ADVERTISEMENT

End of game management

GatoLouco

Nov 14, 2019
Indianapolis
Exhibit 1

We have the ball, tied game, with 40 seconds to go. Buie runs out the shot clock for a terrible shot.

Why? No clue. If a team has the ball with say, up to 35 seconds, tied, I can understand running out the clock. Play the one on one, run out the clock. You don't leave the other team with the opportunity to score that way. At least that.

But with 40 seconds to go, the other team is going to have a decent chance of scoring in any case that is not an offensive rebound for us. So why would you not run your offense for 15 to 20 seconds at least? Why not see if you could generate an easy shot before you go one on one? The one on one play will be there after 20 seconds of offense anyway.

Unless you don't agree with this logic, this is 100% on CC. Not on Buie. CC could have called a timeout to make this happen

Exhibit 2

We have to miss a FT. We miss it, we even get so lucky that we get the ball. We lucked out. Winning an offensive rebound on a FT is always lucky. We got lucky.

But, why were Verhoeven and Nicholson on the bench for this rebound? You run that FT situation 100 times with them in and I guarantee you we will get the ball back more often than with them out.

I don't know, it felt to me like last year's deer in headlights end of game management.

Reactions: NUcats92
Exhibit 1

We have the ball, tied game, with 40 seconds to go. Buie runs out the shot clock for a terrible shot.

Why? No clue. If a team has the ball with say, up to 35 seconds, tied, I can understand running out the clock. Play the one on one, run out the clock. You don't leave the other team with the opportunity to score that way. At least that.

But with 40 seconds to go, the other team is going to have a decent chance of scoring in any case that is not an offensive rebound for us. So why would you not run your offense for 15 to 20 seconds at least? Why not see if you could generate an easy shot before you go one on one? The one on one play will be there after 20 seconds of offense anyway.

Unless you don't agree with this logic, this is 100% on CC. Not on Buie. CC could have called a timeout to make this happen

Exhibit 2

We have to miss a FT. We miss it, we even get so lucky that we get the ball. We lucked out. Winning an offensive rebound on a FT is always lucky. We got lucky.

But, why were Verhoeven and Nicholson on the bench for this rebound? You run that FT situation 100 times with them in and I guarantee you we will get the ball back more often than with them out.

I don't know, it felt to me like last year's deer in headlights end of game management.
Regarding your second point, I think it’s the right call not to have Nicholson in the game. If he comes up with the rebound and is fouled, it’s veryyyyy unlikely he makes both free throws.

I can see putting Verhoeven in there, but not Matt.

Exhibit 1

To me, it’s about the matchup. If Buie likes what he has, that’s a high percentage play. If not, they should run another play.
Exhibit 2

Likely because they cannot shoot if they get the ball. And height won’t matter that much when the rebound is flying anywhere far from the basket.
We are not at an advantage in the ends of games. Call it as CC or call it as the players.

Re: Exhibit 2, Collins said that they wanted Buie to make the second FT. So not an intentional miss even though we got the rebound.

Reactions: GatoLouco
I was wondering why we went small the last few minutes of the game. Without Nicholson down low PennState was able to drive and take advantage of one on one situations. With Nicholson in the game, there are no easy shots in the lane for Penn State.

To me, it’s about the matchup. If Buie likes what he has, that’s a high percentage play. If not, they should run another play.
Ball never left Buie's hands. The matchup is what Penn State wants it to be.

Second exhibit, I retract my comments because it appears the plan was to make the FT

Second exhibit, I retract my comments because it appears the plan was to make the FT
IU put Kopp on Pickett a lot yesterday. When they put him on Buie, we knew that was in our favor. Same issue applies. We can make a decision.

I’m pretty sure NU was able to screen into a preferred matchup against Funk.

I am totally fine clearing out for Buie. I liked it more three weeks ago, when it worked against Indiana, but I think Boo or bust is probably this team’s best ‘play’.

I would have been disappointed if the ball got to Audige and he got aggressive. Beran’s little baseline ‘look what I found’ play was one of the best of the year, and that comes because of Boo’s gravity.

If NU was truly trying to make the free throw, that’s the wrong strategy :)

Last edited:
Reactions: GatoLouco
Collins was screaming “Robbie” “Robbie” and motioned at him before the FT. Robbie then got a hand on the ball to tip it out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT