ADVERTISEMENT

Just Watched the first 20 minutes of Illinois Game

Max_Power

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
That was like getting an bucket of gatorade dumped on my hopes for this year . . . Marty fumbled on first two drives, one was recovered for an easy Illinois score. Hilinski replaces him, one drive ends on downs (no kicker) and then Hilinski throws a pick in Illini territory. 2 fumbles, a turnover on downs and int in the first 5/6 drives (one punt after Marty recovered his own fumble). Navarro had a nice return and he's on our side now!

The defensive tackles did not even occupy their men (woefully undersized) and Peters has all day to throw. Result is a 50 yard play and another long TD where no one is within 5 yards when he releases the ball. On the TD no one is within 10 yards of the Williams who waltzes into the endzone. Part of this is that the DBs are in coverage for way too long.

I think a lot of this was player personnel as opposed to scheme because its not like the D was doing anything by the Illinois game other than lining up in basic packages and hoping to not get blown off the ball. Illinois chose to throw but could just as easily run for 5 yards a play.

No receivers get open and no effort to stretch the field. Some sets of downs are 4 runs in a row. No play action. No kicker.

So you have 2 turnovers, a third by virtue of having to go for it on 3 and 5 and the 25, a non-existent d-line and a woefully unimaginative offense that has no plays over 10 yards long. Absolutely no play action or deception with the ball.

But yeah, it was a whole team effort at bad. Complimentary football at its worst.

What has changed since then? My reasons for hope...

DL -3 of the four d-lineman will be new. Size will not be an issue at tackle this year. Plus you have three guys with size at DT who have played some behind the starters in Gold, Butler and the Indiana State transfer (forgot his name). Coaches still need to find a solid option at the one DE. No idea where that is coming from. Speed rush guy would be nice ;-) We have a few of them now, I hope. I do have confidence that D will be improved just based on the size of the line. But the D-line recruits over the last 4 years really need to be improved.

OC must have had no faith in the o-line to pass protect because they did not even try. The tight ends were just additional blockers on almost every play with 2 on the field. How about a frickin' play where you play action and have one go to the flat?

Hilinski looks like a frustrated statute out there and I don't see how that changes unless the pass blocking is significantly better. I'd almost play Sullivan by default to give you a running option out of the qb.

Overall - a very disheartening 30 minutes on my Sunday before the first game next Saturday. I think the team will be better by default because it certainly can't be worse.

Reactions: McCormickCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News