to commit to NU, he would be a decommitment risk right up until Signing Day as I think he would flip to Texas Tech or another in-state school in a hurry.
  3. DB Martin Mangram (Buford/GA) -- Similar to Nwangwu, but not quite as much size or speed. His recruitment has flown a bit under the radar, so I don't have a great feel for how hard we are recruiting him or he stands in his process.

It will be interesting to see if we come back to a guy like DL Thomas Schaffer (Lake Forest/IL/Academy), if a guy like LB Alfonzo Lambert (Rockford/IL/Auburn) or RB James Robinson (Rockford/IL/Lutheran) has the senior tape and grades to earn an offer, we try flip a guy in whom we've had interest but committed elsewhere like RB Martell Pettaway (Detroit/MI/MLK), OL Sam Heckel (Waukesha/WI/West), OL Jordan Asbury (Warren/MI/De La Salle), or guys like DB Collin Wilder (Katy/TX), RB Jeremy Larkin (Cincinnati/OH/LaSalle), DL Tymir Oliver (Philadelphia/PA/West Catholic), SB/LB Ethan Tucky (Delaware/OH/Hayes), or WR Christian McStravick (Houston/TX/Strake Jesuit) reconsider their commitment if/when there is a coaching change at the school.

All in all, the "if's" above are why I think it's always best to take a commitment from a good player interested in NU ASAP. However, in addition to the fact that our team keeps on winning, all of the "if's" also mean that the end of this class of 2016 could be quite interesting. Hang on tight, should be a fun ride.
I understand you liking the"bird in the hand" That said, we have a solid foundation of 19 guys and with a descent year this year, the likelyhood of Decommits is much lower than in the past couple years. Especially since don't see guys where NU was second choice. So now, the last 2-3 guys either really have to fill a need or are very special otherwise rather than just taking someone. Afterall, this years success has the biggest impact on next years recruiting. If the guys on the radar (already offered) do not stand out as must haves, maybe it is better so see who becomes available with the coaching changes. For example, IL is a mess with them having to get an athletic director. Cubit might be retained but be on a very short leash as the new AD would likely want to bring in his own guy. There could be plenty of other turnover leading to unexpected opportunities. And the actual breaking ground means Fitz and company have even more to sell. Just not a time to be reaching to fill a spot.

Strategy

Big Board

I would add DBs Mykal Tolliver and Nick McCloud as recruits with an offer that are still on our radar and may visit after the regular season. In my eyes, Larkin is the best of the bunch at RB and would be an instant take if he reconsiders (doubtful). Our WR/OL depth chart and experience next year scares me. I wouldn't mind adding another recruit at each of those position groups.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I would add DBs Mykal Tolliver and Nick McCloud as recruits with an offer that are still on our radar and may visit after the regular season. In my eyes, Larkin is the best of the bunch at RB and would be an instant take if he reconsiders (doubtful). Our WR/OL depth chart and experience next year scares me. I wouldn't mind adding another recruit at each of those position groups.

I have my doubts as to whether we continue to recruit Tolliver and McCloud.

I understand you liking the"bird in the hand" That said, we have a solid foundation of 19 guys and with a descent year this year, the likelyhood of Decommits is much lower than in the past couple years. Especially since don't see guys where NU was second choice. So now, the last 2-3 guys either really have to fill a need or are very special otherwise rather than just taking someone. Afterall, this years success has the biggest impact on next years recruiting. If the guys on the radar (already offered) do not stand out as must haves, maybe it is better so see who becomes available with the coaching changes. For example, IL is a mess with them having to get an athletic director. Cubit might be retained but be on a very short leash as the new AD would likely want to bring in his own guy. There could be plenty of other turnover leading to unexpected opportunities. And the actual breaking ground means Fitz and company have even more to sell. Just not a time to be reaching to fill a spot.

I think that's all part of the plan -- less likely to lose guys during a great season, wait to see if any great prospects pop back up on the radar.

Specific to Illinois, I don't think we really want (or could get admitted) most of their commits.

I think that's all part of the plan -- less likely to lose guys during a great season, wait to see if any great prospects pop back up on the radar.

Specific to Illinois, I don't think we really want (or could get admitted) most of their commits.
I had not really looked and I was using it as an example. Looks like a pretty lackluster class.

Strategy

Big Board

GCG- is it common we stay in touch with players that have verbally to other schools to keep them "warm"? I know Fries the PSU recruit said NU still was in contact and we all know Franklin isn't going anywhere yet.

GCG- is it common we stay in touch with players that have verbally to other schools to keep them "warm"? I know Fries the PSU recruit said NU still was in contact and we all know Franklin isn't going anywhere yet.

With the caveat that there seem to have been PLENTY of fundamental changes since I was last in the offices... not really. At the time a prospect committed elsewhere, Fitz would usually tell him to get back in contact if things changed but the staff wouldn't actively stay in contact.

But, like I said, plenty of things seem to have changed, so that could have changed as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT