ADVERTISEMENT

Meet the under-the-radar QB who is quickly gaining momentum ahead of the NFL draft

Now this is a great article on Siemian. Far better than the last one we saw posted from the Brown's perspective.

I like that it goes from "foot in the door" in the second graph to "opportunity to win the job [in Denver] in 2016" in the tenth. That's from the reporter.

Seems a bit of a stretch, but why not bet on Trevor.

[As a practice, I think responsive design is overblown. I think the new message board is just fine. Need to update my old /forum.asp bookmarks, though.]

That's a very nice article. Think of the ND game and the drop passes by Jones alone! Both the ND game and the NIU game he should have thrown for over 300 yards and another 4 tds. He's way better than the way he played last year.

Could Trevor be the next diamond-in-the rough discovery like Tom Brady? He showed flashes of brilliance as a freshman and sophomore, then had some injuries and poor performances before seeming to get back on track before his season-ending ACL injury. His arm strength is good enough though not outstanding. I think someone takes a chance on him in the late rounds.

That's a very nice article. Think of the ND game and the drop passes by Jones alone! Both the ND game and the NIU game he should have thrown for over 300 yards and another 4 tds. He's way better than the way he played last year.

Would've thrown for over 300 yds in the NIU game as well but for dropped passes.

Those 1st 2 losses last season (irrespective of the dropped passes, etc.) were on the coaching staff.

Starting in the 4th Q of the UM game, Siemian showed what he could do w/ a moving pocket.

Sure, for much of last season, Siemian's ankle injury prevented him from doing that, but can't find the rationale for McCall not having moved Siemian around against Cal and NIU (when the O-line was struggling to pass protect).

To add insult to injury, also can't fathom why it took until after half-time for Hankwitz to adjust to Cal throwing in a running QB (didn't the NU D pretty much practice against that for the previous 3 years?).

Now, maybe that wouldn't have been enough to overcome those dropped passes and other moments of poor execution (maybe not for both games, but likely one), but the UM game should have been a win as well - so that's at least 2 losses on the coaching staff.

There are those who have placed too much of an emphasis on having a QB who can run like a RB, but having a QB who can run enough to keep defenses honest, esp. by running to set up/buy time for the pass is superior.

There's a reason why Miller isn't Meyer's immediate go-to choice to start at dOSU despite being the best athlete/runner out of the trio of QBs.

And while all 3 QBs are talented, the reason why Barrett and Jones were able to do so well last season despite the lack of experience was that dOSU usually had the advantage in the trenches, had weapons at WR and had a beast at RB (no coincidence that the one bad game Barrett had was when dOSU's O-line was befuddled by VT's defensive scheme).

Last season TS had to deal with a lot of stuff that was out of his control. He had a mediocre OL and an absolutely terrible receiving corps. I'm not sure how any QB can thrive under those circumstances.

Katatonic...just like a typical NU fan to hijack a thread about TS to bash the coaches. Sigh.

For the life of me I can't fathom why Lee committed to Pickett's Charge, when a flanking maneuver would have saved lives and increased the chances of a Southern victory.

Is observing that a coach -- a well-paid staff member in a competitive conference -- didn't perform his best in a key situation considered "bashing"?

Is observing that a coach -- a well-paid staff member in a competitive conference -- didn't perform his best in a key situation considered "bashing"?

Yes...

That is an opinion. The team lost it's best returning play maker in Mark due to a transfer and had an injury to it's second best returning play maker in Jones prior to the season. It also had issues with McEvilly being out which explains why the running QB had a great day up the middle. I don't remember who else was injured during the off season and going into that game. Additionally, 2 out of the first 3 drives went 3 and out. The coaches may not have had time to get the defense adjusted before they went back in. It also didn't take until halftime to adjust. The coaches changed the look of the defense during the 2nd qtr with Rubenzer which forced him into a pass and that lead to an Campbell interception. In my mind, the coaching staff did admirably keeping the team working and started a comeback after being down 31-7. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough that day to make up for the hole that we dug. Additionally as Fitz has stated, the team had to deal with the off season of unionization and that took away from the team's preparation.

We're both reasonable people and can come to our own opinions. In this case, our opinions differ; however, why do you even bothering saying the negative opinion publicly? What good can it accomplish? How does it help the program that we both love enough to spend time on this message board discussing every little detail. Would you like someone that knows a tenth of one percent as you about your job criticizing your job performance? If you make hundreds of thousands of dollars as the coordinators do, would you say, I have it coming because I make so much money? I know I wouldn't. I would be insulted by the idea that some person that doesn't know what he's talking about is judging me and doesn't even have the guts to do it without anonymity.

Moreover, what if a player, a parent, a recruit... read what you wrote? Is that the image of our program you want to present to people? It's one thing to vent after a game. It's another thing to bring up tired points 236 days later.

We've had some decent QB's over the years- Baseanez, Kafka, even Kustok ... It surprises me that we haven't had one achieve NFL success. I thought Kafka had some tools and might have more than a cup of coffee in the league. The one who's lack of post-college success surprises me most was Dan Persa- unless he could never come back from that Achilles injury. He looked like he could play Pro.

For the life of me I can't fathom why Lee committed to Pickett's Charge, when a flanking maneuver would have saved lives and increased the chances of a Southern victory.
Hindsight is 20:20, drones and planes didn't exist, walkie talkies were a not heard of entity, and it was still a manly art of war to charge ahead and win the battle or attrition by absorbing as many bullets as you could, rather than use a different technique!!

His diary clearly shows he knew the folly of the Charge, but "Honor" or "Pride" pressed him into it.

My comment was regarding how yet another thread on a different subject was hijacked.

How does it help the program that we both love enough to spend time on this message board discussing every little detail. Would you like someone that knows a tenth of one percent as you about your job criticizing your job performance? If you make hundreds of thousands of dollars as the coordinators do, would you say, I have it coming because I make so much money? I know I wouldn't. I would be insulted by the idea that some person that doesn't know what he's talking about is judging me and doesn't even have the guts to do it without anonymity.

I appreciate the reasonable tone with which you make this point, but I couldn't disagree with it more. Part of taking a job like a major-college coordinator is the public scrutiny you face when things don't go well. Fans have no duty to say everything is fine after two 5-7 seasons -- and I don't think Fitz would say that, either. My personal rule is not to attack a student-athlete putting his body on the line for a (valuable, but still limited) scholarship. But the coaches getting paid to put them in the right position are fair game for criticism, as long as it's not personal. And if you think your opinion doesn't have value because you're not paid to coach football, why are you here?

If Lee had listened to Longstreet we might all be saying y'all now.

I appreciate the reasonable tone with which you make this point, but I couldn't disagree with it more. Part of taking a job like a major-college coordinator is the public scrutiny you face when things don't go well. Fans have no duty to say everything is fine after two 5-7 seasons -- and I don't think Fitz would say that, either. My personal rule is not to attack a student-athlete putting his body on the line for a (valuable, but still limited) scholarship. But the coaches getting paid to put them in the right position are fair game for criticism, as long as it's not personal. And if you think your opinion doesn't have value because you're not paid to coach football, why are you here?

Just because something is "part of taking a job," doesn't it mean we should be involved in it. Kate Upton is worth 20 million dollars. She makes a living by having a great body and showing it off. If she gained a couple pounds and was caught on camera, would it by "part of the job" to get body shamed on the internet. Yes, it is in today's society; however, it's still wrong and you shouldn't do it.

Currently, people are slamming Fitz and the coaching staff for losses that occurred 200+ days ago. 5-7 isn't where anyone, Fitz first and foremost, wants to be. You take everything into account with injuries, transfers, unionization, and it's clear to me that Fitz, Hankwitz, McCall and the position coaches are excellent. They went to 5 straight bowl games, had a 10 win season, and broke the bowl losing streak. They didn't forget how to coach. They just had a bad luck streak for 2 years.

Is everything fine after two 5-7 seasons? I don't know what fine means. We have 2 QBs that played last season and a 3rd QB that could be the best of the bunch. We have lots of young talent on the roster. Our secondary is the deepest and best I've seen. We have an NFL quality DE, and our DTs could be a strength if Kuhar and McEvilly are 100%. We had a true freshman rush for over 1000 yards and then you add in Anderson, Long, and Vault. RB will be a huge strength. Our TE position looks strong and deep too. Anthony Walker stepped in as an LB last year and will lead the group this year. I'm a big fan of Drew Smith as well. On the Oline we had a lot of young players get time the last few years in DePietro, Mogus, Frazier, Park, and Olson. They will all be a year older and better. Mertz appears to be the healthiest in his career as well. We've got a lot of really good pieces next year.

On top of that, we have a coach that loves being the coach at Northwestern. We have players that not only graduate, they have a high GPAs in aggregate. They not only stay out of trouble, they're active in the community and are solid role models. We have an AD and a president that support the team. We're building a new practice facility that will get done in the next 2 years. So currently 132 days from college football season starting, I would say everything is fine.

Why am I here:
I started reading this board many years ago as a way to gain information about the team. I would learn about recruiting, which players are up and coming, personal information about the players, staff changes that I may not appear on the ESPN blog and the list can go on and on. I also liked reading a lot of posters' opinions because people were generally positive. It made me happy reading that others were as passionate about the cats as me.

I never bothered to post, because I'm not an expert and was afraid to be embarrassed by a more knowledgeable poster. Then the board's tone changed. It was a negativity fest. People want to fire coaches, hold Fitz accountable, rip on Jim Phillips, hate on this and that, lie about the facility being built and the list goes and on. I decided to post to tell everyone to stop being jerks. Instead everyone should get back to supporting the team like a real cat fan should.

Yes...

In this case, our opinions differ; however, why do you even bothering saying the negative opinion publicly? What good can it accomplish? How does it help the program that we both love enough to spend time on this message board discussing every little detail. Would you like someone that knows a tenth of one percent as you about your job criticizing your job performance? If you make hundreds of thousands of dollars as the coordinators do, would you say, I have it coming because I make so much money? I know I wouldn't. I would be insulted by the idea that some person that doesn't know what he's talking about is judging me and doesn't even have the guts to do it without anonymity.

Moreover, what if a player, a parent, a recruit... read what you wrote? Is that the image of our program you want to present to people? It's one thing to vent after a game. It's another thing to bring up tired points 236 days later.

This is a position that I will always argue strongly against. I've always felt that players and family members should stay far away from sites like this. While we don't want to be jerks and we should remember that these are basically kids playing this game, I also don't think we have to act like cheerleaders all the time on here. If someone is playing badly or coaching badly, we should be allowed to talk about it - even critically. It is not our job to be public relations reps for the university. We are fans. Fans cheer and fans bitch. That is what makes being a sports fan so great. We get to experience a range of emotions, vent some stress and feel part of a community all centered around something, that at the end of the day, means very little in real life. And the coaches don't have it coming because they get paid so much, its that they get paid so much because there are fans who care enough to criticize (and cheer and spend money).

A flanking maneuver was unlikely on the 3rd day, given that the Federals had already reinforced and extended their lines on their far ends. Opportunity for flanking action was lost on the 1st day, and attempts on the 2nd days were made, but generally unsuccessful.

But, you are on to something. Successfully flanking the Yankees would have won a crushing victory at Gettysburg, but like I said was lost on the 1st and 2nd days. On the 1st day, General Ewell was given imprecise orders by Lee to take the heights at Cemetary Ridge. Lee had instructed him not to bring on a general engagement in doing so, which would have been impossible. History fails to mention this, and the fact that at the time Ewell's troops had been exhausted at the time and was facing much stronger opposition including entrenched Federal artillery. More than a few historians remark that Ewell actually made the right decision, especially in light of Lee's orders. Separately, had Ewell's subordinates, particularly Jubal Early been successful in taking the previously unoccupied Culp's Hill they would have been in a very advantageous position to threaten the Union right.

On the 2nd day, Ewell's attacks on Culp's Hill actually had some fleeting and potentially outcome changing success.

Two regiments on the left (10th and 23rd Virginia) outflanked the works of the 137th New York. 137th New York found themselves on the extreme right end of the Union army, fending off a strong flanking attack. Under heavy pressure, the New Yorkers were forced back to occupy a traversing trench facing south. They essentially held their ground and protected the flank, but they lost almost a third of their men in doing so. Because of the darkness and the 137th's heroic defense, the Confederates did not realize that they had almost unlimited access to the main line of communication for the Union army, the Baltimore Pike, only 600 yards to their front. Continuing the advance to the right would have exacted a huge disaster on Meade's army.

20th Maine's famed defense of the Union Left on Little Round Top similarly put off any chance for a flanking maneuver on that end.

Why did Lee commit to a frontal assault? Likely because he had no other option left to him to attack the federal lines and because he "though my men to be invincible." The more prudent action at this point may have been to take on Longstreet's advice to take on defensive positions on the ground they held to goad the Federals into a counter attack, but that would have been unlikely given George Meade's generally conservative demeanor, as exhibited by his failure to do so on a weakened Confederate enemy on the 4th day.

Last edited:
So what your also saying is that maybe Fitz was right to play Colter over TS?

Katatonic...just like a typical NU fan to hijack a thread about TS to bash the coaches. Sigh.

Where exactly was there coach bashing in there?

I guess these days - legit criticisms about specifics is considered coach bashing by some.

And hardly a hijack since it pertains to TS's relative lack of production (in both stats and W-L record); there were those who actually did bash TS when it came his pro prospects in an earlier thread (funny, didn't see SciCat defending a player then from actual bashing), and yet despite his rather modest stats and W-L record, TS is getting interest from scouts/teams.

Just maybe they are astute enough to look beyond the nos. and take into account the talent surrounding TS, his leg injury and yes, the game plan/play calling (now, this by no means that TS doesn't have stuff to work on, himself, but at the same time, he could have been put in a better position).

Yes...

That is an opinion. The team lost it's best returning play maker in Mark due to a transfer and had an injury to it's second best returning play maker in Jones prior to the season. It also had issues with McEvilly being out which explains why the running QB had a great day up the middle. I don't remember who else was injured during the off season and going into that game. Additionally, 2 out of the first 3 drives went 3 and out. The coaches may not have had time to get the defense adjusted before they went back in. It also didn't take until halftime to adjust. The coaches changed the look of the defense during the 2nd qtr with Rubenzer which forced him into a pass and that lead to an Campbell interception. In my mind, the coaching staff did admirably keeping the team working and started a comeback after being down 31-7. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough that day to make up for the hole that we dug. Additionally as Fitz has stated, the team had to deal with the off season of unionization and that took away from the team's preparation.

Granted, the 'Cats were hit with injuries but that's something that all teams have to deal with unless they are extremely fortunate (like the 'Cats were in 2012.

The 'Cats were out in a big hole from the start b/c Cal had the better, more innovative game plan.

TS was actually healthy at this point and w/ an O-line that had trouble pass protecting and receivers that had trouble getting separation, should have moved the pocket to buy time from the pass rush and give the receivers more time to get open.

But we didn't see this until the 4Q of the UM which (surprise), was too little, too late.

We're both reasonable people and can come to our own opinions. In this case, our opinions differ; however, why do you even bothering saying the negative opinion publicly? What good can it accomplish? How does it help the program that we both love enough to spend time on this message board discussing every little detail. Would you like someone that knows a tenth of one percent as you about your job criticizing your job performance? If you make hundreds of thousands of dollars as the coordinators do, would you say, I have it coming because I make so much money? I know I wouldn't. I would be insulted by the idea that some person that doesn't know what he's talking about is judging me and doesn't even have the guts to do it without anonymity.

If the coaches can't handle this type of critique from a message board, then they are in the wrong profession (the professional sports writers are still going over what went wrong last season).

And these are hardly isolated cases, and it goes back before and including the 2012 season.

And what would be the point of these message boards if we are just to be pollyannas?

Praise should be given when there are things praise-worthy and criticism should be given when warranted.

Reactions: NJCat83588
From the dOSU game in 2013 Trevor played really poorly for long stretches due to injury, loss of confidence and some questionable coaching (formations, play calling). He has enough of the fundamental talent and skills to have had some outstanding college games and to generate a lot of interest by NFL scouts. I just want to see him drafted, perhaps by Denver who seems to have the most interest and best situation for Trevor.

Just my opinion, but any team that drafts him is taking a gamble. Granted he was injured most of his last two seasons which affected his play, the OL play was not good at times, and our WR's performed poorly, but TS often doesn't see the field, makes poor throwing decisions and lacks the instincts to move around in the pocket and avoid sacks and batted balls. When he's on, he's great, Strong arm and nice touch (see Syracuse) but he often is off with his throws and reads. He should be a free agent pick. I wish him well, though. Afterall, Kafka made the NFL after tossing 5 picks against Auburn.

Last edited:
Ge'ez Katatonic...can't you read? My comment was about hijacking a thread about TS to make comments about coaches.

Boy the sky is blue. Yeah, last time the sky was blue the coaches sucked. Congrats to TS. Yeah, he'd be better off if we had better coaches. I'm taking my wife to dinner today. Yeah, if the coaches spent less time going out to dinner and more time coaching, we'd be better off.

Katatonic didn't hijack a thread! He fleshed out reasons why TS performed poorly the last two years, and yes, poor coaching was responsible for some of his perceived failure as a QB (see Michigan game, 2014). So was sporadic poor OL and WR play. That said, I still question whether he's shown enough consistency and good decision making in pressure situations to merit being drafted.

Katatonic didn't hijack a thread! He fleshed out reasons why TS performed poorly the last two years, and yes, poor coaching was responsible for some of his perceived failure as a QB (see Michigan game, 2014). So was sporadic poor OL and WR play. That said, I still question whether he's shown enough consistency and good decision making in pressure situations to merit being drafted.
Highly unlikely Trevor will be drafted. He will likely be signed after the draft as a training camp QB with a long shot to make the practice squad of some team. NFL teams need guys to throw during training camp to preserve th arms of the roster QBs, and Trevor fits the bill very well.

If Trevor gets drafted, it will be in the 6th or 7th round. If he doesn't get drafted, he will get a ton of offers to sign as an UDFA and ultimately that would be the best scenario for him because he could pick the situation that best suits him. I think Trevor has the potential to be a 10 year NFL QB but the key will be finding the right situation with the right depth chart and coaching (the Bears might be a good fit). Trevor's up and down career can be attributed to many of the things that have been mentioned in this thread but ultimately the biggest problem is that he was not an ideal fit to run the spread offense that NU and a lot of college football teams run. Trevor's skill set is much better suited to the NFL game and with some development in his accuracy and decision making, I think Trevor can have a nice career as a backup NFL QB. Reminds me a little of Frank Reich from his days as the backup QB with the Bills.

Just my opinion, but any team that drafts him is taking a gamble. Granted he was injured most of his last two seasons which affected his play, the OL play was not good at times, and our WR's performed poorly, but TS often doesn't see the field, makes poor throwing decisions and lacks the instincts to move around in the pocket and avoid sacks and batted balls. When he's on, he's great, Strong arm and nice touch (see Syracuse) but he often is off with his throws and reads. He should be a free agent pick. I wish him well, though. Afterall, Kafka made the NFL after tossing 5 picks against Auburn.
The gamble is that he was injured each of his last two years. Is it a good idea to go after someone with that injury history? Cannot even get to his decision process etc because he was always injured. UFA is a possibility and if he can stay healthy, then maybe he can show them more but hard to use a draft pick on him.

It will depend on how well he worked out. Certainly the interest is there which is evident from the number of scouts who watched him. If he is fully recovered from his injuries I don't see his history of injuries affecting the decision. Don't know if he will be drafted late but I would only be mildly surprised if he were.

TS blowing up...report today states he's been contacted by 11 teams over the last two days. Might sneak into 6th or 7th round.
I doubt it. But he will almost certainly be singed as an undrafted free agent. Low risk for the signing team, good arm to have in camp.

If Trevor gets drafted, it will be in the 6th or 7th round. If he doesn't get drafted, he will get a ton of offers to sign as an UDFA and ultimately that would be the best scenario for him because he could pick the situation that best suits him. I think Trevor has the potential to be a 10 year NFL QB but the key will be finding the right situation with the right depth chart and coaching (the Bears might be a good fit). Trevor's up and down career can be attributed to many of the things that have been mentioned in this thread but ultimately the biggest problem is that he was not an ideal fit to run the spread offense that NU and a lot of college football teams run. Trevor's skill set is much better suited to the NFL game and with some development in his accuracy and decision making, I think Trevor can have a nice career as a backup NFL QB. Reminds me a little of Frank Reich from his days as the backup QB with the Bills.

I agree with Corbi. He was a square peg in a round hole, lacking the speed to run a spread, and prevented from pocket passing both because of the spread and the lack of OL protection (and poor separation by the receivers). Reminds me if Orton at times . With proper protection and training he could be a long term survivor in the Sunday games

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT