ADVERTISEMENT

Need help settling a bet

chicagocatfan24

Gold Member
Jun 2, 2014
Hello everyone:

A few weeks back I believe I read on an article that was posted on these message boards that claimed strength and conditioning programs are getting away from weight lifting and instead focusing on yoga, body weight exercises, etc.

Someway somehow, a friend of mine and I had gotten on the topic and he says that not a single big time professional or collegiate program has abandoned traditional weightlifting and I said schoolsa re starting to.

Can someone smarter than me please settle this for me? It's of utmost importance while I rot in my cube today.

Please and thank you, and Go Cats

Hello everyone:

A few weeks back I believe I read on an article that was posted on these message boards that claimed strength and conditioning programs are getting away from weight lifting and instead focusing on yoga, body weight exercises, etc.

Someway somehow, a friend of mine and I had gotten on the topic and he says that not a single big time professional or collegiate program has abandoned traditional weightlifting and I said schoolsa re starting to.

Can someone smarter than me please settle this for me? It's of utmost importance while I rot in my cube today.

Don't recall the article but probably not abandoning weight training but more incorporating other things into the mix.

I don't remember the article either.

If your bet is based on the term "not a single big time professional," you may be able to win with Herschel Walker. I believe it's pretty well documented that he never lifted a traditional weight. His muscle was built on body weight exercises such as some hideous number of pull ups, etc.

If your bet is based on the term "not a single big time professional," you may be able to win with Herschel Walker. I believe it's pretty well documented that he never lifted a traditional weight. His muscle was built on body weight exercises such as some hideous number of pull ups, etc.
I would just consider that a different form of weight training

Herschel benched 375 lbs, and 225 lbs 24 times in college. The story that he NEVER lifted weights and did strictly body weight workouts was something he cultivated for the media. Same with the story that he eats once a day, and only soup, salad, and bread. He did a lot of body weight workouts and used to promote and sell his body weight workouts, but to say he never lifted weights isn't true. One doesn't get traps like he has without lifting something.

Hello everyone:

I remember the article but got the feeling that they were doing weight training differently with the addition of yoga.
Clearly the BB team is still lifting because we just had an article on that recently.

i think when we see the bodies and physicality of the team this year we will know the answer to this

I think you may have already seen the team and have an answer to the question. Please tell! First set of practice sessions including the new frosh additions and JvZ just ended - why doesn't anyone have a report?

I think you may have already seen the team and have an answer to the question. Please tell! First set of practice sessions including the new frosh additions and JvZ just ended - why doesn't anyone have a report?

Nobody ever does. We knew virtually nothing about the incoming freshmen last year until the season started.

The article you read was probably about the Stanford strength and conditioning program, which has massively reduced injuries and is based more on useful strength and useful speed and things like flexibility and yoga and quick movement that pure speed and pure strength. I wouldn't say that EVERYBODY has gone to this, but a lot of folks (including NU) are starting to dabble in it...

ADVERTISEMENT