ADVERTISEMENT

New Rule in Force, at least for Duke: Incidental Touching OK

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Arguably the pivotal call of the entire game when Wisconsin did not get the possession after Duke's player was the last to touch the ball in the closing minutes of the game. I do give the refs credit for taking the time to look at the replays but unless the guys in the TV booth were blind, they had pronounced there was an obvious change of direction after the tip of the finger made contact.

Now if the exact same scenario had played out with a Badger player in reverse role……..

This post was edited on 4/6 11:19 PM by Alaskawildkat

We didn't get one call the last eight- ten minutes.
Greyson Allen pushed off, violently on every drive, Badgers called for any contact, except when they had the ball.
Dukan takes a charge, foul on him, other side, Duke player flops, foul on Dukan, made me sad, disgraceful.

Originally posted by LeftyLarry:
We didn't get one call the last eight- ten minutes.
Greyson Allen pushed off, violently on every drive, Badgers called for any contact, except when they had the ball.
Dukan takes a charge, foul on him, other side, Duke player flops, foul on Dukan, made me sad, disgraceful.
Gotta agree with you here, Larry. That Allen kid is impressive, and I'm not one to bellyache about the refs . . . BUT, on several drives he DID seem to clear out with his left arm, while violently throwing his head back when challenged by a Wisconsin defender. And, like you, I seriously disagreed with that charge call. Still, though, the game is won and lost by the players; we can both point to numerous plays where Wisconsin could've/should've executed better, among those a couple of relatively uncontested bunnies missed by Nigel Hayes. Regardless . . . a great season by the Badgers; they did themselves and the Big Ten proud.

As someone who would have won a total of $700 in two different bracket pools if the Badgers would have won, trust me when I say that I was rooting hard for the Badgers. That being said, blaming refs is lame. The fact is that Duke deserved that win by making several big plays down the stretch. Jones was huge and Okafor made up for a bad game with a few giant plays with under five to play. The Badgers had their chances. When they were able to get it down to three with 50 seconds left, why in the hell do you foul the 2nd best FT shooter in the ACC? Either play defense or foul someone else. They had options there and they chose the worst one.

The Badgers were a fantastic team and had a great season. I truly believe they are better than Duke, but Duke earned the victory last night because they made more big plays late. Plain and simple.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

It's a little rich for UW fans to play the victim now, given their treatment while in conference play. The whole "Wisconsin doesn't foul" myth exists simply because B1G refs choose to swallow their whistles when the moment of truth comes. They handcheck, push, and grab with the best of them. They just got outplayed and "outphysicaled" down the stretch yesterday...it happens when you expect 6 guys to continuously compete at that level for 40 games.

Yep, Duke had better depth and it showed in the second half. Also, Jackson just not back anywhere close to the player he was and they really needed him last night.

Wisconsin does foul, but I don't agree that they "handcheck with the best of them." They play much better positional defense than most teams I've observed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT