ADVERTISEMENT

If you could reverse one call, which would it be?

If you could reverse one call, which would it be?

• Goaltending vs. Gonzaga (assume no tech)

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Musso didn't fumble

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Hook and hold against Purdue in OT

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Michigan offensive line not set for field goal

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Spot on Colter's sneak against Ohio State

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Let's say you had a purple magic wand to make one controversial referee call (or no-call) go NU's way. Where would you use it?

For the sake of argument, play picks up right after the consequences of the reversed call, so scores, injuries, foul situation, etc. is still intact.

I wasn't yet a student for the Musso fumble, so I can't vote for that one. The missed goaltending call was easily the most impactful as we had all the momentum in the game and the arena fervently on our side. I firmly believe we end up winning the game if that is correctly called. The OSU one is my runner-up, who knows if the rest of the season would've played out differently if we win that game, but there's no guarantee we would've gotten a TD had we gotten the first down.

Let's say you had a purple magic wand to make one controversial referee call (or no-call) go NU's way. Where would you use it?

For the sake of argument, play picks up right after the consequences of the reversed call, so scores, injuries, foul situation, etc. is still intact.
Solid list. This hook and hold is probably at the bottom and the others were all at more important points in the season and more likely to change the outcome not just of that game but the future of NU sports. Musso doesn't fumble. Win RB and miracle season ends on high note. Mich game is over and it means so much for that game, potentially the season and future games against Mich. dOSU bast spot and the season disintegrated. Goaltending not called against Gonzaga and not Tech Foul and shot at making it to sweet 16. Purdue game never should have gotten to OT and while the call was bad it was the overall calling of the game where that was just the end and we have plenty of season left to get us to tourney

Reactions: drewjin
I wasn't yet a student for the Musso fumble, so I can't vote for that one. The missed goaltending call was easily the most impactful as we had all the momentum in the game and the arena fervently on our side. I firmly believe we end up winning the game if that is correctly called. The OSU one is my runner-up, who knows if the rest of the season would've played out differently if we win that game, but there's no guarantee we would've gotten a TD had we gotten the first down.
Don't forget the bogus Mich FG. I feel Musso fumble number one. Mich FG and Gonzaga Goaltending tied for 2 dOSU spot 4 and this hook and hold 5

Tough choice. Musso non-fumble is #1 for me, but Gonzaga goaltending is a very close second. I was at both events - while I was screaming my head off at the refs for the goaltending non-call, not being able to cap off the 1995 season with a Rose Bowl victory is still something that makes me sad. Spot on Colter's sneak is third.

Mich OL and Colter sneak are 1 and 1A. 1B and 1 C are Daniel Jones tipping it to a falling.Mich WR and criminal Frank Clark disrupting Trevor on the 2pt attempt in M00N game.

3 years of BS plays cost us wins v MichiGag

I've got to go with the goal tending call. If the zebras had called the first one, the Zags probably wouldn't have done it again, there'd be no technical and I'm confident NU wins that game and goes to the 16.

Totally agree with this. If you tell me that Colter gets the first down AND as a result NU wins the game… then I might have to switch my vote. Winning with Gameday in the house to go 5-0 and potentially on to even greater heights coming off the program’s first bowl win could have been a game changer.

Then again even if the goaltending was called, maybe the Cats still flop the following year at Allstate.

Reactions: phatcat and drewjin
Well, that's why it's fun. None of these games would be guaranteed victories if the call were reversed (wasn't the Michigan game tied? I forget and want to continue to forget). I voted for the Gonzaga game because NU was already at a serious height with its first tourney, a top seed opponent, and all the momentum in the world. Who knows what happens if that ball goes in?

If the options were the same but you were guaranteed to turn the loss in those games to wins, maybe a lot of us would answer differently. I'd probably pick the Ohio State game myself, as tough as it was to pass up guaranteed wins in the others.

About a dozen calls in the game against Hawaii at Hawaii where Northwestern was too cheap to pay for Big Ten officials to fly out so local refs (local meaning WAC refs) called the game and the loss cost us a bowl game, most likely against a not-yet-great Alabama team.

Grrrr.

Mich OL and Colter sneak are 1 and 1A. 1B and 1 C are Daniel Jones tipping it to a falling.Mich WR and criminal Frank Clark disrupting Trevor on the 2pt attempt in M00N game.

3 years of BS plays cost us wins v MichiGag
Those were bad but plays mostly self inflicted but I think the point of this thread was what officials call would you want reversed, no?

Well, that's why it's fun. None of these games would be guaranteed victories if the call were reversed (wasn't the Michigan game tied? I forget and want to continue to forget). I voted for the Gonzaga game because NU was already at a serious height with its first tourney, a top seed opponent, and all the momentum in the world. Who knows what happens if that ball goes in?

If the options were the same but you were guaranteed to turn the loss in those games to wins, maybe a lot of us would answer differently. I'd probably pick the Ohio State game myself, as tough as it was to pass up guaranteed wins in the others.
I think the game in question was in 2014 and we were ahead 9-7 when the FG that should not have been allowed was kicked and the final score was 10-9 Mich

Last edited:
I think the game in question was in 2014 and we were ahead 9-7 when the FG that should not have been allowed was kicked and the final score was 10-9 Mich
No. 2012 was the hail Mary that led to the tie and subsequent OT where we lost, 2013 was the FG that shouldn't have counted when we were up 9-6 that led to a 3OT loss, and 2014 was the M00N game that ended when Siemian tripped over his feet on the 2pt conversation that would've won it when we lost 10-9.

We love reliving the most painful moments in NU sports in these boards!

the-critic-it-stinks.gif

Tough choice. Musso non-fumble is #1 for me, but Gonzaga goaltending is a very close second. I was at both events - while I was screaming my head off at the refs for the goaltending non-call, not being able to cap off the 1995 season with a Rose Bowl victory is still something that makes me sad. Spot on Colter's sneak is third.
This was exactly my top 3 order. I voted for Musso fumble call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT