ADVERTISEMENT

Hairball - Gotta Love It

First, I am sure that these were minor and I am sure we probably have minor violations from time to time as well, but U-M self reports 4 secondary violations from HC Jim Harbaugh's first four months on the job.

and since it looks like you can't post a link and you have to insert it this way, here is the link

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/05/michigan_football_self-reports.html

These kind of things happen all the time. Michigan is just under more of a spotlight given Harbaugh's, um, "interesting" history in recruiting and is subject to FOIA requests as a public institution.

PS -- if you highlight a block ot text then click on the paper clip-looking thing in the command bar above the block for typing, that's how to embed a link in the new format like so, though the white-on-gray doesn't really make the link stand out.

Exactly. Secondary violations are not uncommon, and in fact, if schools do not have at least a few secondary violations each year, one has to be suspicious of how carefully their compliance folks are monitoring the program. I remember a couple times when the athletics conference of the school where I teach sanctioned a couple schools because they went a couple years without reporting any secondary violations, even though the rest of us reported several every year to the conference office.

Exactly. Secondary violations are not uncommon, and in fact, if schools do not have at least a few secondary violations each year, one has to be suspicious of how carefully their compliance folks are monitoring the program. I remember a couple times when the athletics conference of the school where I teach sanctioned a couple schools because they went a couple years without reporting any secondary violations, even though the rest of us reported several every year to the conference office.
That is cynical and ironic all at the same time - basically those schools were punished for not breaking any rules, at least at face value.

ADVERTISEMENT