ADVERTISEMENT

Ernie Banks

Sheesh! The last time I saw him he was stepping out of the elevator I took to go to a company Christmas party.

Let's play two!

I think after winning a double header, he even said "Let's play three."

His image and persona was what I always hope for in sports figures. He was a gentleman athlete. I don't recall any blemish on his record, the kind of guy that deserves our admiration.

"The Cubs in heaven in '67"
"The Cubs will be great in "68"
The Cubs will shine in '69"

I use to imagine, if he had played with a couple good hitters around him and the pitchers had been forced to pitch to him rather than around him, how good he would've been. Clearly over 600 homers, possibly 700, as well as many other hitting successes. He was what all athletes should aim for - never complained, did his job phenomenally, and realized he was in a special position as a role model and did it right.

It's kind of too bad they couldn't find a way to win it at least once when they got around to having 4 future Hall of Fame guys in the team (Banks, Williams, Jenkins, Santo). But I guess they wouldn't be the Cubs if they had.

Like others of that era his numbers are even more amazing when you consider he spent 2 years in the service.

I was blessed to see #499 in person and will always remember watching #500 off Pat Jarvis right after walking home from school.

Ground ball to Banks......flips it to Gene Baker.........fires to Dee Fondy and the Cubs are out of the 5th inning against the Dodgers......ah yes, those were the days !!!!

Did Ron Santo get into the hall of fame? I thought he was nominated a number of times but never got in.

I was able to meet Ernie a number of times and he was such a stand up guy. He was not only a great ball player but a great embssador of the game.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

One of my greatest moments as a sports fan came during Ennie Banks' first season as a player coach. Going by memory, he had not taken the field all year as a player and midway through the season, the Cubs played the Sox in an exhibition game. All of a sudden, in the late innings, #14 appeared in the on deck circle getting ready to pinch hit. As soon as the crowd saw him step into the on deck circle, they gave him a wild standing ovation. A few minutes passed, he stepped up to the plate and the crowd was still cheering like crazy. First pitch, swing and a miss. The crowd went nuts. Second pitch, another swing and a miss. Everyone was on their feet clapping and cheering. Next pitch, swing and a miss and the place was up for grabs as Ernie strolled back to the dugout. I get goose bumps just thinking about it. And I am a Sox fan! We will miss you, Mr. Cub.

This post was edited on 1/24 2:00 PM by Pasadena Bound

This post was edited on 1/25 10:08 AM by Pasadena Bound

Right Jules and all because a group of jerks on the senior committee held a grudge against him. Joe Morgan was the ring leader and I would bet if Ron had something to say, he would have told them to shove it.

Originally posted by willycat:

Right Jules and all because a group of jerks on the senior committee held a grudge against him. Joe Morgan was the ring leader and I would bet if Ron had something to say, he would have told them to shove it.
+1

Mr. Cub's influence extended across the country, including to Montana. A couple years after picking up my Medill sheepskin, I was writing sports for the Billings Gazette. A sporting goods store invited Ernie to appear as part of the store's grand opening. This was sometime around February 1976, a few weeks after the Super Bowl. So I head to the store to get a few comments. Door opens and a troop of 5th- or 6th-graders come in - and they immediately congregate around posters of NFL stars (Roger Staubach et. al). Ernie walks over and, pointing to Staubach's poster, says, "guys, who's that?" They reply,"Roger Staubuch," maybe wondering why this guy doesn't know that. "Nah," Ernie comes back. "That's Mickey Mantle." Likewise with a black NFL star (can't remember who but it doesn't really matter). Kids know exactly who is; Ernie says, "Nah, that's Willie Mays."

Yep, baseball was the top of conversation that frozen February afternoon in Montana - and Ernie made sure the youngsterds knew it.

This post was edited on 1/26 4:09 PM by montana_cat

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT