ADVERTISEMENT

How have ticket sales gone for tomorrow night?

4IUSox2

Feb 5, 2003
I thought I read here a few wks ago that they hadn't sold out for IU as they have in the past. If I go, will probably be last minute and buying one outside. Hope for a good, injury-free game.

They send us e-mails touting each upcoming game, and they'll often include the flyer, "LIMITED TICKETS REMAIN", or something to that effect. I don't recall seeing that disclaimer in the IU e-mail. FWIW.

purple pricing killed this event

If you go to nusports.com and try to purchase tickets by "Picking your own seat", you can count about 500 tickets that still remain. IMO, the ticket prices were much too high at $50 for this game. The prices started out at I believe $65 but have since dropped to $50. The purple pricing has killed sellouts in basketball and football. Not that our teams are playing great but we have seen dozens of sellouts with opposing fans prior to purple pricing.

FWIW: A solid NU fan came to the MSU game and had his 6 month old baby, along with his wife because he didn't want to miss the game. They tried charging the baby $45 for a ticket. I found that strange since the baby wasn't going to sit anywhere other than the mother's lap.

Re: purple pricing killed this event

Is Purple Pricing a way to encourage more season ticket sales? Just asking.

Originally posted by Catreporter:

Is Purple Pricing a way to encourage more season ticket sales? Just asking.
Yes and no. If you're an NU fan and/or would want to come to multiple B10 games then PP would probably make season tickets a better investment. If you're a visiting fan and are only going to buy tickets to the one game to see your team then PP gets more money out of your pocket and into NU's account. Very few games have sold out since PP was introduced, but I assume NU is making more money and the decrease in attendance is probably heavily weighted towards visiting fans, so I'm fine with it.

I'm not sure if it has encouraged more season ticket sales, but it absolutely has depressed the number of visiting fans and has also collapsed the secondary ticket market for those games. In years past it would've been very easy to sell tickets to IU fans for over $100 a pop, but nothing has sold for a premium on Stubhub at all. NU is definitely making more money off of fewer fans, and they seem to be ok with it.

actually, as of today, there are about 800 tickets left in a game that almost always sells out. The silver lining is that those 800 seats are usually filled with Indy fans. The purple pricing has a seat at $50 which is too high for a seat that is in the 300's sections. I don't believe the Athletic office will come down on the price since they didn't budge against MSU and still sold tickets at $45 right before tipoff. It must be a marketing plan that is working. Less sellouts, but more money for the university.

You say "they tried" to charge for the baby. Did they end up charging?

Cappy, isn't it a good thing that purple pricing has depessed the number of visiting fans and collapsed the secondary market? If a some of our "fans" can't scalp their tickets for a few bucks then I think that's a good thing as well.

It's not them trying to price gouge it's a Big 10 conference rule. Every person, even babies, need their own ticket. For football games they offer $10 lap seats, but everyone needs a ticket for hoops.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT