ADVERTISEMENT

Kafka and Siemian

phatcat

Nov 5, 2001
Wisconsin
Perhaps it would get boring, and surely you don't get the notoriety and money of a starter, but it seems to me that being a backup QB is not a bad gig. Generally you are not a cripple by the time you are 40, for instance. I'm sure your competitive nature makes it frustrating to stand and watch, but if they keep in mind that they are essentially judged to be one of the top 100 QB's in the world, that is not so bad.

Perhaps it would get boring, and surely you don't get the notoriety and money of a starter, but it seems to me that being a backup QB is not a bad gig. Generally you are not a cripple by the time you are 40, for instance. I'm sure your competitive nature makes it frustrating to stand and watch, but if they keep in mind that they are essentially judged to be one of the top 100 QB's in the world, that is not so bad.

Agree. Versus the options of playing arena football or getting a real job, being a back-up on an NFL roster is a great gig. No one "chooses" to be a back-up instead of a starter!

The backup QB is always the fan favorite, it seems.

But I think the best gig in the NFL might be Long Snapper. You perform about 10 times per game and are not involved in a ton of contact. Pat Manelly had a great career doing this.
Check George Berman's (spelling?) career. Bears ,Rams and redskins. He was George Allen's long snapper in all thee places after leaving N.U.

By the way a business professor at Syracuse when I last saw him.

The backup QB is always the fan favorite, it seems.

But I think the best gig in the NFL might be Long Snapper. You perform about 10 times per game and are not involved in a ton of contact. Pat Manelly had a great career doing this.
How about punter? About 5 times a game and rarely hit while long snapper gets hit every snap he is in on as he has to block.

John Kidd - best NU punter I've ever seen. Think he had a 15-year career in the NFL.

How about punter? About 5 times a game and rarely hit while long snapper gets hit every snap he is in on as he has to block.
Unless you play for the Bengals. Kevin Huber had his jaw broken thanks to a blindside block on a punt return. Ouch!!

ADVERTISEMENT