ADVERTISEMENT

Jesse Meyler=Commit #5

algoncat

Dec 15, 2008
Per TOOS. Offers from Wake Forest, Maryland, Pitt, Vanderbilt, and Wisconsin.

Per TOOS. Offers from Wake Forest, Maryland, Pitt, Vanderbilt, and Wisconsin.

His full list of major offers include: UConn, Pitt, Illinois, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Wake Forest, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Also Harvard and Yale and a few other mid-majors.

Can you elaborate on what you like about his tape for those of us that don't know what we're looking at?

Can you elaborate on what you like about his tape for those of us that don't know what we're looking at?

I'll go into probably WAAYYY too much detail, but here goes:

From the start, he shows very good ankle flexion -- he can comfortably sit back in his stance with both heels on the ground and a flat back. While not necessarily important on its own, it's an indicator of higher athletic potential as compared to guys who are "tight." He's also got a relatively thick lower body and good frame, indicating decent growth potential (but that's always easier to evaluate in person "on the hoof").

In run blocking, his ability to get to the second level, target, and eliminate smaller, quicker linebackers is impressive for a guy his size. He also shows the athleticism to adjust his body to remain engaged while sustaining blocks along with the willingness to finish blocks. Not all bigger guys can make the smaller, more subtle athletic adjustments required to consistently do that. He also has strong hands, flashing the ability to lock onto guys and not let go. So long as he can keep his targeting solid, he should be fine.

His pass blocking is a bit less developed, which is likely a function of his high school playbook than anything. He doesn't have the quickest feet in the world laterally, but shows enough ability to redirect to get you comfortable.

If we're being picky, he can get a bit high on occasion and his feet will occasionally stop on contact. Both of these are pretty typical for BCS-caliber high school OL, who are used to being able to overpower most any opponent on brute strength alone. Both are also correctable through coaching.

Add it all up and he's a guy who will get every chance to develop as a RT (solid-average feet in pass blocking probably prevents him from playing LT) and could capably slide inside if needed. Good-looking OL prospect.

16 offers. Meyler is better than decent. Also Kolwich was offered as a guard it seems. No matter, both are great prospects.

I'm in the camp that believes Star Rankings have validity, but tertiary to how much the coaches want a prospect and how much other good programs want them. Looks like the Wildcats got,a couple of good ones.

I'm in the camp that believes Star Rankings have validity, but tertiary to how much the coaches want a prospect and how much other good programs want them. Looks like the Wildcats got,a couple of good ones.

Nice post. I would like to see the organizations who do the ranking like Rivals post the number of subscribers to each D1 program and rank the programs by these numbers. It would be interesting to note the changes in rankings over time as the recruiting cycle plays out. I bet they would be skewed towards the programs who have the most subscribers. IMO this trend is what makes star rankings third on your assessment list. Tom Lemming has been the most independent in the past but now I am noticing a trend towards the bigger programs in assessing talent. Maybe his ties to CBS is the reason. I have taken his service for years but I am now considering dropping it.

Star rankings have validity because they are based on player's measurable's, high school performance, projected position and ability at that position in college, level of competition, performance at camps against other top prospects, who is offering scholarships, and exposure. The last being a composite of several of the previous.

The rankings have validity because of their database. But the actual ranking only means something to fans. More specifically, fans who follow recruiting. That's why the Star Rankings follow in importance to what the coaches want, and what coaches want them.

Despite all that there are still individual guys who everyone wants that don't pan out, and guys who very few want- or in some cases just didn't get the exposure, at least until they show what they can do on the field in college.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT