ADVERTISEMENT

Great letter from Sobo

I never understood the haters. This young man played hard and didn't quit when his role changed. What else can you ask?

I'm glad that he looks back on his college experience with fond memories. He'll make a boatload of dough in his new career. Wish him all the best.

This letter should be distributed to all basketball recruits very early in the process. My best wishes to Dave.

Great letter definitely. I think Sobo suffered from expectations. For a couple of years he was the best we had at the position and for many of us it wasnt good enough. The Depaul loss a few years ago could have been his fault or bad coaching putting him under the basket in that last second situation. We will never know.

NU football raised expectations. Lacrosse and even softball showed that Northwestern can have champions in team sports. 30 years ago no one would ever expect victory at Northwestern. 20 years ago, can you believe its been 20 years,showed we should, can and will be victorious.

Can we stop the silliness?

You guys thought he was a certain level of player. Others didn't.

Because someone disagreed with you doesn't mean the conventional wisdom was anywhere near that he was "polarizing" to an average group of "fans" or that anybody hated him. Did anybody even come close to saying they hated him or didn't respect his effort? No.

Re: Can we stop the silliness?

Exactly. He was a player who was much more suited to his first coaching staff than his second, and his game had some clear deficiencies, but he busted his ass for four years, always gave 100% effort, and made several important contributions every season. I understand that to some, even that amount of criticism is unacceptable, but I never saw it get any more intense than that.

Originally posted by Sec.112:

Because someone disagreed with you doesn't mean the conventional wisdom was anywhere near that he was "polarizing" to an average group of "fans" or that anybody hated him. Did anybody even come close to saying they hated him or didn't respect his effort? No.
He was called a leprechaun and the team mascot on this board. And those are only the two comments that immediately come to mind, there were many more in a similar vein. I would say these were indicative of a disrespect of his effort, wouldn't you?

I always thought Sobo was a very nice player for NU. A handful of guys on this board got on his back and never got off. And the statistics never bore their criticism out.

I remember this year a jag bag poster driving a thread about how you wouldn't put Sobo on the floor at the end of the game and listed a bunch of inexperienced players ahead of him. Some of whom didn't play any meaningful minutes.

Sobo got the last word. He played meaningful minutes to the end. Had roles in crucial wins. Got his NU degree and is off to a great job. And never lost his class.

Originally posted by mikewebb68:
He was called a leprechaun and the team mascot on this board. And those are only the two comments that immediately come to mind, there were many more in a similar vein. I would say these were indicative of a disrespect of his effort, wouldn't you?
All of those things were said by Stupor. Just because one idiot says them doesn't make him a polarizing subject.

That's like saying Abrahamson was a polarizing subject on here because Doc bashed him at every opportunity, even though nobody else did.

Nobody EVER questioned Sobo's effort or attitude. Never.

His productivity? Well . . . like any other player, I think it's fair to question that.

Originally posted by Medill90:
I always thought Sobo was a very nice player for NU. A handful of guys on this board got on his back and never got off. And the statistics never bore their criticism out.

I remember this year a jag bag poster driving a thread about how you wouldn't put Sobo on the floor at the end of the game and listed a bunch of inexperienced players ahead of him. Some of whom didn't play any meaningful minutes.

Sobo got the last word. He played meaningful minutes to the end. Had roles in crucial wins. Got his NU degree and is off to a great job. And never lost his class.
A jag bag young journalist and his jag bag friends did just that and then argued vehemently that Sobo would not see any meaningful minutes behind a guy who, in fact, rarely played. They even offered to bet me that Sobo would not get significant minutes.

And I got ripped for defending Sobo and criticizing this punk-ass, defective clown.

Many more?

there were many more in a similar vein.
Yes, everybody knows about the Stupor festival when he said Sobo shoots like a girl - all in the same single thread.

Were there "many more?" Somebody will have to remind me of a second time anybody went down that path, much less when multiple people ("fans") expressed that kind of idea.

Are we really getting to the point that floor time is an off-limits topic on a basketball board?

Once again, just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean the object of your love and affection was treated poorly.

But I'm sure all of you acted with the utmost of respect when you responded to the criticism.

This post was edited on 4/15 10:59 AM by Sec.112

Originally posted by Medill90:
And the statistics never bore their criticism out.
You have seen his junior season statistics, right? To say there were never times where he warranted criticism isn't being honest.

Demps has been extremely more productive, and yet he's criticized as much as Sobo is.

Re: Many more?

there were many more in a similar vein.
Yes, everybody knows about the Stupor festival when he said Sobo shoots like a girl - all in the same single thread.

Were there "many more?" Somebody will have to remind me of a second time anybody went down that path, much less when multiple people ("fans") expressed that kind of idea.

Are we really getting to the point that floor time is an off-limits topic on a basketball board?

Once again, just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean the object of your love and affection was treated poorly.

But I'm sure all of you acted with the utmost of respect when you responded to the criticism.

This post was edited on 4/15 10:59 AM by Sec.112
You know, I started this post to bring to people's attention a really nice article that Sobo wrote appreciative of his time at NU. Only here could this turn into an argument. And if you don't think he was polarizing, just read this very thread.

"Haters" is a colloquial term that doesn't necessarily mean someone actually "hates" someone in the dictionary sense of the word. FYI.

"Only here ..."

Yes, let's blame the board for another in a long line of gross mischaracterizations. Once again and again and again ... it must be the board.

In the end, you really didn't just "bring attention," did you? (Yet another mischaracterization.) There's that cute little editorial. So take a little responsibility for what you wrote.

Re: "Only here ..."

Yes, let's blame the board for another in a long line of gross mischaracterizations. Once again and again and again ... it must be the board.

In the end, you really didn't just "bring attention," did you? (Yet another mischaracterization.) There's that cute little editorial. So take a little responsibility for what you wrote.
Sorry I posted this article that Dave Sobolewski wrote describing what he felt was the wonderful experience he had as a student at NU and as a player on the team. How wrong of me to think that people reading the NU basketball board might have found it interesting. And how wrong of me to post a "cute little editorial" (whatever the hell that means-- perhaps you mean that my implication that Dave has been the source of many arguments on this board was unfounded). Clearly I should have known that posting a link to Dave's article would have resulted in war on this board.

So I take full responsibility for what I wrote. Of course, if I had any idea whatsoever what it was that I wrote that was so controversial it would make it much easier for me to change my inappropriate behavior.

Re: "Only here ..."

Lol. I think the term you're looking for, 112, is "drama queen".

Methinks people who are quibbling about Sobo being described as polarizing...

are being disingenuous.

Methinks they should quit being so caught up in quibbling with other fans with whom they have had protracted disagreements and focus upon the awesome letter that a fabulous representative of NU wrote about his experiences.

One might get the impression that they think that their petty, shallow disagreements are more important than the fantastic experiences happening in the program that they purport to be fans of.

Re: Methinks people who are quibbling about Sobo being described as polarizing...

Originally posted by hoosboot:
are being disingenuous.

Methinks they should quit being so caught up in quibbling with other fans with whom they have had protracted disagreements and focus upon the awesome letter that a fabulous representative of NU wrote about his experiences.

One might get the impression that they think that their petty, shallow disagreements are more important than the fantastic experiences happening in the program that they purport to be fans of.
+1

Thank you!

Re: Methinks people who are quibbling about Sobo being described as polarizing...

What I feel is disingenuous is certain people being unable to allow performance criticism of a certain player (and making him out to be a victim in the process), but not having any problems criticizing other players. In the end, that's what made Sobo polarizing, and why this happens to be a current discussion. Certain people refused to hear any critique cast his way...of course, Demps and a few others were totally free game, even if they were far more productive players.

One hopes you'll continue to hold this standard

One should always understand the stupidity of their childish rants.

Methinks you've also set a good standard for petty disagreements. Gee, one wonders if there's anybody else you could preach to about how disagreements can get in the way of the true joy of NU basketball?

Oh...so Sobo is polarizing?

I thought when you said, "Just because one idiot says them doesn't make him a polarizing subject." you were implying he wasn't. But, I can totally understand how you'd only see someone else being disingenuous.

In the meantime, you've made a whole ton of posts on this thread without saying much about the actual topic of the thread…Sobo's awesome letter. Kudos to everyone involved with the basketball program for helping provide such a tremendous experience for those involved with the team.
This post was edited on 4/15 11:20 PM by hoosboot

I'll do my best

It's not really about me though. It's about the people in the program and being a fan of their efforts.

But, then I don't need to preach to anyone other than you and Virginia and Willy and Doc. Everyone else seems to get along pretty good. Only you guys could take an awesome letter like the one written by Sobo and turn it into a thread like this where you feel this is what really need to be said in response,

"Yes, everybody knows about the Stupor festival when he said Sobo shoots like a girl - all in the same single thread.

Were
there "many more?" Somebody will have to remind me of a second time
anybody went down that path, much less when multiple people ("fans")
expressed that kind of idea.

But I'm sure all of you acted with the utmost of respect when you responded to the criticism."

Maybe read the letter and, God forbid, comment on it. Check out most of the other responses in the thread. Most of them at least refer to the letter.

Seemed like a great teamate

What stood out to me was how enthusiastic Sobo was on the sidelines during the past season and a half. His head seemed in the game at all times and genuinely looked excited for his teammates (not saying that other weren't).

It wouldn't surprise me to see him in some kind of a coaching role down the road (ala Craig Robinson and Tavaras Hardy) after spending some time in the financial sector.

Re: I'll do my best

Once again,
Check out most of the other responses in the thread.
You mean like the first sentence in the 2nd post. "I never understood all the haters." lol

There's some other gems up there as well...
wink.r191677.gif

No...I mean like the rest of that same post

You know...the part where he comments on the content of the letter. It only took him one post to get to the subject of the thread and comment on Sobo's letter. You've made six times as many posts in the thread and have yet to comment on the content of the letter. Lame.
This post was edited on 4/15 11:19 PM by hoosboot

It's not really about me though. It's about the people in the program and being a fan of their efforts.

But, then I don't need to preach to anyone other than you and Virginia and Willy and Doc. Everyone else seems to get along pretty good. Only you guys could take an awesome letter like the one written by Sobo and turn it into a thread like this where you feel this is what really need to be said in response,

"Yes, everybody knows about the Stupor festival when he said Sobo shoots like a girl - all in the same single thread.

Were
there "many more?" Somebody will have to remind me of a second time
anybody went down that path, much less when multiple people ("fans")
expressed that kind of idea.

But I'm sure all of you acted with the utmost of respect when you responded to the criticism."

Maybe read the letter and, God forbid, comment on it. Check out most of the other responses in the thread. Most of them at least refer to the letter.
And, hoosboot soul owns thread. Well done! For the record, there were several other posters besides Stupor who attacked Sobo.

Re: No...I mean like the rest of that same post

You know...the part where he comments on the content of the letter. It only took him one post to get to the subject of the thread and comment on Sobo's letter. You've made six times as many posts in the thread and have yet to comment on the content of the letter.
As have you.
flush.r191677.gif

And you still haven't touched any of the points about why these tools feel it's okay to dump on other players, but bristle when people question Sobo's production.

Also, please point out a case where anyone....and I mean a SINGLE TIME....questioned Sobo's attitude and/or effort. It never happened. We all know he was an A+ in those areas. From a production standpoint.....well......the stats speak for themselves, but hey, that's just being a hater, right? lol

Re: No...I mean like the rest of that same post

Let it go already. The focus of the thread should be on Sobo's letter. It is awesome. I appreciate his play, his effort and the way he handled the ups and downs of a four year career at NU. He has a great future ahead of him and I wish him well.

hoos, sorry but I didn't know that the main purpose of a message board was to get along and BTW, this is my one and only post on this subject. Nice letter from Sobo and he seemed to have a good attitude but his production says it all.
This post was edited on 4/16 10:52 AM by willycat

If you had just posted the letter and left it at that... But you didn't. You added the comment that he was polarizing. He himself was never polarizing. Always a good kid that gave it everything he had.

You need reading comprehension help...

I made one post that didn't comment on the contents of the letter. And three that did. You've yet to make one that did. I'd wager you haven't even read it. At least Willy had the decency to comment on it. Nice work, Willy!

And, yup, the stats speak for themselves. Thanks for all you contributed to Northwestern basketball, David!

This post was edited on 4/16 12:02 PM by hoosboot

+1

If anyone made him polarizing, it was the OP of the thread.

Great letter and his effort is greatly appreciated. Good luck to Dave and thanks to him for his contributions to the program.

Actually I think his letter says it all...

Thanks for reading it and commenting on it. It is a pretty great reflection on the values of our basketball program and I agree with No Chores that it's the kind of thing that can be a bonus for the type of recruiting pitch we make.

See, even when we disagree, we can get along Willly!

Sobolewski was polarizing regarding his effectiveness as a player. Never for his effort, class, or love for Northwestern purple. I read his letter and it's not the least bit surprising. Dave truly loved his years in Purple and our program was better off for him being a part of it.

Snide comments like in the original post are polarizing as hell though.

Originally posted by olshin:
Sobolewski was polarizing regarding his effectiveness as a player. Never for his effort, class, or love for Northwestern purple. I read his letter and it's not the least bit surprising. Dave truly loved his years in Purple and our program was better off for him being a part of it.

Snide comments like in the original post are polarizing as hell though.
I'm sorry, but how is the original post snide? I said the same exact thing that you just said. Is your comment snide? Never did I say that his effort polarized fans. Nor did I imply it. It is undeniable that, at least among fans on this message board, Sobo was the subject of a lot of heated debate and I posted the letter as an example of something we can all agree showed his great class. Snide?

Do you ever get tired of being befuddled as to why your posts generate such heated responses? At some point in a moment of self-reflection, do you think that it might be you? Just circulate the letter without the commentary ("Thought you might enjoy this great letter from Sobo...") and I am guessing we are not having this exchange. He had some highs and lows as a player and that will subject you to criticism on this board. It's just the nature of the gig. Law experienced plenty of that this year, including from you.

It's a fantastic letter. He seems like a great representative of the University and he really had some great moments on the court. He should be very proud of both.

As one of the relatively few here who have no formal connection to Northwestern at all, it's stuff like this that makes me such a fan of the program. Kids like Sobo, Reggie Hearn . . . the list goes on and on . . . how do you NOT pull for kids like this, and celebrate their successes?

ADVERTISEMENT