Martinelli396861+7+8.10+9.50
Barnhizer396660+6+2.00+3.20
Smith, Blake274643+3+2.38+2.98
Mullins582+6-0.55+0.65
Nicholson274839+9-2.30-0.50
Clayton11.51917+2-2.25-1.85
Hunger13.52022-2-2.85-3.25
Buie396561+4-4.53-3.73

Nick Martinelli played the best game of his career (so far) and carried the short-handed Wildcats to a surprising win against Maryland.
After a couple of rough shooting performances, Nick has presumably quieted any remaining critics.
He and his buddy Barnhizer give NU a formidable inside scoring presence.

If you had told me a month ago that Northwestern would beat the Terps on their court, without Ty Berry or Ryan Langborg, I would not have believed it.
Former walk-on Blake Smith made a positive impression again, playing solid defense, hitting the boards and making 4 of 5 from the charity stripe.
Not bad for a guy listed at 6'6" 175 lbs, but he does bring an element of quickness to the floor for Northwestern.
Matt Nicholson didn't play particularly well, but continued to do a lot of little things to help the team.
His "lightning-fast" drive from the 3 point arc, around a screen, down the baseline and in for a two handed dunk was one of the highlights for NU.
I also enjoyed watching him directing Barnhizer to come out from the paint to the arc so that he (Nicholson) could set a screen and get Barney a wide open look.
That was a nice surprise in a fantastic win.

Northwestern needs just one more win to lock up an NCAA berth.

If you had told me a month ago that Northwestern would beat the Terps on their court, without Ty Berry or Ryan Langborg, I would not have believed it.
Former walk-on Blake Smith made a positive impression again, playing solid defense, hitting the boards and making 4 of 5 from the charity stripe.
If you had told me a month ago that NU had a player on their team named Blake Smith, I'm not sure I would've believed it, and I certainly wouldn't have believed he was going to make significant contributions in a big win.

Hunger's negative score: I believe he was in the game with both Smith AND Clayton (though it couldn't have been that much since the big three last night all played 39 minutes). I'd be curious to know his +/- was per lineup.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
If you had told me a month ago that NU had a player on their team named Blake Smith, I'm not sure I would've believed it, and I certainly wouldn't have believed he was going to make significant contributions in a big win.

Hunger's negative score: I believe he was in the game with both Smith AND Clayton (though it couldn't have been that much since the big three last night all played 39 minutes). I'd be curious to know his +/- was per lineup.
If you had told me a month ago a guy named Blake Smith would be in the starting lineup and have a better +/- than Boo, I probably would have had to fight you

• Wow
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Hunger was minus against Michagan and Indiana, needs to improve his defense and not producing offensively right not. He works hard and is confident. Just has to execute.
I think the game is still just really fast for him. He has visible skills offensively, but struggles to find enough opportunities to use them because he isn’t shrewd at moving off the ball and finding opportunities, and he’s just way behind the play and confused on the defensive side. Still lots of good potential there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT