ADVERTISEMENT

I think I blame that loss on Bo Ryan

TheC

May 29, 2001
Just as folks were saying Ryan outcoached Calipari on Saturday, I think Coach K outcoached Bo last night. The biggest mistake Bo made was not strategically subbing Kaminski at all in the second half. That guy should have dominated down the stretch, but it was clear from watching his body language that he was just exhausted. If he could have gotten even a little rest in the second half, he may have had the energy to take over the game after the 5 minute mark. Instead, he looked tired and unable to fight for position even against a much smaller guy with Okafor on the bench. That was a blown opportunity.

Wisconsin might have just run out of gas. Duke didn't exactly play little sisters of the poor in the tourney, but I think any neutral observer would say that Wisconsin had a much tougher road to the final four, beating Oregon, North Carolina and an Arizona team that many thought deserved a one seed and then supposed team of the age Kentucky in succession while the Dookies drew the B1G's third-place team in the semifinal.

Would have been good to use one or two of the timeouts he stored until the end of the game to try and freeze the Grayson run.

Kaminsky down the stretch

I'll generally agree with you about Kaminsky down the stretch, or for the last ten minutes of the second half. However, I thought Kaminsky also tried to put too much on his shoulders. Once the ball went to him in the last five minutes, the ball movement was uncharacteristically Dempsonain (yes, it's a thing).

Goose eggs from Dekker from 3 and the free-throw line didn't help the Badgers cause either ... which leads to my question at the top of the board.

Too bad the evil empire won another. Hate 'em.

ADVERTISEMENT