ADVERTISEMENT

Johnnie we hardly knew ye: Looking at Vassar's transfer

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
The news that freshman point guard Johnnie Vassar is transferring shouldn't come as much of a surprise to Wildcat watchers.

Vassar to transfer

Re: please edit this

it sounds critical to the kid for no particular reason. "pedestrian statistics", and "Transferring is nothing new for Vassar, who played at four different high schools spread throughout the country in four years as a prep."

Honestly I don't know the kid at all since he played so little and I watched so rarely, but I don't like the tone of this. Sounds like 'good riddance he didn't perform and was likely to transfer anyway'

He's a 20 year old kid. Cut him some slack

Re: please edit this

FWIW, I didn't read it that way. Lou doesn't have to talk up every player on the team past or present. He can be critical provided he supports his conclusions with facts. Vassar's numbers were pedestrian and transferring isn't anything new to Vassar. Lou provided the stats and the number of times he transferred in high school.

I do have to say that if this happened at Indiana, we'd see 2 dozen posts about Vassar getting Creaned.

I feel that this article is somewhat of an attack on the player. What does his HS transfers, some of which were based on his fathers job, have to do with this? Pedestrian numbers when he did not get the chance to get on the court? Just say that with the emergence of BMc, he saw that the handwriting was on the wall regarding his future chances for extended playing time and that he felt he has a better chance of reaching his goals elsewhere.

Exactly what harm do you think is being done to Johnnie Vassar by these gently critical comments? It's not exactly a secret that he rarely played and looked unimpressive when he did -- all of his stats are on the internet and all of our games were broadcast live in one fashion or another.

I'll repeat what I said on another thread. Vasser had a chance to show his quickness and playmaking abilities against the press that bothered Nu in vs. Central Michigan in the first half. He really struggled to show those special abilities everyone was hoping he had. Good luck to him in his next stop, but based on that performance, he needs plenty more seasoning and lots of playing time to get it. Perhaps that will mean playing at a lower level. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. .

ADVERTISEMENT