ADVERTISEMENT

Do we want Olah shooting 3s next season?

VirginiaWildcat

Aug 31, 2001
I'll admit, the only time I liked Olah shooting beyond the arc was when the shot went in, and that wasn't often this season...especially during the conf slate. Not only did his poor shooting hurt, but he also wasn't around the basket to rebound. What do you guys think will be the trend next year? More of the same, or fewer 3-point attempts?

I personally can't stand it, but you do have to take the whole story into account. How many times did the threat of Olah shooting a three open up the paint? For example, Olah sets a pick for McIntosh and pops out to the arc. Olah's defender has to hedge on McIntosh and Olah which could put him in a bad position when McIntosh goes to basket. I can't answer my own question, but the classic example is what happened to the Knicks when Patrick Ewing got injured. They had lots of athletic guards that liked to drive and get to the basket. Problem is, Patrick Ewing and the guy guarding Ewing, which was Rik Smits in a particular playoff series, were already there.

I really hope Olah stops taking 3s next year. He's not a good enough outside shooter to justify that shot, given that our biggest rebounder (him) is out of position to clean up the missed shots. Unless the shot clock is under 5s, I don't want to see them at all.

Thought it was really stupid and unproductive. My reaction, on the rare occasion when he hit one was, "damn, now he'll keep shooting them."

That's Olah's 3-pt percentage in conference play. That's all anyone needs to know.

To me, this is a problem that goes beyond Olah. In his two years, CC is very loose with his shooters. The green light is always on. Without consistent scoring, these teams were getting their points from wherever they could and trying to keep defenses spread. In a way, I can understand it, but it needs to improve so there is zero reliance on outside shooters like Olah and Lumpkin.

If the talent improves, what I'm hoping we'll see is that NU will be more disciplined as percentages improve.

At least, that's how I justify the often, poor shot selection we've seen.

Re: .087

CC went off on Olah at least twice for shooting a 3 early in the shot clock. He probably has the green light from 3, only when there is less than 10 on the shot clock.

Anyone who can hit a 3 reliably should take them. I think bigs honestly have a bit more room for error just because the spacing it can provide is very valuable. If Olah could hit >30%, I would be very happy with it. I think he is a better 3pt shooter than this season showed, but I do think there is an opportunity cost to him not being in the paint getting boards or post looks.

Although, it is a matchup thing. A game against Purdue is a different indication than one against Michigan

There's no reason he should be shooting a three early in the clock - plus 15 seconds or so. But he was a not-too-bad option his soph season, and it's not like he throws bricks up there.

A long three lends itself to long offensive rebounds, if missed.

In short, yes. I'm okay with him taking 1-2 per game.

Also, important to consider that we'll expect JVZ on the court, who is considerably more post bound than anybody else on the roster (perhaps Lumpkin excluded, though Lumpkin's minutes appear headed for decline). To get proper spacing (proper modern spacing anyway), Olah will naturally drift away from the bucket at times. Also, I would expect more pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop with Olah and Mac next year.

You're exactly right 320. Olah has a nice shot but he shouldn't take 3's in the first 2/3 rds of clock. All of his threes were uncontested...my money is on the senior Olah converting above 33% next year. He'll also convert those 12 footers at a higher rate. He has a very nice touch.

I don't think you can answer this question right now. It all depends on how hard he works on his shot between now and November.

ADVERTISEMENT