ADVERTISEMENT

Don't sleep on Rutgers

CappyNU

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2004
Chicago
So, through Rutgers' first 20 games, they were one of the worst offensive teams in the country, had been rotating 10 different players in games with 6 different starting lineups, and were 10-10 (2-7). Then, Jeremiah Williams became eligible. Since then, they've won 3 in a row and are an entirely different, much more dangerous, team.

Williams was a two-time transfer (Temple, Iowa State) who had to sit out like all of the other ones until the NCAA was overruled back in December, however he was also involved in the Iowa gambling scandal and thus had a 15-game suspension given to him from the NCAA. He only became eligible 3 games ago after suing the NCAA and winning.

As a result, Williams has become an immediate starter, their rotation has shrunk to 9 players, and they have been playing significantly better, even while taking their leading scorer Aundre Hyatt out of the starting lineup.

So, a current scouting report:

Derek Simpson is the starting PG, a sophomore who was a SG last year, and scored 12 points on 13 shots against us in the regular season finale in 2023. This year he has transformed his role into more of a passer, who takes fewer shots but gets to the line more frequently, where he shoots 85%. He is not a great shooter otherwise, but he is an excellent defender, averaging 1.4 steals/game in conference, but 2.2 steals/game in the last 4.

Simpson is backed up by Noah Fernandes, a 5'11" grad transfer from UMass who had started the first 14 games but has seen his minutes reduced during conference play. Up until their last game against Wisconsin, he had done very little in conference play, but then he scored 17 points on 6-6 shooting including 5 threes. Fernandes had lost his starting job to 7th-year player Austin Williams, however Williams has seen his minutes drop to 0 since Williams returned.

The starting SG is freshman Jamichael Davis, who is largely a black hole on offense, but must clearly be an impact defender to earn the minutes he has been playing. He is a terrible shooter and has a 1:1 assist/turnover ratio, but does average 0.9 steals/game. In the last 3 games though, his A/T ratio is 2.75:1, and is averaging 3.7 rebounds and 1.3 steals/game in 25mpg.

Back to Jeremiah Williams. He played two seasons at Temple as their PG, then transferred to Iowa State but tore his achilles before the season began, and missed the entire year. He missed nearly 2 years between the injury and gambling scandal, but has established himself as Rutgers' best offensive threat already as a 3rd guard. He has become a volume shooter but still retains his passing skills, picking up 7 assists against Wisconsin over the weekend. Hopefully we have enough tape on him from the last 3 games to plan how to defend him.

As mentioned before, Aundre Hyatt has been removed from the starting lineup with Williams becoming eligible. Last year Hyatt had a good game in their win over us, but we shut him down in the 2nd matchup when we beat them. He shoots the most 3s of anyone on the team, but again, until the game against Wisconsin when he made 3-5, he had largely been ineffective, shooting 25% in conference play. With Williams eligible, he is shooting less, but remains a solid defender, averaging 0.8 steals/game.

Mawot Mag is the 4th starter, in his 4th year at Rutgers. Last year he had a solid 1st game against us but only played 15 minutes due to foul trouble, then suffered a season-ending injury in February that kept him out until mid-December this year. Once he returned, he immediately moved into the starting lineup, where he has been one of their best defenders. In the 3 games prior to Williams becoming eligible, Mag was in a huge slump, going 1-15 shooting with a total of 2 points scored. However in the last 3 games, Mag has averaged 14 points/game, up from 9.7 pre-Williams in conference.

Cliff Omoruyi is the final starter and starting C. He is a beast of a player, the best shot blocker in the league, and one of the best rebounders as well. Stop me if you've read this already, but Williams has brought out the best in him this season as well. Against Wisconsin, he nearly had a triple-double with 13 points, 13 board and 8 blocks. His one weakness is foul shooting, where he's only a 54% shooter in conference play. When he's not in foul trouble, he generally plays 30mpg, so hopefully Big Matt can get him on the bench. His backup had been Antwone Woolfolk for much of the season, but he's pretty terrible, and coinciding with Williams returning is a larger behemoth in Emmanuel Ogbole, who returned from a torn ACL and is playing 8mpg.

Which brings us to the final player of the current rotation, Gavin Griffiths. A goofy-looking goggles-wearing freshman who has largely struggled this season. He saw a lot of playing time early in the season, but less so during conference play. There's not much to say about him, other than that he takes and misses a lot of shots when he's in the game.

In their 3-game winning streak, their starters have held their opposition to a disgustingly-low 0.62 points/possession while playing 24% of the minutes, winning 45-31. Their second most used lineup, swapping Hyatt for the freshman Davis, is their best lineup, at +10 in 8% of minutes, scoring 1.44 PPP against 0.77 PPP. Their next two most used lineups have Williams on the bench, and their defense suffers, giving up 21 points in 20 possessions for a PPP of 1.05.

Since the start of 2024, Rutgers has the best defense in the country, while we have had the 10th best offense in the country. Their defense has only gotten better, and their offense has improved even more significantly. If we're going to win this one without Berry, it's going to need to be even more of a rock fight than the PSU game was. Having been to a game at the former RAC earlier this season, their crowd gets loud, their students are vulgar, and given the past three games, I'm guessing that they will be pretty rabid, especially if they get off to another hot start like they did against the Badgers.

Don't sleep on the Scarlet Knights.

So, through Rutgers' first 20 games, they were one of the worst offensive teams in the country, had been rotating 10 different players in games with 6 different starting lineups, and were 10-10 (2-7). Then, Jeremiah Williams became eligible. Since then, they've won 3 in a row and are an entirely different, much more dangerous, team.

Williams was a two-time transfer (Temple, Iowa State) who had to sit out like all of the other ones until the NCAA was overruled back in December, however he was also involved in the Iowa gambling scandal and thus had a 15-game suspension given to him from the NCAA. He only became eligible 3 games ago after suing the NCAA and winning.

As a result, Williams has become an immediate starter, their rotation has shrunk to 9 players, and they have been playing significantly better, even while taking their leading scorer Aundre Hyatt out of the starting lineup.

Derek Simpson is the starting PG, a sophomore who was a SG last year, and scored 12 points on 13 shots against us in the regular season finale in 2023. This year he has transformed his role into more of a passer, who takes fewer shots but gets to the line more frequently, where he shoots 85%. He is not a great shooter otherwise, but he is an excellent defender, averaging 1.4 steals/game in conference, but 2.2 steals/game in the last 4.

Simpson is backed up by Noah Fernandes, a 5'11" grad transfer from UMass who had started the first 14 games but has seen his minutes reduced during conference play. Up until their last game against Wisconsin, he had done very little in conference play, but then he scored 17 points on 6-6 shooting including 5 threes. Fernandes had lost his starting job to 7th-year player Austin Williams, however Williams has seen his minutes drop to 0 since Williams returned.

The starting SG is freshman Jamichael Davis, who is largely a black hole on offense, but must clearly be an impact defender to earn the minutes he has been playing. He is a terrible shooter and has a 1:1 assist/turnover ratio, but does average 0.9 steals/game. In the last 3 games though, his A/T ratio is 2.75:1, and is averaging 3.7 rebounds and 1.3 steals/game in 25mpg.

Back to Jeremiah Williams. He played two seasons at Temple as their PG, then transferred to Iowa State but tore his achilles before the season began, and missed the entire year. He missed nearly 2 years between the injury and gambling scandal, but has established himself as Rutgers' best offensive threat already as a 3rd guard. He has become a volume shooter but still retains his passing skills, picking up 7 assists against Wisconsin over the weekend. Hopefully we have enough tape on him from the last 3 games to plan how to defend him.

As mentioned before, Aundre Hyatt has been removed from the starting lineup with Williams becoming eligible. Last year Hyatt had a good game in their win over us, but we shut him down in the 2nd matchup when we beat them. He shoots the most 3s of anyone on the team, but again, until the game against Wisconsin when he made 3-5, he had largely been ineffective, shooting 25% in conference play. With Williams eligible, he is shooting less, but remains a solid defender, averaging 0.8 steals/game.

Mawot Mag is the 4th starter, in his 4th year at Rutgers. Last year he had a solid 1st game against us but only played 15 minutes due to foul trouble, then suffered a season-ending injury in February that kept him out until mid-December this year. Once he returned, he immediately moved into the starting lineup, where he has been one of their best defenders. In the 3 games prior to Williams becoming eligible, Mag was in a huge slump, going 1-15 shooting with a total of 2 points scored. However in the last 3 games, Mag has averaged 14 points/game, up from 9.7 pre-Williams in conference.

Cliff Omoruyi is the final starter and starting C. He is a beast of a player, the best shot blocker in the league, and one of the best rebounders as well. Stop me if you've read this already, but Williams has brought out the best in him this season as well. Against Wisconsin, he nearly had a triple-double with 13 points, 13 board and 8 blocks. His one weakness is foul shooting, where he's only a 54% shooter in conference play. When he's not in foul trouble, he generally plays 30mpg, so hopefully Big Matt can get him on the bench. His backup had been Antwone Woolfolk for much of the season, but he's pretty terrible, and coinciding with Williams returning is a larger behemoth in Emmanuel Ogbole, who returned from a torn ACL and is playing 8mpg.

Which brings us to the final player of the current rotation, Gavin Griffiths. A goofy-looking goggles-wearing freshman who has largely struggled this season. He saw a lot of playing time early in the season, but less so during conference play. There's not much to say about him, other than that he takes and misses a lot of shots when he's in the game.

In their 3-game winning streak, their starters have held their opposition to a disgustingly-low 0.62 points/possession while playing 24% of the minutes, winning 45-31. Their second most used lineup, swapping Hyatt for the freshman Davis, is their best lineup, at +10 in 8% of minutes, scoring 1.44 PPP against 0.77 PPP. Their next two most used lineups have Williams on the bench, and their defense suffers, giving up 21 points in 20 possessions for a PPP of 1.05.

Since the start of 2024, Rutgers has the best defense in the country, while we have had the 10th best offense in the country. Their defense has only gotten better, and their offense has improved even more significantly. If we're going to win this one without Berry, it's going to need to be even more of a rock fight than the PSU game was. Having been to a game at the former RAC earlier this season, their crowd gets loud, their students are vulgar, and given the past three games, I'm guessing that they will be pretty rabid, especially if they get off to another hot start like they did against the Badgers.

Again, we cannot sleep against anyone in the BIG. Especially on the road

Reactions: Scangg and Sec.112
Gabagool?! Bring that ova herrreeee
The Sopranos Quote GIF

The ESPN match predictor, a couple of weeks ago, had us at a 50% chance of winning. Today it's 45%.

I've watched them play against Purdue, Nebraska, Indiana and Illinois. None of those were the recent 3 winning streak with the recently activated player.

To me they looked like the same Rutgers we have been used to over the last few years. But with less talent on offense. Tough and gritty on defense, feeding well off of the RAC crowd.

The thing is I believe we match up well with them. I see us struggling a bit on offense, but still able to get to 70. I also see us keeping them under 60.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
The ESPN match predictor, a couple of weeks ago, had us at a 50% chance of winning. Today it's 45%.

I've watched them play against Purdue, Nebraska, Indiana and Illinois. None of those were the recent 3 winning streak with the recently activated player.

To me they looked like the same Rutgers we have been used to over the last few years. But with less talent on offense. Tough and gritty on defense, feeding well off of the RAC crowd.

The thing is I believe we match up well with them. I see us struggling a bit on offense, but still able to get to 70. I also see us keeping them under 60.
So we are going to play on the road, without a key starter, against a favored team that has won 3 in a row and has an extra day of rest, and we are going to win by more than 10?

So we are going to play on the road, without a key starter, against a favored team that has won 3 in a row and has an extra day of rest, and we are going to win by more than 10?
I made no predictions. I stated what I believe is reasonably possible, what could happen and I would not be very surprised. If you want my prediction, we have a 45% chance of winning.

I made no predictions. I stated what I believe is reasonably possible, what could happen and I would not be very surprised. If you want my prediction, we have a 45% chance of winning.
A reasonable synonym for “I see” is ”I predict”, but ok to stick with “your” true prediction based on the Vegas line.

Schedule makers really did us no favors this year...after this game we get yet another 2-day turnaround between away games to face a team that's had a week off. Even if Berry was healthy we'd be looking at a schedule loss here.

Looking forward to seeing if the offensive struggles vs Penn State are the new normal without Berry, or just a result of the PSU defense. 16 3-pt attempts (6 in the 1st half) vs. 23, 25 and 27 in the previous 3 games.

I had the feeling the PSU defense threw them off. Hope so.

From

From your lips....

Looking forward to seeing if the offensive struggles vs Penn State are the new normal without Berry, or just a result of the PSU defense. 16 3-pt attempts (6 in the 1st half) vs. 23, 25 and 27 in the previous 3 games.

I had the feeling the PSU defense threw them off. Hope so.
More likely what they were leaving open. Also guys we have left and their roles. Martinelli currently does much more of his game inside while Berry was mostly outside. But 7-8 is a bunch

With Berry, I think we roll to a win. Without, it’s the Rock fight that Hungry Jack relishes. NU has better players still, the question is do we have enough. Foul trouble is my biggest worry. Both BB’s will shoot better against the Celtics ( I mean Rutgers) tomorrow. Hopefully it is enough.

Reactions: Hungry Jack

This might be the most accurate pregame write up I've ever seen on an opposing board. Kudos.

I would add that Simpson was having a record low effective FG% that hasn't been seen since 2008 for someone with his usage prior to J Williams return. He was a high volume extremely inefficient player, but with JWill back... it's now JWill's team and the offense runs through him. He can drive and dish or score.

Cliff's play has gone way up bc our guards have struggled to get him the ball around the bucket all season

Davis is a low volume shooter that is really in to play D and hustle. Him and Simpson did an excellent job on Young and hopefully that means they can contain Boo

Austin Williams has been hurt explaining his 0 minutes. It's TBD if he will play but there are less minutes now with JWill back and now Noah having a breakout shooting game so he would likely play few if any minutes anyway

Ogbole is an absolute monster but he is new to bball and it shows. His hands have been scary bad, but his physical presence alone is valuable

The is an entirely different team with JWill and Ogbole, but mainly JWill. He is the reigning B1G player of the week and playing like an all conference level. He is very good on both ends giving us a longer guard we were missing defensively and a playmaker that is also a scoring threat on offense. We have seen better player and ball movement. More team chemistry. He brings some swag

True. And sorry I can’t make the trip down to the RAC from CT this year, @SimpsonElmwood. Go Cats!
Right now, I’m also unlikely to make the game live.

If I can get away for one game, I want it to be our first round postseason game. Either in the dance or home for the NIT at Welsh Ryan (and an always welcome return trip home to Chicago and Evanston).

However, if my buddy who has season ticket seats near the NU bench decides to free them up for me… and I do mean free! Things could change. Otherwise I’ll be cheering from my comfy schmumfy couch and trying not to fall asleep.

Buttgers sound scary. Let's kick their ass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT