ADVERTISEMENT

Collins reference

ColumbusCatFan1

Jun 18, 2005
Back in March 2016, after the ‘Cats were eliminated from the BTT at the hands of Michigan in overtime, Chris Collins alluded to several (blown) calls going against NU. One call, in particular, should have given the ‘Cats an opportunity to win the game in the closing seconds. Chris attributed this
as a clear sign Big Ten officials didn’t respect Northwestern’s program and he hoped this would change over time. It should be noted that NU team won 20 games; it was no pushover.

Fast forward to January 31st, 2024 in West Lafayette and one of Collins comments following a heartbreaking defeat to Boilers referenced the same issue, only this time Northwestern was proving itself as a legitimate league contender.

Tonight we saw exactly what Chris is talking about.

Missing the blatant fouls (yes plural) on Buie’s final shot is unfathomable. This isn’t a freshman in desperation mode, he’s a Cousey award finalist for cripesake.

Then we have a seemingly rouge official continuously calling back his colleagues to review Langborg’s offensive foul (one created while clearly making a basketball move) ad nauseam until the crew upgrades it to a flagrant two resulting in an ejection. Better yet, Rutgers back up center goes full Draymond Green and takes out Justin Mullins knees. Somehow, the player is allowed to stay in the game.

Big Ten officials do not respect Chris Collins or Northwestern. The end.

Last edited:
Back in March 2016 after the ‘Cats were eliminated from the BTT after falling to Michigan in overtime, Chris Collins basically alluded to several (blown) calls going against NU, one that should given the ‘Cats an opportunity to win at the end of the game. He more or less said Big Ten officials don’t respect Northwestern’s program and hoped that would change. Note that team won 20 games. Fast forward to a few weeks ago in West Lafayette and Collins said something similar pointing out Northwestern was becoming a legitimate league contender.

Tonight we saw exactly what Chris is talking about. Missing the blatant fouls (yes plural) on Buie’s final shot is unfathomable. This isn’t a freshman in desperation mode, it’s a Cousey award finalist for cripesake.

Then we have seemingly rouge official that continuously calls back his colleagues to keep reviewing Langborg’s offensive foul (while making a basketball move) until they upgraded it to flagrant two and resulting ejection. Better yet, Rutgers back up center goes full Draymond Green and takes out Justin Mullins knee and the player allowed to stay in the game.

Big Ten officials do not respect Collins or Northwestern. The end.
This is not the first time Big 10 refs have taken a win away from the Cats. It is frustrating and maddening

If only the minority has the tools to publicly humiliate the powers that be

Back in March 2016 after the ‘Cats were eliminated from the BTT after falling to Michigan in overtime, Chris Collins basically alluded to several (blown) calls going against NU, one that should given the ‘Cats an opportunity to win at the end of the game. He more or less said Big Ten officials don’t respect Northwestern’s program and hoped that would change in time (it should be noted that team won 20 games). Fast forward to this past January in West Lafayette and Collins said something similar pointing out Northwestern was becoming a legitimate league contender, yet these same things were continuing to happen.

Tonight we saw exactly what Chris is talking about. Missing the blatant fouls (yes plural) on Buie’s final shot is unfathomable. This isn’t a freshman in desperation mode, it’s a Cousey award finalist for cripesake.

Then we have a seemingly rouge official continuously calling back his colleagues to review Langborg’s offensive foul (one created while clearly making a basketball move) ad nauseam until the crew upgrades it to a flagrant two resulting in an ejection. Better yet, Rutgers back up center goes full Draymond Green and takes out Justin Mullins knees. Somehow, the player is allowed to stay in the game.

If only we had an AD that we could count on to voice and escalate these concerns to the conference. Oh wait. It’s Ggarg and Shill, no chance of that. Chris is unfortunately on his own so our team may continue to get screwed.

Back in March 2016 after the ‘Cats were eliminated from the BTT after falling to Michigan in overtime, Chris Collins basically alluded to several (blown) calls going against NU, one that should given the ‘Cats an opportunity to win at the end of the game. He more or less said Big Ten officials don’t respect Northwestern’s program and hoped that would change in time (it should be noted that team won 20 games). Fast forward to this past January in West Lafayette and Collins said something similar pointing out Northwestern was becoming a legitimate league contender, yet these same things were continuing to happen.

It was Earl Walton. I was watching from section 206 the other two officials kept walking away from the screen and he called them back many many times, it was obviously him who wanted the flagrant 2, for whatever reason. The other Rutgers fans were booing for the delay like wtf is going on with this review, I said “they are reviewing for a flagrant 1 on the elbow, I thought it was incidental but couldn’t tell”. They were all booing bc they wanted play to restart. Little did I or they know that Earl would eject Langborg from the game…

Funnily enough all their Rutgers Twitter feeds thought their guy was gonna get ejected for the stomp on Mullins while that was reviewed. They expected it based on the evidence. I tried to be friendly and said “well I guess it’s 1 for 1”. One guy laughed and said “but your guy scores 12 a game and that dude scores 0”… as in seems like a good trade. nonetheless he only got a flagrant 1

I don’t know what mechanisms there are to lodge a complaint with the conference but… jeez I hope we exercise them all. If Langborg doesn’t get ejected we prob win that by about 6-10.

Back in March 2016, after the ‘Cats were eliminated from the BTT at the hands of Michigan in overtime, Chris Collins alluded to several (blown) calls going against NU. One call, in particular, should have given the ‘Cats an opportunity to win the game in the closing seconds. Chris attributed this
as a clear sign Big Ten officials didn’t respect Northwestern’s program and he hoped this would change over time. It should be noted that NU team won 20 games; it was no pushover.

Fast forward to January
31st, 2024 in West Lafayette and one of Collins comments following a heartbreaking defeat to Boilers referenced the same issue, only this time Northwestern was proving itself as a legitimate league contender.

Tonight we saw exactly what Chris is talking about. Missing the blatant fouls (yes plural) on Buie’s final shot is unfathomable. This isn’t a freshman in desperation mode, he’s a Cousey award finalist for cripesake.

Nonsense.

It was Earl Walton. I was watching from section 206 the other two officials kept walking away from the screen and he called them back many many times, it was obviously him who wanted the flagrant 2, for whatever reason. The other Rutgers fans were booing for the delay like wtf is going on with this review, I said “they are reviewing for a flagrant 1 on the elbow, I thought it was incidental but couldn’t tell”. They were all booing bc they wanted play to restart. Little did I or they know that Earl would eject Langborg from the game…

Funnily enough all their Rutgers Twitter feeds thought their guy was gonna get ejected for the stomp on Mullins while that was reviewed. They expected it based on the evidence. I tried to be friendly and said “well I guess it’s 1 for 1”. One guy laughed and said “but your guy scores 12 a game and that dude scores 0”… as in seems like a good trade. nonetheless he only got a flagrant 1

I don’t know what mechanisms there are to lodge a complaint with the conference but… jeez I hope we exercise them all. If Langborg doesn’t get ejected we prob win that by about 6-10.
More on Earl Walton.

All officials make mistakes and should be cut some slack, but I do remember the Big East game being referenced in this article. It was a real whopper.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: drewjin
More on Earl Walton.

All officials make mistakes and should be cut some slack, but I do remember the Big East game being referenced in this article. It was a real whopper.

More fodder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT