ADVERTISEMENT

Illini player rips program, Beckman on Twitter

Coaches dissing and ignoring football injuries can do that to a player.

Glades, I see you visited the IL board, once again a masterful swipe. thanks

While other Illini players are publicly calling him a quitter and defending Beckman.

My point is injuries create the potential for these sort of blow ups. Injuries are frustrating for both players and coaches and these situations are often not handled well. Usually because of ignorance or insensitivity on the part of the coaches.

Glades, I see you visited the IL board, once again a masterful swipe. thanks

Yeah, I don't take this as some strong indication that Beckman is a horrible taskmaster. It's just a blow up between a player and a coach about his injury situation. Cjivanovic will have some other players who are sympathetic to his situation, but most probably like Beckman and don't agree with his tweets.

A lot of this tension between player and coach is part of the stress deal of playing D1 football. If you don't like the pressure to play injured, then go play DIII ball. You may not find much leniency at the DIII level either. I tore up my thumb playing DIII ball and it was damn painful. My hand has a shake to this day because of this injury...but try getting any sympathy from a coach who lost his thumb in a grain elevator accident. Look at the guy on the right's left thumb!

SVVPFLLWXVFIZFY.20080623164750.jpg

Last edited:
I tend to agree. I detest the school from down south, but this seems like sour grapes. I prefer mocking their fanbase with their delusional superiority.

I tend to agree. I detest the school from down south, but this seems like sour grapes. I prefer mocking their fanbase with their delusional superiority.

Like the one who he retweeted that thinks Illinois would be a top 10 program every year if they could just have coach continuity?

Like the one who he retweeted that thinks Illinois would be a top 10 program every year if they could just have coach continuity?
the very fanbase, they are nuts. Kills me we lost to them last year but it is what it is.

The long running success at Wisconsin must make Illini fans heads explode. It chafes with their disillusions and brings them back to reality. They are a schizophrenic, underachieving athletic program and have been for many years. They are the new Michigan State.

The long running success at Wisconsin must make Illini fans heads explode. It chafes with their disillusions and brings them back to reality. They are a schizophrenic, underachieving athletic program and have been for many years. They are the new Michigan State.
I agree, they always allude to being the next Wisconsin. In no way is Madison comparable to Urbana. IL is an outstanding school but they are more Purdue then they will ever admit too.

I agree, they always allude to being the next Wisconsin. In no way is Madison comparable to Urbana. IL is an outstanding school but they are more Purdue then they will ever admit too.

Very true. The Purdue Illini.

I tend to think most players would have sour grapes if these allegations are even half true. What does this kid gain by this? The "believers" at Illini Nation are already all over him. Does anyone know the back story on the snub for the bowl game? Do injured players typically travel to bowl games. I certainly thought they did. Did he quit before the game?

It seems much of the claims can be either disproved or substantiated. Current injury, credentials of medical/ training staff and previous diagnostics. Clearly, there is extreme distaste for Beckman and no respect whatsoever. Guys play hurt, many like Glades mentioned still have lingering impacts, but few if any go off like this against their coach/school. Guys know the risks going in, this is a case where the kid was more hurt by the "boss" not believing him and then discarding him like yesterday's news than the actual injury itself.

I found it interesting that hurt players ware Purple jerseys and are referred to as "cats". Childish. Have we ever had anyone go after Fitz like this? The board would crucify him if we had a player go off like this. The forming of a union would be his fault. We have head coaches making seven figures a year, universities and conferences making a fortune and players get an education ( if they take advantage of it) and less than $5k a year. Of course, you will eventually have an uprising from the workers! Venric gets suspended, transfers, eventually graduates and gets a NU degree and proceeds to thank NU for standing by him. To me, the "we take care of you as a person" mantra which ridicule, is not BS, it is real. This is the main reason players should come to NU.

I hated to losing to this guy last year, but at least we are saved the embarrassment of this fiasco in Evanston.

So does anybody else see this as a broader, systemic, NCAA-level issue, or does everyone here pretty much think this is either (1) a Beckman problem or (2) a kid with sour grapes?

Sounds like a personal situation that spiraled out of control. However, having knowledge on how Beckman operates and treats his staff, I would not be surprised if there was more than a little truth to the kid's claims.

He also involves Tom Brattan, OL coach. If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not), he was NU's OL coach from 92-96, and assistant head coach/OL coach 97-98. What's your knowledge about Brattan?

He also involves Tom Brattan, OL coach. If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not), he was NU's OL coach from 92-96, and assistant head coach/OL coach 97-98. What's your knowledge about Brattan?

Absolutely nothing.

A great OL coach who was generally loved and respected by his players.

I feel bad for him that he ended up at Illinois...

Me too. Wish there was a way to have gotten him back to Evanston. Solid recruiter too.. He and Hef would be a solid one-two punch in PA and the Mid-Atlantic.

More players rip Beckman...http://www.dailyillini.com/article/2015/05/former-beckman-players-speak-out-twitter-attacks I really hope this ends with Beckman holding a press conference and fielding questions.
The quotes from the Toledo players really don't show any mistreatment. The effort of the writer to show an extended past history of such mistreatment fell flat. The claims of Cvijanovich and North are also not as huge of a story as the writer is trying to make it. Needs more to have any effect on Beckman's job.

Interview with Cvijanovic about Beckman. Kind of comical...

"Yohoo has more protein than MuscleMilk" (Beckman)

The quotes from the Toledo players really don't show any mistreatment. The effort of the writer to show an extended past history of such mistreatment fell flat. The claims of Cvijanovich and North are also not as huge of a story as the writer is trying to make it. Needs more to have any effect on Beckman's job.

Making players play with a significant injury is a serious accusation. Thomas needs to conduct an independent investigation. Beckman is being portrayed at minimum as a bully and at worst an abusive coach. This isn't going to help them attract talent. Thomas needs to stop hiding behind his "internal investigation" cover. If the Illini choose not to release the results, they are going to be viewed as hiding the truth and Beckman will be done like dinner.

ADVERTISEMENT