ADVERTISEMENT

New Stadium

I'm a little confused...wasn't there a vote of some sort that happened where the $100M pledge came into play (AFTER the Land Commission voted no?) Or was that just a meeting to announce the $100M before the vote that happens tonight?

And if all goes our way...is this Saturday vs. Purdue the last game at this version of Ryan Field?

On 10/30 (or 10/31 if the vote was after midnight) City Council voted to introduce the rezoning ordinance for a final vote. Tonight City Council will have that final vote.

I haven't been following this very closely, but the commentary I've read suggests if it passed the introductory vote then it will pass the final vote. Just to be clear, this is the exact same people voting tonight as the first vote. I have wondering if the voting will change this time for political reasons. The mayor had to break the tie in the first vote so maybe someone else will change their vote so he doesn't need to carry this decision entirely on his back. Who knows.

A couple City Council members who voted in favor on 10/30 said they wanted to get even more out of NU for approval. Sure enough NU announced same additional benefits yesterday (I haven't had a chance to read the details).

11/20/23

Vote to allow construction of new stadium was 6-2
Vote to make changes to ordinance to allow concerts, etc was 5-4 with Mayor breaking tie

Opponents say they'll file lawsuits against NU & Evanston to block concerts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT