ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois predictions for 2015

Gladeskat

Gold Member
Feb 17, 2004
Their moderator (Bucshon) looked at tall the team schedules and came up with this prediction:

East
Ohio State 12-0
Michigan State 9-3
Michigan 8-4
Maryland 8-4
Penn State 7-5
Indiana 4-8
Rutgers 3-9

West
Wisconsin 10-2
Nebraska 9-3
Iowa 8-4
Illinois 7-5
Minnesota 6-6
Purdue 4-8
Northwestern 3-9

As offended as I was by this, the truth is I don't know what to expect this upcoming season. We're replacing 2 OL from an average OL at best. One of our best OT talents has been injured his entire career. We have to replace an experienced QB with a newbie, so we should see a dropoff in reading ability, if not passing performance there unless one of the three QB's makes a huge leap in their development. Sadly, our injury situation will carry over into this season as Kuhar and McEvilly will be rusty even if they do get to play (foot injuries scare me), and CJones is coming off of a second surgery on his knee. Has there been any word on his recovery; camp starts in about 7 weeks. Hopefully, the dozen other players have healed up by next season and shaken off some of the rust, too. This program has been trashed by injuries! We have talented RB's but we're going to need incoming freshmen to bolster our WR corps. I don't have much confidence in our linebackers because so few of them have seen any significant playing time besides Walker. We also lose a hammer on defense with Campbell graduating. Our playcalling last year became predictable at times, and other teams have figured out our offense. We talk about how much our recruiting has improved, but injuries have set so many of these young players back and I wonder if I'm ever going to see some of the studs we've recruited on the field.

On the other hand, we beat Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and we thrashed Penn State last season, suggesting we have some ability on this team. I feel injuries really hurt us, but so did players not being ready to contribute and poor play calling. Hopefully that can be fixed by September. There should be some urgency on this team to get better and beat the crap out of Illinois. That way I can go back to taunting their delusional fans. Their latest BS is deflecting blame from all the injury lawsuits within their program and pointing to Walker and the NU program as murderers. I want to beat them in the worst way.

Last edited:
On the other hand, we beat Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and Penn State badly last season, suggesting we have some ability on this team.

Maybe I am mis-reading this sentence, but PSU was the only team of the 3 NU beat badly last season. Notre Dame is probably a loss if Kelly doesn't have a brain fart and go for 2. Wisconsin was a good solid game, closer than the score would indicate. I watched a "football in 60" segment of the Wisconsin game on BTN recently, and completely agree, there was talent on that team. NU isn't having losing seasons because it doesn't have the talent to win in the Big 10.

Yes. You misread that sentence, but I was aware that it was not 100% clear when I wrote it, so I have changed it for dimbulbs who can't figure these things out for themselves (not you).

Maybe I am mis-reading this sentence, but PSU was the only team of the 3 NU beat badly last season. Notre Dame is probably a loss if Kelly doesn't have a brain fart and go for 2. Wisconsin was a good solid game, closer than the score would indicate. I watched a "football in 60" segment of the Wisconsin game on BTN recently, and completely agree, there was talent on that team. NU isn't having losing seasons because it doesn't have the talent to win in the Big 10.

You are so right. Using the same logic, there have been games over the past 2 years we should have won. It doesn't matter. Ifs Ifs Ifs, like stats, are for losers.

"I feel injuries really hurt us, but so did players not being ready to contribute and poor play calling. Hopefully that can be fixed by September. "

You'll have to let me know how those two things will be fixed by September...

It's disappointing to be 'looking up' at ILL but it's true.

Northwestern has a better chance of being 9-3 than being 3-9. Likewise illinois has a better chance of being 5-7 (or worse) than 7-5.

Reactions: CatsDad
My biggest fears have now come true. The Our State Our Team slogan has delivered Illini fever throughout the state from Du Quoin to Kewanee. High school teams are using WINT as a motivational slogan to guide their seasons. Friday nights throughout the state families are sitting down to lasagna dinners to prep for Saturday's big game!! The horror!!!

Their moderator (Bucshon) looked at tall the team schedules and came up with this prediction:

East
Ohio State 12-0
Michigan State 9-3
Michigan 8-4
Maryland 8-4
Penn State 7-5
Indiana 4-8
Rutgers 3-9

West
Wisconsin 10-2
Nebraska 9-3
Iowa 8-4
Illinois 7-5
Minnesota 6-6
Purdue 4-8
Northwestern 3-9

Forget about NU for a second, we'll have plenty of time to digest that before kickoff. What makes me chuckle is 7-5 prediction for the school by Rantoul. They get 3 cup cake wins in an embarrassing weak OOC schedule. North Carolina takes them down. That means that the prediction is 4-4 in the B1G against Nebby, Iowa, Whiskey, Ped State, Purdue, OSU, Minny and NU. Pleassssssse! I know the home/away is favorable, but it feels like somebody has the Pipe out.

They think they can win 4 against Iowa, Ped State, Purdue, Minnesota, and NU.

Forget about NU for a second, we'll have plenty of time to digest that before kickoff. What makes me chuckle is 7-5 prediction for the school by Rantoul. They get 3 cup cake wins in an embarrassing weak OOC schedule. North Carolina takes them down. That means that the prediction is 4-4 in the B1G against Nebby, Iowa, Whiskey, Ped State, Purdue, OSU, Minny and NU. Pleassssssse! I know the home/away is favorable, but it feels like somebody has the Pipe out.
They ALWAYS play this type of non-conference schedule even though those games draw thousands of empty seats which I'm sure will be the case again this year. Carolina is no powerhouse so I could see them going 4-0 preseason so they could get to seven. Depends if Lunt has improved. He lost his job to O'Toole because he lacked mobility.

It always comes as a surprise to me that there are actually fans of the U of I football program. At NU there are a number of things that make the Cats attractive at least to “underdog-lover” types: smallish private school with true student athletes competing against big time state-supported schools with lots more high-end resources (facilities, especially) and huge natural “non alumni” fan bases. Sometimes unconventional in terms of strategy --- when we are seemingly overmatched by virtue of size and record.

NU: Always a bit thin when others are deep, usually exciting, sometimes overachieving.

Illinois: Having the advantages but none of the results, how does anyone get interested, much less excited? Sort of embarrassing, wouldn’t you think?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT