ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Leonhard May actually be working this week

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Jim Leonhard, the Wisconsin Defensive Coordinator, is very good at his job. In addition to developing players well and an effective base scheme, I think he is Hankwitz-like in the wrinkles he puts in to counter threats particular opponents bring.

For the last five games, including one with Purdue, the Badgers have allowed just over seven points a game. Their defensive line has dominated their opponents’ O lines, their linebackers have been free, as a result, to wreak havoc and the DB’s have limited big plays. The only team that was able to have some success and mount successful, time consuming drives was Army, and they still held them to 14. You would think, facing the Cats, whose OLine has been terrible and whose offense in general has been moribund, the Leonhard could punch up his most basic game plan and either devote time to deciding which subs to give playing time to once the game is out of hand or taking time off to see his family. My guess, though, is that he watched the film of the Cats over the year and actually had to think a little about how to approach the game this Saturday.

At the crux of the issue is the idea that Marty, a big QB with fair fair running ability gives the Cats the possibility of attacking the Wisconsin D in an analogous way to the way Army did: Coach Jake might decide to forget trying to use his O line to create a passing pocket or holes through conventional blocking schemes and instead uses his QB to roll and scramble while spreading the field with the weapons he has, and to sprinkle in a few traps, misdirections and delays. Essentially minimizing the O line D line matchup means that the offense has a chance of success if it has a few players who can make plays. In the case of the Cats, the fact that there are two players that can create big plays in the open field (Hull and Robinson) and a third (Marty) who can get excellent yardage if the DLine loses containment probably gives JL something to think about. You also have to consider the fact that the second WR, Washington, is capable of beating single coverage for midrange possession throws with some consistency.
My guess is that Leonhard takes a deep breath, figures his linebackers and DBs are good enough players to make tackles against anyone in the open field, and works on rush schemes that emphasize containment and at time drop DE’s into zone coverage to try to counter NU’s attempts to spread the field rather than conventional domination. Amazingly, if the Cats don’t shoot their foot off on the first two or three possessions, the Cats O/ Wisconsin D matchup could be pretty interesting. What I really wish is either that Leonhard was not so good at his job or that he did decide to effectively take this week off. I haven’t looked forward to many games this year, but I do think this one may be surprisingly entertaining.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Interesting, but a couple of clarifiers. First, 6 of the 13 points that PU scored were from a defensive TD (~60 yard sack/fumble return), so the D has actually allowed less than 7 points a game over the last 5.

2nd, and no offense meant by this, but NU is not Army - the triple option they and the other service academies run presents unique challenges that are hard to duplicate, especially if you don't run it full time. Even so, Army wasn't all that successful until quite late in the game.

No team has really been able to do long drives against the Badger D, so I always give the advice to try and hit big plays and get turnovers. UW has been susceptible to those.

Interesting, but a couple of clarifiers. First, 6 of the 13 points that PU scored were from a defensive TD (~60 yard sack/fumble return), so the D has actually allowed less than 7 points a game over the last 5.

2nd, and no offense meant by this, but NU is not Army - the triple option they and the other service academies run presents unique challenges that are hard to duplicate, especially if you don't run it full time. Even so, Army wasn't all that successful until quite late in the game.

No team has really been able to do long drives against the Badger D, so I always give the advice to try and hit big plays and get turnovers. UW has been susceptible to those.
No offense taken, and I didn’t want to imply that the Cats are Army. The point I was trying to make is that a conventional offense has to deal with the Wisconsin DL on its own terms, which is a really tough task. I suspect the Cats won’t try to do so, but will try to use a very mobile QB with two explosive players to attack in a different way than what the Badgers have seen the last five weeks, minimizing the advantage the Wisconsin DL has. I suspect Wisky is up to the task, but if they aren’t prepared, they might be surprised. The Cats offense has been bad this year, but seemed to find an interesting approach the second half against Iowa that would make me a little wary if I had to coach against it.

You're mistaken. Jim Leonard has the week off. He's up against the Northwestern offense.

Reactions: ubercat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT