ADVERTISEMENT

FSU to B1G

Separately, this whole exercise (the addition of USC, UCLA, Nebraska, Washington, Oregon) might have been avoided if Notre Dame joined 10 years ago. Delaney essentially said: fine, if you don't join, watch what we do.

This - and the fact that the Washington & Oregon additions are for less than a full share payout - are why I believe that the B1G will likely see the addition of Stanford (and maybe Cal).

Reactions: Medill '03
Are you comparing the pac situation with the ACC situation? Because that’s idiotic. The pac tv deal expires in 2024, ACC in 2036.

Do some research. The only way FSU is going anywhere is if ACC dissolves (not happening), FSU lawyers win in court (not going to happen) fSU strokes a check for $400 million (not going to happen).
Separately - on the research note - here's a quote from the President of FSU as of Wednesday:

“I’m not that optimistic that we’ll be able to stay,” Florida State president Richard McCullough told his trustees on Wednesday, per ESPN. “I just don’t know that. It could occur, but something radically different is going to have to happen. All options remain on the table.”

Also there's this from a FSU trustee:

Florida State Trustee Drew Weatherford: "It's not a matter of if we leave (the ACC), but how & when we leave"

Also there's this from a FSU trustee:

Florida State Trustee Drew Weatherford: "It's not a matter of if we leave (the ACC), but how & when we leave"
Their rights are owned by ACC until 2036! They are not leaving unless ACC releases the rights which thru won’t do unless they get a very large check.

No way they are in the ACC or whatever consists of it in 2036
Not what I said. The rights are locked up until 2036. Each year closer to 2036 the buyout costs less.

Just look at Texas and OU. There were 3 years left on the rights when they announced they were leaving Big 12. They ended up staying for 2 years because they couldn’t negotiate a buyout. Now imaging having your rights locked for 13 years.

There own estimates are it would cost $572 million! And again, the ACC could still say no. Now if they find a friendly judge, maybe they have a shot. However, that judge would be essentially nullifying every GoR contract. Very very long shot
Not so long that they didn’t find it too frivolous to file a lawsuit

This also is about convincing half of the conference to leave, rendering the GOR unenforceable.

Keep an eye on the quad of UNC, Miami, GT and FSU to the B1G.

Also keep an eye on Clemson, VT, Virginia, and NC State to the SEC.

Not so long that they didn’t find it too frivolous to file a lawsuit
Anybody can sue anybody (see Sol Rosenberg from Jerky Boys). Doesn’t mean the law suit has any merit.

I guess if FSU is willing to pay the conference half a billion dollars and ESPN keeps the payout per team the same post FSU exit, the ACC would do it.

Anybody can sue anybody (see Sol Rosenberg from Jerky Boys). Doesn’t mean the law suit has any merit.

I guess if FSU is willing to pay the conference half a billion dollars and ESPN keeps the payout per team the same post FSU exit, the ACC would do it.
Perhaps some of our elite legal posters (@IGNORE2 , @No Chores ) can share their thoughts for free.

The ACC is a mess.

It was an interesting discussion. I am not sure how large the B1G wants to get but if the ACC loses their GoR ,there will be a raid on their teams. If FSU and Miami head to the B1G, I believe ND would follow, then there would be 3 spots open to create a 24 team B1G with either 4 six team or 3 eight team divisions. Options for the remaining spots:(assuming Clemson to SEC and ACC collapses)
1. Stanford, Duke, Virginia for academics
2. North Carolina, Duke, GT-for TV markets(SMU a Texas market outlier)
3. Stanford, Cal and Duke -another academic profile-also creating a 6 team West Coast Division
4. UNC, NC State and Duke-natural rivals securing NC market
5. UVA, UNC, NC State-solidifies DMV and Carolina markets
6. SMU, GT UVA -B1G enters GA and Texas and strengthens DMV
There are so many combinations and reasons for each school to be considered.

FSU, Miami and ND-accesses Florida market/recruiting and National access to ND
SMU is adding onto their stadium and has conceded not to accept TV money for several years. Their alumni have deep pockets-accesses Texas market with an ambitious program
GT-enters Atlanta/GA TV and recruiting markets.
Syracuse, BC, Pitt, VT--sorry no interest-could piece together a good conference with remnants of ACC plus UConn
UVA, UNC, NCState-prestigious state schools
Stanford, Cal, Duke, UVA-academic stalwarts-strengthens West Coast presence and impacts academics and lesser sports.

Thinking about this is mind boggling-academics, TV markets, rivalries, money. travel logistics, divisions etc.

It was an interesting discussion. I am not sure how large the B1G wants to get but if the ACC loses their GoR ,there will be a raid on their teams. If FSU and Miami head to the B1G, I believe ND would follow, then there would be 3 spots open to create a 24 team B1G with either 4 six team or 3 eight team divisions. Options for the remaining spots:(assuming Clemson to SEC and ACC collapses)
3. Stanford, Cal and Duke -another academic profile-also creating a 6 team West Coast Division

SMU is adding onto their stadium and has conceded not to accept TV money for several years. Their alumni have deep pockets-accesses Texas market with an ambitious program
Syracuse, BC, Pitt, VT--sorry no interest-could piece together a good conference with remnants of ACC plus UConn
Stanford, Cal, Duke, UVA-academic stalwarts-strengthens West Coast presence and impacts academics and lesser sports.

Thinking about this is mind boggling-academics, TV markets, rivalries, money. travel logistics, divisions etc.
You mention a raid on the ACC...but by whom? Big Ten is already at 18. SEC at 16. This conglomerate is already bigger than the AFC/NFC/NFL model.

Check out the "CFP 5+7" thread I started...I believe if ESPN, Fox, and Turner actually do form a super streamer channel, that basically puts all three of them in bed together...this is significant because it reduces competition in the marketplace for CFB tv rights fairly significantly and leaves that group to compete only with NBC and CBS as media entities.

While people continue to cancel cable/satellite, the streamers not named Netflix aren't yet turning a meaningful profit.

This is all a house of cards for the greedy. Too many individual players looking out for their own narrow interests, the caretakers can't be trusted to look out for the greater good. Dangerous equation for all parties including the fans.

You mention a raid on the ACC...but by whom? Big Ten is already at 18. SEC at 16. This conglomerate is already bigger than the AFC/NFC/NFL model.

Check out the "CFP 5+7" thread I started...I believe if ESPN, Fox, and Turner actually do form a super streamer channel, that basically puts all three of them in bed together...this is significant because it reduces competition in the marketplace for CFB tv rights fairly significantly and leaves that group to compete only with NBC and CBS as media entities.

While people continue to cancel cable/satellite, the streamers not named Netflix aren't yet turning a meaningful profit.

This is all a house of cards for the greedy. Too many individual players looking out for their own narrow interests, the caretakers can't be trusted to look out for the greater good. Dangerous equation for all parties including the fans.
To be quite honest if this scenario goes down I will probably lose all interest in CFB. I mean c'mon now, how are the likes of NU, Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc really going to come out of the B1G without a minimum of 5-6 losses if they keep bringing in traditional powerhouses? The greed has totally taken over, forget tradition, etc. I already totally lost interest in the NFL, I didn't even bother watching the SB, and haven't really cared much since I saw Cam Newton throw the SB, so Manning could get the story book ending.

To be quite honest if this scenario goes down I will probably lose all interest in CFB. I mean c'mon now, how are the likes of NU, Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc really going to come out of the B1G without a minimum of 5-6 losses if they keep bringing in traditional powerhouses? The greed has totally taken over, forget tradition, etc. I already totally lost interest in the NFL, I didn't even bother watching the SB, and haven't really cared much since I saw Cam Newton throw the SB, so Manning could get the story book ending.
It’s going to happen at some point.

The NU’s, Purdue’s , Iowa’s and Wisconsin’s have to get better to compete. No different than now.

If four or even five schools say together..... "we're leaving" as did those in the PAC-12 (now PAC-2) then it's game over.

Stanford imo will leave for B1G and ND will then follow (then that's 20 in B1G)
FSU, UNC, Duke and Miami to B1G (at least my idea)

If four or even five schools say together..... "we're leaving" as did those in the PAC-12 (now PAC-2) then it's game over.

Stanford imo will leave for B1G and ND will then follow (then that's 20 in B1G)
FSU, UNC, Duke and Miami to B1G (at least my idea)
Any school can leave a conference at any time. The rights to televise those games stay with the conference. Unless FSU ponies up about half a billion, they aren’t going anywjere

Reactions: No Chores

Don’t think we’d take two Florida schools (sorry Miami unless FSU goes to the SEC) or two Carolina Schools (sorry Duke and State). I would say it would be Carolina, Stanford (over Cal to close ND), Georgia Tech, and Virginia just based on new markets, academic prestige, and value. Not gonna happen but SMU could be a dark horse given the oil money and history and if the B1G insists on going into Texas. They were a powerhouse program in the Pony Expre$$ days and are set up to thrive with NIL. Not AAU though.

All depends on what B1G puts weighting on. I probably lean heavy on markets and fit.

Here‘s a different take:

Don’t think we’d take two Florida schools (sorry Miami unless FSU goes to the SEC) or two Carolina Schools (sorry Duke and State). I would say it would be Carolina, Stanford (over Cal to close ND), Georgia Tech, and Virginia just based on new markets, academic prestige, and value. Not gonna happen but SMU could be a dark horse given the oil money and history and if the B1G insists on going into Texas. They were a powerhouse program in the Pony Expre$$ days and are set up to thrive with NIL. Not AAU though.

All depends on what B1G puts weighting on. I probably lean heavy on markets and fit.

Here‘s a different take:

God, what's the point of conferences anymore?

Reactions: NUCat320
To consolidate power amongst a few schools and to make athletic departments money.
I don't feel like any of this is directly for the money. I believe that they are working under the impression that they will have to pay athletes at some point, and they need to position themselves to compete at the highest level, whatever that may be. They can't let another conference (the SEC) jump into the lead. The money is a secondary factor. They just need to maintain supremacy in this level of football. If it meant everyone had to work on a smaller budget, as long it is them on top, I don't think anyone would care. They just need the eyeballs on their teams to basically advertise the school to as wide of an audience as possible, and to keep alum connect to the universities by letting them watch their school's teams every week. The national audience increases "prestige/popularity" of the school, and connected alum drive donations.

I don't feel like any of this is directly for the money. I believe that they are working under the impression that they will have to pay athletes at some point, and they need to position themselves to compete at the highest level, whatever that may be. They can't let another conference (the SEC) jump into the lead. The money is a secondary factor. They just need to maintain supremacy in this level of football. If it meant everyone had to work on a smaller budget, as long it is them on top, I don't think anyone would care. They just need the eyeballs on their teams to basically advertise the school to as wide of an audience as possible, and to keep alum connect to the universities by letting them watch their school's teams every week. The national audience increases "prestige/popularity" of the school, and connected alum drive donations.
It feels like your opening sentence directly contradicts your closing argument.

Alums driving donations… of something other than money?

I’ll keep it simpler: it’s fundamentally about subscription money.

Disney and Amazon say hi

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT