ADVERTISEMENT

Last 4 games

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
It's a little bit encouraging that the last four games are against the middle of the pack. As the team finds itself, NU has the potential to deal these middle of the pack teams a loss and pull itself out of the basement. I'm sure the odds are against us but being 9th instead of 12th sounds a lot better. It is not a really grand destiny but this young team does hold it's consolation destiny in it's hands.

Nobody is a top 25 team and maybe not even a tournament team. In fact, it is possible that a couple of these teams might start mailing it in because they are disappointed with their season. I'm sure our guys had dreams of success but I doubt they are disheartened by how things have progressed. In fact a win on Wednesday might really reinspire them while everyone else is losing faith.

Go Cats!

I see your point but here is what you are missing. There is only one team who is really top 25 in the Big 10 in my opinion and that is UW. Yes, Maryland is ranked in the top 25, but has looked beatable over the past month. So using your logic, any wins over the Big 10's 10-11 teams does not mean a thing. This season is about development of the frosh and maybe soph Taphorn. What have we seen, NU has been competitive in the Big 10 except against UW because of NU's lack of size at the SF and PF position. They struggled to win in the last 3 minutes of games and now we are beginning to see glimpses of players learning how to weather runs by the other team and learning how to win. UW will lose the National Player of the Year Kaminsky and NBA first rounder in Decker. What that means is UW will be a lot weaker next year and be a Final 4 candidate. The one caveat is if UW does something miraculous and gets a top 10 high school big man in Diamond Stone and he is as good as advertised.

Going to the zone with one of the only true Big men in the Big Ten, in Olah has really solidified things and allowed our young players to focus more on offense it seems.

We could win our last 7 games of the season and go 8-10. Toughest one is Indiana who may carve up that zone with all their 3's. But they don't have any solid Big men. I think Blackmon is the best freshman in the league other than Russell.

What's really good is that we are finding a way to win the close games as well now.

Honestly, this team surprised me. Going zone seemed to be the switch, imo.

Maryland is a legitimate top 25 team. There is Kentucky and then about four other teams (Duke, Wisconsin etc.). Most of the other teams out there look very beatable on a given night. If VCU can be in the top 25, which they still were as of today, I certainly have no problem with Maryland being there. As Dan Dakich said today, Dekker should think long and hard before declaring for the NBA. His shot is erratic, and he doesn't always look focused out there.

I don't know how much it matters and I would invite guys who know to tell me but Indiana may be very tired when they come in Wednesday night. They play tonight (Sunday) at Rutgers. Likely they will not get home till after midnight. then travel to play NU Wednesday. That is a lot of travel and not much time to prep for our newly installed 2-3 Zone.

Maybe that is not a big deal for young guys but NU got home early last night (if they wanted to), likely will have today off and three days to prep for Indiana.

so

one day off and 3 days of preparation vs. no days off and two days of preparation. That sounds significant to me. Yes?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT