ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern lands British CB Timi Oke

Really excited for him, although he may be disappointed about the "play in front of thousands" part. I guess he can at away games

Reactions: mountaindrew
Looks like it's not the same old same old thing recruiting anymore , Welcome.

Smart kid. Speaks Spanish, English, and Chinese.
I've never met a Nigerian who wasn't smart. Having worked with a few people of Nigerian background and befriended a few others (several of whom have PHD's), I get the sense that the culture is education-obsessed, to say the least.

Makes me wonder if recruiting-wise we should be making an extra effort within the Nigerian-American community, since I would think our academic proposition may carry more weight, culturally speaking. We've had some great Nigerian-American 'Cats over the years and I would think a focused effort with that community on the recruiting front would be worth it.

I've never met a Nigerian who wasn't smart. Having worked with a few people of Nigerian background and befriended a few others (several of whom have PHD's), I get the sense that the culture is education-obsessed, to say the least.

Makes me wonder if recruiting-wise we should be making an extra effort within the Nigerian-American community, since I would think our academic proposition may carry more weight, culturally speaking. We've had some great Nigerian-American 'Cats over the years and I would think a focused effort with that community on the recruiting front would be worth it.
I can’t speak specifically to “we target Nigerian-Americans” (no idea if that’s true or not), BUT we’ve offered a lot over the years and typically done quite well in getting them to come to NU or seriously considering us even with the presence of blue blood offers.

Reactions: Hkjb

Fun fact, I had a cousin of Ifeadi rotate with me as a med student, then go on to an Ivy Leage residency.

Reactions: Hkjb and No Chores

Been saying this as well, but it's true of immigrant families from other countries in Africa, as well as the Caribbean (who, btw, make up the bulk of the black student bodies at the most selective universities).

"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence ..."
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

I can’t speak specifically to “we target Nigerian-Americans” (no idea if that’s true or not), BUT we’ve offered a lot over the years and typically done quite well in getting them to come to NU or seriously considering us even with the presence of blue blood offers.
I’ve lost the name of the NFL edge rusher dude with the controversial weight (Odenigbo - found it!).

Who else?

Last edited:
Been saying this as well, but it's true of immigrant families from other countries in Africa, as well as the Caribbean (who, btw, make up the bulk of the black student bodies at the most selective universities).

Didn't know that relative to Caribbean students. Likely due in large part to the legacy of British boarding schools. Top notch academics with discipline. That's where the children - familiar mostly with the boys but likely girls as well now - of the island elites go.

Tomi Adebawore and Godwin Igwebuike as well.

Reactions: Hkjb
Tomi Adebawore and Godwin Igwebuike as well.

David Nwabuisi. Not sure, but isn't Anto Saka of Nigerian heritage? I seem to recall he came from a family of high achievers.

Nigeria, by the way, is a country of 213 mil people. Quite extraordinary. The law of averages says they will have some very good football players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT