ADVERTISEMENT

Golson

nycat33

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2014
Everett Golson transferring from Notre Dame...Any chance he would be a Wildcat?

He is graduating from ND this spring and will be enrolling at another school as a 5th year grad student with one year of immediate eligibility. If he had interest, I would strongly consider it if I were Fitz. I think Thorson will be a stud but he could use another year of seasoning. Golson is a perfect fit for our system and we do have a scholarship available.

Supposedly interested schools include Alabama, Florida, Florida State, LSU and Texas. I doubt we have would have a shot if we were even interested.

He'd be perfect at Texas. Their QB's just haven't panned out -- in fact they are looking at another subpar season if the QB position doesn't get fixed quickly. Otherwise Texas is very talented.

and, Go Cats !!

Sorry , but this is such a Stupid rule .

I agree...surely there must have been some good intent when it was first enacted....certainly seems to have been a boon to the top programs.

One can only imagine the chaos if the one year off rule were not in effect for all transfers...

They still need to yank one more scholie too. Boo on ND.

I agree...surely there must have been some good intent when it was first enacted....certainly seems to have been a boon to the top programs.

One can only imagine the chaos if the one year off rule were not in effect for all transfers...
I love this rule.

It benefits the "scholar-athlete", one who gets his degree in 4 years like you are supposed to. It is about the only thing that benefits the athlete once he sign his LOI. So what if it benefits the top programs? That didn't seem to be an issue when Swopshire came to NU, was it?

They still need to yank one more scholie too. Boo on ND.

Boo is right. I like how the article says: "Prior to Thursday, Notre Dame appeared in line to enter the summer with 88 scholarship players, three over the NCAA's maximum allotment. With Golson and Wallace out, the Irish only need one more departure to get under the limit." Like this is normal and reasonable; "only need one more departure"!

It's an academic reason. By the end of the summer ND is usually under 85. This year will be probably be the same.
really ND recruits kids who are line academic and then hopes one or more fail to get into school. Isn't that a bit strange for a school that touts its high academic standards. Would love to see a composite of their recruits SAT scores and GPA's.

really ND recruits kids who are line academic and then hopes one or more fail to get into school. Isn't that a bit strange for a school that touts its high academic standards. Would love to see a composite of their recruits SAT scores and GPA's.
It's happened a couple times. Player is signed with the knowledge they have to get a certain score on the ACT/SAT or pass a certain class. Read the article on Blue Gold, the player said the decision to move on was mutual.

It's happened a couple times. Player is signed with the knowledge they have to get a certain score on the ACT/SAT or pass a certain class. Read the article on Blue Gold, the player said the decision to move on was mutual.

LOL. Starting to sound like Stanford. Screw kids over and then blame it on "academic" reasons. At least Stanford does it before signing day so that the kids have more options.

Would Notre Dame do this to a 5-star recruit? Of course not. They needed to get rid of a couple of kids to get to 85 scholarships, so this is what they do. Wallace is diplomatic about it because he still needs to find a home somewhere else. What's he supposed to do - throw a fit and scare off other potential schools because of a "bad attitude"?

College football is big business, and oversigning is part of the game for most schools. It is what it is, I guess, but I hate when fans try to justify these things as legitimate academic issues. Stanford and Notre Dame don't play this game with their top recruits - it's the marginal guys who get hit. Notre Dame will likely let go one more player to get to 85 scholarships, and I bet it won't be a 4 or 5 star guy.

What else is he supposed to say? "They dropped me like a sack of bricks and there was nothing I could do about it"?

He also indicated in other articles that there was on track to be admitted and there was still a chance he could still enroll in the school until the last couple weeks, so it doesn't seem like academics were as much an issue as the scholarship limit.

What else is he supposed to say? "They dropped me like a sack of bricks and there was nothing I could do about it"?

He also indicated in other articles that there was on track to be admitted and there was still a chance he could still enroll in the school until the last couple weeks, so it doesn't seem like academics were as much an issue as the scholarship limit.
That sounds exactly like what I described. He's "on track" to be admitted if he gets the necessary test score. Doesn't matter how many stars the players has. Tee Shepard was the #76 player in the country and an early enrollee and his scholarship was pulled for academics reasons. Don't forget Golson, Davaris Daniels, KeviVarae Russell and Ishaq Williams have all been suspended in the last two years for academic reasons. All starters and future NFL players.

If ND wanted to "process" players to get to 85 scholarships, why not any of the guys on the roster that haven't made a contribution, or the players, because of multiple injuries, probably won't play? Makes no sense to pull Wallace's scholarship, he was the only pure pass rusher ND signed this year. Guaranteed ND didn't want to lose him.

Everett Golson transferring from Notre Dame...Any chance he would be a Wildcat?

Rather have the QBs currently on the team play (let's see what they can do, plus they'll have a better handle of the playbook).

Now, if Fitz's remark about the 3 QBs being pretty even (if true, disappointing that Oliver's command of the O isn't well ahead of the other 2 QBs) isn't his usual coach-speak, then would give Thorson the job since he has the bigger upside (would give Alviti some snaps as well).

ADVERTISEMENT