ADVERTISEMENT

Damn it!

Gladeskat

Gold Member
Feb 17, 2004
Don't delete threads until I have a chance to read all of the posts! The dumb Turk thread was just heating up when it went *POOF*!

When the Turk hits the fan, I want to see all of the fallout!

This post was edited on 2/24 9:54 AM by Gladeskat

Seriously? You want to read more of the thread advocating NU a) dropping football, b) moving to the MAC, or c) joining the Ivy league along with long ago Big 10 member University of Chicago?

LOL.

Im really amazed at how intense a thread can become when, after all, it was originally based on satire and humor.

I mean, our football program is a solid BIG program with solid players and, at its worse, it is still competitive.

Im amazed at how deep that thread went with posters who actually were defending against insanity.

It was satire at its finest.
I never would have renewed my tickets if i though we didnt belong. Posters like phatcat just played along. The short lived thread combined for 1027 views, quickly becoming the hottest thread.

WTF. Why did that thread get burned? Probably because one idiot says he hates Turk and so do all the players... Really, that thin skinned around here?

Lou - there was some good discussion building about the pros and cons of Ivy League v B1G. Can't you simply delete posts without deleting the whole damn thread? Really?

I guess you don't realize, Turk,

That a lot of these people take everything you say seriously. Some of Us know better

Yeah, otherwise I'd have to get rid of my 9000 pieces of Cats paraphernalia

I like us just where we are, and I am d*mn proud of this university. I have a $55 pair of socks as evidence

FYI, when I delete a post, it automatically deletes all replies. But I took down the whole thread this time.

Let's be honest -- the entire thing was an exercise in stupidity. The idea of "good discussion building about the pros and cons of Ivy League vs. B1G" cracks me up. You might as well argue whether NU should drop football in favor of varsity break dance fighting. Give me a break.

Turk started it as a joke. Everyone had some fun. Now it's time to move on. No one burned any books. If you really want to, you can start another one.

It was time for it to be removed. I'll give you points for that.
The darn thing climbed up to about 1,000 views. There are some really outstanding post on this page that get very little traffic, then a intentional bonehead post like the one I started, spikes to 1,000 views and a few dozen replies in a matter of minutes. Sometimes I just gotta check if the board has a heartbeat or if anyone is around. Sorta like screaming in a large hallway to hear an echo, "Anyone here?"

Oh c'mon, I have to read the board about how much our program sucks, so I can't have a little fun every so often playing off on those posters with a bit of humor? Our program is fine, and dare I say it's right where it is intended to be. There is an element of truth to injuries and the union movement playing into our losses. Although injuries are inherent in the game, the extent of injuries within our program over the last two years has been monumental.

Other than the Iowa game [and for the first half of the Cali game] our team played competitively. There really wasn't that much of a difference between our 5-7 record and some years when we won 8 games, other than a few plays.

Moving forward, it's tough to say what we need to do. I mean, the biggest problem, imo, is that we haven't protected the QB in several years under McCall. This could be a result of being predictable, but mostly as a result of minimal protection. Putting in max protection, from time to time, isn't a bad idea if you want to lengthen routes. But, imo, minimal protection and expecting our wide receivers to get off the LOS timely and run deeper routes, has been asking too much. Shorten the routes and do what we do best. I think McCall got suckered into TS's arm strength and gambled the last two years with longer routes. But we just don't have the physical OL to maintain blocks nor was TS elusive enough.

Not saying I'm right, but it all is going to start with protecting the QB. We haven't gone one season without using two QB's since Kafka about 7 years ago. Persa, Colter, TS all got eaten alive with multiple concussions and injuries.

Originally posted by Lou V:

FYI, when I delete a post, it automatically deletes all replies. But I took down the whole thread this time.

Let's be honest -- the entire thing was an exercise in stupidity. The idea of "good discussion building about the pros and cons of Ivy League vs. B1G" cracks me up. You might as well argue whether NU should drop football in favor of varsity break dance fighting. Give me a break.

Turk started it as a joke. Everyone had some fun. Now it's time to move on. No one burned any books. If you really want to, you can start another one.
Next time, copy the entire thread, paste it into Word, and send it to me via email. That way I won't miss all of the mudslinging and idiocy for which I faithfully come to this board every day.

Originally posted by Alaskawildkat:
Yeah, I never did find out if xyz was Northwestern Man incarnated.
He's definitely not NorthwesternMan.

Well, with your constant flip-flop act, it's hard to know when you're having "fun" and when not. Even if you're having fun, making a dumb statement and watching people react to it is not satire.

Other than that, I don't really disagree with anything else in your post.

the act itself is not me alone. There are other actors involved each time that I hand the baton off too. Each has its own role, One who comes on and immediately blast me, another who says I have a good point, and another who plays the middle.
Then the rash of posters who are caught in the net.

Without outing who the players are who dance together, I will say, it's a lot easier to notice it if you don't focus entirely on me. That said, the title of the thread was triggering, but should have put up red flags almost immediately to those who have seen this before.

Is it right? Not sure. Is it juvenile? Well, yeah. But, hey, it's me.
This post was edited on 2/24 12:56 PM by Turk

Alaska - I'm NU grad and non-revenue scholarship athlete - always use the same user ID everywhere

I have met the long lost Dave - and been verbally jousted with Glades since my earliest posting days - and stood up to a couple of board bullies that have expressed desires of meeting for a cup of coffee.

Not NUMan or any of the other eerie characters that randomly appear. I painted the rock on occasion, was a member of one of the three fraternities west of Sheridan (there were still three in my day) and my biggest claim to fame was bringing a Fight Nite to NU my senior year (I retired 1-0-1).

Better if you had...

moved the thread in its entirety to the Rant Board, which was created to house these exact types of "firebrand" message threads.

"intentional bonehead post"

Hey Howland Tiger - how are we supposed to determine whether your bonehead posts are intentional or not?
roll.r191677.gif

Re: "intentional bonehead post"

ha ha. that was a good one.

For the audience, there is one trigger word that is always used. Sorta how Manning says, "Omaha"

Originally posted by phatcat:
Yeah, otherwise I'd have to get rid of my 9000 pieces of Cats paraphernalia

I like us just where we are, and I am d*mn proud of this university. I have a $55 pair of socks as evidence

Good God, Phat -- there IS such a thing?

NU just ran a promotion that if you donated at least $55, they would send you a pair of purple NU socks with paws on them. I have a pair, too -- or, rather, my daughter does.

Another Wildcat Fan in the making

Originally posted by Lou V:

NU just ran a promotion that if you donated at least $55, they would send you a pair of purple NU socks with paws on them. I have a pair, too -- or, rather, my daughter does.
Speaking of Purple (and since this thread has already become Rant Board centric) did anyone catch Hillary Clinton's comment yesterday about intending to meld together the Red and Blue States to make them Purple?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT