ADVERTISEMENT

It's official: Johnnie Vassar to transfer

I'm with ya clarificationcat. I think Vasser certainly had a chance to be a future contributor. That said, he was never going to be at 30mpg guy at NU...and that's probably what he's hoping for...

JV's transfer gives CC the opportunity to better balance the size of his recruiting classes. A 5 man class is not optimum. In addition, it would also be better to not have your two best point guards in the same class. You do not want to leave the cupboard empty when a starter graduates. The move by JV is in his basketball best interest, but it will be hard to top an NU degree. Hopefully, CC can fill his spot with either another 5th year (can a team have more than one?) backup point guard or a top recruit. CC has shown the ability to recruit. This is a short term loss, but may turn out to be a plus down the line depending upon when and how this slot is filled.

Thank for the info, willy.

Looking further into it, it looks like Marshall was actually suspended in January and decided to transfer then. His last game for Missouri State was Jan 11th, and the stories about him transferring came out Jan 16th. Wonder what happened there. Personally, I would love to get another scorer and ballhandler on this team. There's no indication that he is on track to graduate in May from what I've seen, however.

Should we be concerned about taking on two guys who got kicked off their teams last year?

Originally posted by JournCat:
Should we be concerned about taking on two guys who got kicked off their teams last year?
Have we taken two? I'm only aware of VZ. But if, indeed, it's two...then yes, I would be concerned.

Why are you not concerned about 1 but would be concerned about 2? Help me understand the difference.

Virginia Tech's coach is Buzz Williams who has made it known by words and actions that he wants a team of his own players. I have also talked to VaTech alums who have told me that he has run off almost all or maybe all of the players on his team from the prior coach. I think there were a few more transfers at the end of the regular season. So no, I would not be concerned that JVZ has a behaviorial or attitude problem. Also, I would think that the Coaching Staff and NU admission staff reviewed JVZ's dismissal for red flags before CC and his staff pursued and admitted him. As for the second player, I have no idea as to his dismissal.

Because one problem child can be contained by the rest of the team but if you have two, it can be much more difficult

Run off all of the players on his team from the prior coach, eh? Given that this is Williams' first year as head coach, wouldn't that be all of the players?

Buzz Williams has run off seven players in one year off the Va Tech roster. So it is not the entire team of 12 or 13 guys. Yes, he does have to field a team. But that does support the thesis that not all of the transfers had major attitude problems. It is more like they did not fit Buzz's type of player.

Likely not seniors and he can only bring in so many in one year so that probably limited him (but not much) By the second year, he could get rid of the vast majority if he wanted to.

Originally posted by Walker Fan:
Buzz Williams has run off seven players in one year off the Va Tech roster. So it is not the entire team of 12 or 13 guys. Yes, he does have to field a team. But that does support the thesis that not all of the transfers had major attitude problems. It is more like they did not fit Buzz's type of player.
Looks to me like the source of the attitude problems was Buzz Williams, not the seven players who left the program. Supposedly JVZ got ticked off because of playing time and whipped a basketball.

Likely not seniors and he can only bring in so many in one year so that probably limited him (but not much) By the second year, he could get rid of the vast majority if he wanted to.

Originally posted by hdhntr1:
Because one problem child can be contained by the rest of the team but if you have two, it can be much more difficult
I have seen this many times in group and team dynamics. I hired seasonal help for 25 years. I could always hire one who was a project and with the influence of the larger group that one would excel. Really excel, actually. The years I hired two projects they always found each other and struggled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT