ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern's DT committee is ready to take on Nebraska

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021

I talked to Najee Story and Carmine Bastone about the unusual defensive tackle committee at Northwestern this season, and their preparations to take on one of the best rushing offenses in the country against Nebraska this week.

My favorite part is where Story trashes JON.

Nebraska has and injury problems in the backfield. Anthony Grant is the current starter and had been the projected starter coming into camp, but opened the season third on the depth chart.

His career started at FSU in 2018, and included two JuCo stops. He’s 24 years old.

• Wow
Reactions: drewjin and Hkjb
My favorite part is where Story trashes JON.

Nebraska has and injury problems in the backfield. Anthony Grant is the current starter and had been the projected starter coming into camp, but opened the season third on the depth chart.

His career started at FSU in 2018, and included two JuCo stops. He’s 24 years old.
The damage from the JON hire will resonate for a long time. As JON's D line was being coached to play horizontal, Fitz blamed the (predictably bad) results on execution. How refreshing to hear that coaches are looking to adjust system and scheme in a way that motivates players and improves performance. Hello, accountability.

The narrative around Fitz has always been that he was a player's coach, and it seems on a personal level that was true. That's admirable. But I'm not so sure a true player's coach would hire JON and then refuse to acknowledge that coaching or scheme were a problem, loss after loss.

Fitz was young, got promoted fast, and developed an arrogant side when we had a good run (thanks to Hank).
That arrogance led to blindspots which led to the JON hire. If Braun ends up earning the gig, he will have blindspots due to the speed of his elevation. Manageable, if he keeps his feet on the ground. But that's not easy to do.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT