ADVERTISEMENT

If Katy Triplets want to play together, it will be at NU

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
If "Katy Triplets" Paddy Fisher, Travis Whillock and Collin Wilder want to play together in college, Northwestern looks to be their choice.

Story: Three for one?

If "Katy Triplets" Paddy Fisher, Travis Whillock and Collin Wilder want to play together in college, Northwestern looks to be their choice.

Story: Three for one?
IMO, this will be a very long putt for NU to get these players to leave Texas in state offers on the table. Both Baylor and Houston have made substantial upgrades to new stadiums and facilities along with better fan support and weather. Not to mention being near family and friends with better chances of making bowl games and competing for conference championship rings.
NU coaches have done well in the past selling the academic excellence of the school while selling vaporware on facilities and everything football related. But for Texas kids with plans of returning home post graduation, the NU degree doesn't provide the advantages it does up north. I know the pitch worked on current Texas kids on your roster in the past but I bet if you polled them now after time in the program and Chicago environment, they would make a different choice if given the chance.
My prediction is one to Baylor and two to Houston.

IMO, this will be a very long putt for NU to get these players to leave Texas in state offers on the table. Both Baylor and Houston have made substantial upgrades to new stadiums and facilities along with better fan support and weather. Not to mention being near family and friends with better chances of making bowl games and competing for conference championship rings.
NU coaches have done well in the past selling the academic excellence of the school while selling vaporware on facilities and everything football related. But for Texas kids with plans of returning home post graduation, the NU degree doesn't provide the advantages it does up north. I know the pitch worked on current Texas kids on your roster in the past but I bet if you polled them now after time in the program and Chicago environment, they would make a different choice if given the chance.

You might be right they may all stay in Texas. I agree with may be a long shot. However, to say the former Texas Grown players at NU would make a different choice is not based in any factual data. In fact, the data we do have supports exactly the opposite. I realize there could be a reluctance to publicly say you wished you played your cards differently, but privately that thought would make the rounds to players, coaches etc and you wouldn't see any commits from Texas. Guess what NU has commits from Texas every year.

Yes, Baylor is a powerhouse, well coached, good fan support and all, but they only have 22 starters just like NU. Some good talent never gets off the pine, is that a great experience, not sure. If you think a Baylor degree has the same weight as a NU degree ANYWHERE I can't help you. Baylor is a strong football option, one of the best around, but if it is life after football you would be much better served at NU.

Houston hired a good coach that is been strong on the recruiting front. He will do good things for a couple of years and leave just like The last 2 big names. Houston is a stepping stone, playing in a weak conference that will be a regular invitee to the Armed Forces Bowl. A new stadium was built and what is the capacity, maybe 40,000? Not exactly Texas or A&M!

The state of Texas has been sending good players up North for years. See Iowa, Whiskey, Mich State to go along with NU. You can't keep them all there is not enough space. So you can use terms like "vaporware" and "selling" like things are fantasy, if you want. However, sitting down there in the great nation of Texas, I would suggest you don't know diddly squat about NU and should stick to providing updates on the Texas breed talent, something you have much more insight with.

Reactions: nu08
IMO, this will be a very long putt for NU to get these players to leave Texas in state offers on the table. the NU degree doesn't provide the advantages it does up north.

LOL wut. No company in their right mind sees an NU degree and says, "Nope, I'll take the Houston grad because he's a Texan." Kids can walk out of NU and into successful jobs around Austin and DFW in a second. I personally know a very successful NU grad (and former player), that came in as a YANKEE NU grad, and assimilated just fine in the hardscrabble Texas business world.

Gimme a break...

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver

So you're saying Texans like yourself don't value academic excellence? I can believe that. You're living proof.

Now run along, grab your guns and get ready to fend off the next Obama takeover.

But for Texas kids with plans of returning home post graduation, the NU degree doesn't provide the advantages it does up north.

LOL. You don't know what you're talking about. Lots of NU grads here in Houston, many of us from here originally. The NU degree is very well respected here in Texas. The networks through the local alumni clubs are strong. Did you know that the GMs for both the Houston Rockets and Houston Astros are NU alums?

LOL. You don't know what you're talking about. Lots of NU grads here in Houston, many of us from here originally. The NU degree is very well respected here in Texas. The networks through the local alumni clubs are strong. Did you know that the GMs for both the Houston Rockets and Houston Astros are NU alums?

Lone star comes around every few months to spew nonsense that no Texas Kid should every leave a Texas based offer on the table to come to NU. Seems a few people disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT