ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Brown

A point guard is a player who initiates the offense and typically leads the team in assists. Brown simply doesn't do those things very well. See also hdhntr1's comment above, with which I'm in total agreement. Brown reminds me in many respects of Tre Demps who was clearly a 2, and so is Brown.
Gotcha! U guys think we need another recruit to help Lathon?

It's pretty obvious at this point that Brown is being pushed out of the program.

Was Ash being "pushed out" last year when Brown was getting minutes or was the coaching staff motivating him to work hard on his game to earn minutes?

Reactions: NJCat
Was Ash being "pushed out" last year when Brown was getting minutes or was the coaching staff motivating him to work hard on his game to earn minutes?

Last year things were working, and we didn't exactly need Ash's 'skillset'

This year nothing is working, the team goes on pronounced scoring droughts and the one thing Brown does pretty well is certainly needed

This is not the same at all

Last year things were working, and we didn't exactly need Ash's 'skillset'

This year nothing is working, the team goes on pronounced scoring droughts and the one thing Brown does pretty well is certainly needed

This is not the same at all

I diasgree. I believe CC thinks the team needs defensive intensity. We switched to the match up zone, got better on defense, and went on a little run.

I just checked ESPN stats for this year. Ash leadds Brown in nearly every statistical category. Field goal percentage, Ash .365 Brown .363. Three point percentage Ash .324. Brown .300 Defense is especially where Ash shines . Turnovers Ash 13. Brown 21. Steals Ash 14. Brown 8. Assists, Brown has a slight edge. Still, not even close. The biggest stat is NU was on a winning streak (4 of 5) when Ash was in the games. When Ash got hurt, we lost our last five. My guess is Ash starts next year,with Lathon backing up. Who knows who the third guard is,Brown,I suppose.

Last edited:

The best players were given the minutes and Ash wasn't one of the best players.

The best players were given the minutes and Ash wasn't one of the best players.

I think the coaching mindset is the same this year: the players that are currently best suited to give what the coaching staff believes is needed are the ones that will play. CC has recently stated that everyone knows IB can score. My take, then, is that if they thought scoring was the top priority he would play more. His minutes went down a lot once we switched to the zone. We are just emphasizing defense and they must not be as comfortable with him on that end as they are with JA (before his injury).

Reactions: willycat
He was horrible in the couple of minutes he played in relief of BMac in the first half. Just clueless. Jon Crispin even said "he's not a point guard". Might be the last we see of him in an NU uniform.
Maybe we can get a blue chip recruit still? Anyone good out there? Or transfer?

He did throw a nice pass at the end of the game when it was all but over, but yes, that was a terrible one-minute appearance in the first half. Not only a couple of sloppy turnovers, but I believe also failing to get over to stop a three-pointer.

If it's the last of Brown we see, count me among the very disappointed. I really thought we had something in him last year, and while he was far from what we wanted him to be, he did show flashes, at least in 2017, of being someone who could help the team.

Reactions: Dugan15
Brown always looks for his shot first. Once he puts his head down and drives to the basket, his teammates may as well just not even be on the floor.

Reactions: willycat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT