ADVERTISEMENT

Elijah Brown Grad Transfer

To quote Bill Murray in Space Jam, "woah, woah, woah, I don't play defense"

Watched a bit of UNMs games against Nevada and Virginia Tech on YouTube. The whole team defense is terrible. Mostly playing some pathetically soft zone. No offense intended here, but I fully understand why their coach was fired. Brown didn't stand out as any better or any worse than the rest of the team on D. I'm confident that were he to join the Cats, CCC would expect much more effort on D from him than his prior coach, otherwise he'll be on the bench. It'll take an attitude shift from Brown. No more energy conservation mode (played long minutes at UNM).

Reactions: JournCat
Good.... that way if he doesn't pick us we can all sit around and convince each other it was a good thing. Of course, if he does pick us, then bar the door and turn off the lights folks because we have a monster star coming our way!!

Finally watched a couple years of film. I was expecting more ... a lot more. Not a long kid. Below average explosiveness. Will have trouble getting his 3 pt. shot off against better competition.

A more than capable mid major talent whose game will not transition well to the bigger, faster and better competition he'll face at the BIG level.

Think he would be our 4th guard next year, and a more than serviceable one. Possibly slipping to 5th if the far more athletic Gaines adapts quickly as a true frosh.

I think he's being recruited based on the no risk -- no obligation advantages of being a one and done grad transfer. Teams with roster spots to fill really have nothing to lose.

GOUNUII

Finally watched a couple years of film. I was expecting more ... a lot more. Not a long kid. Below average explosiveness. Will have trouble getting his 3 pt. shot off against better competition.

A more than capable mid major talent whose game will not transition well to the bigger, faster and better competition he'll face at the BIG level.

Think he would be our 4th guard next year, and a more than serviceable one. Possibly slipping to 5th if the far more athletic Gaines adapts quickly as a true frosh.

I think he's being recruited based on the no risk -- no obligation advantages of being a one and done grad transfer. Teams with roster spots to fill really have nothing to lose.

GOUNUII

I like his ability to get to the line. This could really help the Cats avoid those notorious scoring droughts. I like the potential of a backup backcourt of the Browns to provide some instant offense off the bench. They both definitely possess that scorer's mentality.

I like his ability to get to the line. This could really help the Cats avoid those notorious scoring droughts. I like the potential of a backup backcourt of the Browns to provide some instant offense off the bench. They both definitely possess that scorer's mentality.

Agree they both have a scorers mentality and a knack for getting to the line. Also agree that E. Brown would be an upgrade to our backcourt depth, assuming as we should that Gaines takes time to adjust.

My biggest concern for the backcourt is what happens after this coming year. Ash, Brown, Gaines and 2 or 3 freshmen places a lot of pressure on the staff/team to sign some 2018 freshmen that are locked and loaded from day one. Smith this year and/or a 2 year grad transfer like Johnson would be huge in bridging the gap. Not likely to happen. But exactly what we need.

GOUNUII

Reactions: scru
Watched a bit of UNMs games against Nevada and Virginia Tech on YouTube. The whole team defense is terrible. Mostly playing some pathetically soft zone. No offense intended here, but I fully understand why their coach was fired. Brown didn't stand out as any better or any worse than the rest of the team on D. I'm confident that were he to join the Cats, CCC would expect much more effort on D from him than his prior coach, otherwise he'll be on the bench. It'll take an attitude shift from Brown. No more energy conservation mode (played long minutes at UNM).

I caught the end of the Nevada game in the midst of a bout with insomnia. Truly one of the most improbable and amazing outcomes I've ever seen. I think SVP named it the worst bad beat of the season too. Nevada was down something like 14 with a minute to go and hit banked 3 after banked 3. Of course, UNM couldn't hit a free throw for its life. Was incredible to watch.

He was also pretty terrible at defense for a butler team that did ask him to guard guys.

I think he'll be able to score at Northwestern and in the BIG, there's just nothing he's ever done to suggest he will do so efficiently.

He was also pretty terrible at defense for a butler team that did ask him to guard guys.

I think he'll be able to score at Northwestern and in the BIG, there's just nothing he's ever done to suggest he will do so efficiently.

I really trust CCC and staff's ability to evaluate talent and fit for the team and system. If Brown is given the opportunity to be a Cat, I have to imagine that CCC really expects him to make a meaningful contribution this season. This would not be just a roster filler move. He knows how critical this upcoming season is to the program development roadmap he has envisioned.

There's actually a lot that he's done to suggest he can be efficient. Averaging 22 pts on 14 fga as a sophomore would qualify.

Reactions: scru
He seems pretty well-qualified to be a scorer off the bench who sits if we need more defense or if he's cold. It's just a question of whether he wants to use his fifth year to do that. Mac and Lindsey will remain starters and 30 minutes per game players, which leaves 20 minutes total to divide right now between Isiah Brown, Ash and Gaines. But he'd find a role here with his scoring ability, especially after an inevitable injury or two. And you can make an honest case that our proximity to Chicago and the Medill mafia would get him more attention here than anywhere else on his list, even a team that just went to the Final Four.

He seems pretty well-qualified to be a scorer off the bench who sits if we need more defense or if he's cold. It's just a question of whether he wants to use his fifth year to do that. Mac and Lindsey will remain starters and 30 minutes per game players, which leaves 20 minutes total to divide right now between Isiah Brown, Ash and Gaines. But he'd find a role here with his scoring ability, especially after an inevitable injury or two. And you can make an honest case that our proximity to Chicago and the Medill mafia would get him more attention here than anywhere else on his list, even a team that just went to the Final Four.

I think a lot depends on his goals. If he really wants to be a pro player, starters minutes would make sense. But, is he realistically an NBA prospect right now if he wouldn't start for this Cats team? NU offers the best degree on his list of schools. Learning from Collins and connecting with Doug Collins could benefit a media or coaching career path.

Also, if he is the highly capable backup I think he can be, it would enable CCC to keep starters minutes below 30, where I think he'd like to be. Lindsey will certainly get high minutes, but even if he, Law and BMac are averaging 30, with Lindsey playing the 3 while Law is out, I think there are, at a minimum, 30 minutes to go around in the backcourt. This is WITH E Brown on the roster, and in this scenario I don't foresee Falzon or Rap picking up many if any minutes at the 3.

I've put this forward already, but if I were CCC, I'd be pitching E Brown on being the 6th man and platooning at wing with Lindsey and Law... 80 minutes to spread across the three with AG providing depth. I Brown backs up BMac at lead guard for 10-15 min per game with Ash providing depth. As insurance, i could also see E Brown taking minutes at 1 in an emergency. He brought the ball up and initiated the offense regularly at UNM. It's really not a bad situation at all for him if he learns quickly and plays to the staff's expectations. He could be a major contributor on a very experienced team that has the potential to make noise in the B1G and NCAAs.

Oregon F Dillon Brooks has declared for nba draft signing with an agent. He gone, along with Dorsey. I expect Bell will now follow suit. I would think this makes Oregon far less attractive for Brown. We'll see...

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2017/04/dillon_brooks_oregon_career_is.html

Brown was visiting Oregon this weekend. They're losing a lot, but they're bringing in a 5-star 1-and-done in Troy Brown and 2 4-stars, and Georgetown transfer Paul White (from Whitney Young, at one time an NU target I believe) will be eligible. They're also considered the favorites on another 5-star center from California. And Jordan Bell hasn't yet said he's leaving. They'll still have a ton of talent. Doesn't mean they'll get it all to mesh, and we may well have as good of a team, but I don't think Oregon's going to fall off much.

Brown was visiting Oregon this weekend. They're losing a lot, but they're bringing in a 5-star 1-and-done in Troy Brown and 2 4-stars, and Georgetown transfer Paul White (from Whitney Young, at one time an NU target I believe) will be eligible. They're also considered the favorites on another 5-star center from California. And Jordan Bell hasn't yet said he's leaving. They'll still have a ton of talent. Doesn't mean they'll get it all to mesh, and we may well have as good of a team, but I don't think Oregon's going to fall off much.

Oregon is gonna be tough to beat in this recruiting battle. Hopefully CCC and Co can pull off at least one more meaningful addition to the team in this cycle. We'll see soon enough.

Reactions: PPLESCHER
Oregon's Jordan Bell has now also declared for the NBA draft and plans to sign with an agent. Oregon certainly has talent coming in, but they'll be young. Hope E Brown is enjoying his time in Evanston. A very veteran team with minutes to share at the wing... not to mention a world class grad degree. Don that Purple!

https://www.riselongbeach.com/lbtoday

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT