ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Pariano

Right. Whatever the cause, it had nothing to do with wins-losses.

When the official announcement reads "Drew Pariano is no longer with Northwestern University" accompanied by no thanks for service rendered or good wishes for other endeavors, etc., it's definite the termination was for cause. That plus the abruptness and timing forces the conclusion that this is a serious matter.

I suspect lips are sealed as much as can be under the circumstances. Safe to say lawyers are involved?

Still not much info anywhere.
Wrestling has a nice home schedule this year.

Sorry, I should have posted this here before. From my prior posting on The Rock:

1. I am looking forward to beginning the next chapter of my coaching/administrative career.

8 retweets34 likes

2. Drew Pariano ‏@DrewPariano Oct 26
    where I was honored to be the head coach (for 5 of them) and we have had some amazing people help us achieve many of our goals along the way

6 retweets27 likes

3. Drew Pariano ‏@DrewPariano Oct 26
    I have nothing but great things to say about Northwestern Univ. and I have a plethora of fond memories.We had an outstanding 10 year run
From College Wrestling News, Takedown Wrestling, October 29, 2015:

Why now?

“Sometimes it’s just best to move on and the timing of it (obviously) is not ideal but if there was a better way to have done it, I would have. I love this group of guys, they are close, they love each other and they aren’t afraid to get after it in the room and then be buddies outside of the room. That being said, I want to give back to the sport of wrestling, I want to coach, I want to be more involved with freestyle and Cadet and Junior teams, and at some point, I want to be an athletic administrator. I just can’t see myself without wrestling.”

The future of NU Wrestling:

“The program is in terrific hands with Matt Storniolo, Conor Beebe, Brandon Hatchett and Tim Cysewski. The guys on the team really respond well to this group and I believe that once everyone gets healthy, it will make for a very productive 2015-16 season. At this very moment if someone were to ask me about NU wrestling, I would say that it is simply the best combination of athletics and academics in the country. It’s not for everyone, but If you are extremely dedicated and can manage your time well, you will reach all of your goals right here in Evanston, Illinois.”

The Year itself:

“It did not go to plan, I saw us with potentially three National Finalists. Then Harger gets injured (dislocated shoulder) seconds before warm-ups are over. This occurred before the quarter finals and the guy still goes out there and builds a lead against Ramos when his shoulder just couldn’t take anymore punishment. Four-time All-American, McMullan losses in the last seconds of double overtime on a wild scramble. Tsirtsis and Habat have a battle, a ton of close calls and we lose. But with Harger even going out there, Tsirtsis and McMullan coming back strong for third, it just shows you what these kids are made of. When kids don’t reach their goals, I blame myself personally, just like I did when Welch lost to St. John. Those feelings never go away.

In December, I found out that my father (a long time wrestling coach) had been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. It was constantly on my mind. I was mad and frustrated that I couldn’t get back to Cleveland to see him. He is the best kind of dad, one that never blames a coach or a ref for a loss. I got to see him the second I got back from NCAA’s and he is fighting hard. I didn’t broadcast that too many people at the time but it weighed on me and my family a great deal.”

Right. Whatever the cause, it had nothing to do with wins-losses.

When the official announcement reads "Drew Pariano is no longer with Northwestern University" accompanied by no thanks for service rendered or good wishes for other endeavors, etc., it's definite the termination was for cause. That plus the abruptness and timing forces the conclusion that this is a serious matter.

I suspect lips are sealed as much as can be under the circumstances. Safe to say lawyers are involved?
I reached out to a guy who is very high in the administration and very close to the team (he was a past national champion). He claimed to not know the reason but agreed it must have been in his words "very serious."

Yes a dying father is very serious. Drew was never one to mince words so it is understandable that feathers were ruffled.

Yes a dying father is very serious. Drew was never one to mince words so it is understandable that feathers were ruffled.
Then I would have still expected a thanks for service message. Afterall he did a yomans (sp?) job with the program for the time he was here. Sounds much more serious

Where can we read about injuries, transfers, etc. ?

Right now, the team showing up on the mat is not what one would have expected at this point.

PS I wrote the post above before NU went down 24-0 to Iowa. Stopped following at that point...

on nusports.com, there is a story about the upcoming match with Penn State visiting on Sunday, plus a 2-minute video featuring Coach Storniolo. Nowhere for this team to go except up.

Yeah, this is a chance to see the number one ranked team in the country in Penn St.
It's going to be rough for the Wildcats with so many injuries, hopefully the experience gained by some of the young guys will pay off as time goes on.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Tsirtsis out of the NCAAs on day 2. Is he injured? Wow, has this team fallen fast. Feel bad for all involved.

Tsirtsis hasn't looked right most of the year. I have been wondering if we will find out that he needs either shoulder or elbow surgery now that the season is finished.

Tsirtsis hasn't looked right most of the year. I have been wondering if we will find out that he needs either shoulder or elbow surgery now that the season is finished.

Watching the NCAA's without an NU semi-finalist was disappointing

Just lost top recruit Nick Reenan who de-committed from NU.
He was considered to be in the top 5 prospects in the country.
NU needed to go after a higher profile coach.

Just lost top recruit Nick Reenan who de-committed from NU.
He was considered to be in the top 5 prospects in the country.
NU needed to go after a higher profile coach.

This program is sinking fast. Maybe shakes' farfetched idea of adding lacrosse or hockey and dumping wrestling isn't so outlandish. It's hard to imagine sandbagging a team worse than this. Of course, NU could never and would never drop wrestling with Midlands on campus every year... right?! I think it's almost obligatory to have the sport. Maybe NU will simply snatch away any funding and let the team totally collapse into a Dark Age. Maybe Pariano got into a fist fight with athletic department staffers over a total lack of institutional support. If he didn't, he should have.

Matt Storniolo was named head coach of wrestling, I guess removing the interim tag. Hope he can get this program back on track again. The Pariano situation is still a mystery.

Matt Storniolo was named head coach of wrestling, I guess removing the interim tag. Hope he can get this program back on track again. The Pariano situation is still a mystery.

Drew retweets a lot of NU related stuff, even Storniolo's promotion. But Drew did not retweet the announcement about Dr.Jim winning that silly AD Award. Ha ha.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT