ADVERTISEMENT

Colter waived by Vikings

I'm surprised. Hope he catches on with someone.

Maybe Denver will grab him and we can see a replay of the two quarterback system. ;)

KC was a great college level football player and athlete. At the pro level things tend to get simpler. You have to be big and be fast and have a great work ethic and be smart. KC is smart and has the work ethic but I feel that he falls short of NFL standards for both size and speed. The fact that he got picked up by the Vikings for a year is a tribute to his overall athleticism and many other positive factors but he just does not have the key size and speed to make it in the league.

KC was a great college level football player and athlete. At the pro level things tend to get simpler. You have to be big and be fast and have a great work ethic and be smart. KC is smart and has the work ethic but I feel that he falls short of NFL standards for both size and speed. The fact that he got picked up by the Vikings for a year is a tribute to his overall athleticism and many other positive factors but he just does not have the key size and speed to make it in the league.
It is ironic in the sense that last year he must have still been recovering from injury and made the squad, yet this year when presumably healthy they went with new blood. Perhaps he gets a shot somewhere else.

The same things were said about Doug Baldwin.

The same things were said about Doug Baldwin.
There are clearly a handful of examples (Doug Flutie, etc.) of players that did not have the size, speed, arm, etc. for the NFL but made it anyway. However, the list of great college players that never made it in the NFL is much longer.

There are about 10,000 scholarship FBS football players. There are about 1800 NFL football players.

So about 1500 or so FBS scholarship college football players become eligible for the NFL draft each year. About 220 are drafted. Maybe 150 make teams? So about 1 in 10 scholarship FBS football players are going to make an NFL squad. You have to have it all.

^ Flutie always had what it took to play in the NFL despite his size (he had the mobility to make up for his lack of height), but at the time, mobile QBs were a rarity and teams/coaches were still looking for the prototypical pocket passer.

Flutie was the precursor to the Brees and Wilson type QBs (still some stigma about shorter QBs as both Brees and Wilson both should have been top 5 picks), but at least they are getting drafted in the top 3 rnds now.

Baldwin has never been noted to have great speed. He was not recruited out of high school with the exception of I think Fla Atlantic but a friend of a Stanford coach recommended him to the staff. That is why he went there. Seattle took a chance on him for one reason. He could change directions without changing speed. Perhaps Colter is unable to do this. There is no material difference between Colter's and Baldwin's speed. Frankly I think Colter is quicker over a total game experience. He did not seem to tire. From what I glean from the practice tidbits, Baldwin is mainly a 4.5 something guy. I am a huge Seahawk fan as are several of my friends who follow them very closely. Posting a spot 40 is just that. A spot 40. How they play over a game is the key.

Tom Cable is the Hawks OL coach and considered a very good coach in this space. He recently discussed what he looks for in a OL. One was not too tall. 6'5'' at the most unless they are an exceptional player. The reason he gave is taller players' "butts ride up over a game". I thought this was a very interesting concept. How a player executes when he tires. With this concept stated, I think Colter and Baldwin are equivalent in speed. There must be other athletic metrics involved here since Baldwin was not cut. Baldwin is just an amazing player. Great work ethic and incredibly competitive. What has helped him is he is in a run-first offense. If he was in a pass emphasis offense, I am not sure he would have had the same success. I hope Colter gets another shot. When he signed as a FA, I immediately thought of another Doug Baldwin.

ADVERTISEMENT