ADVERTISEMENT

NU to take on UNC in CBE HOF Classic

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
That's according to a tweet from Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports.

@WildcatReport: Finally, #UNC and #Northwestern will battle to determine once and for all who has the better basketball tradition. https://t.co/e4G2215ZXn

Reactions: OldGreyKat
Yeah, this is really good for us. No-lose situation - win, and it's a huge resume builder, but somehow drawing not to play them at all would have been bad for a noncon schedule that needed a boost.

Gotta think Collins will get his guys up even a little more than normal for this one, too.

Yeah, this is really good for us. No-lose situation - win, and it's a huge resume builder, but somehow drawing not to play them at all would have been bad for a noncon schedule that needed a boost.

Agree. No downside to playing a top 5 team out of conference on a neutral floor. Great early season yardstick for the team, something to focus on rather than some of the cupcakes on the schedule.

S
Agree. No downside to playing a top 5 team out of conference on a neutral floor. Great early season yardstick for the team, something to focus on rather than some of the cupcakes on the schedule.
So help me to under stand how losing to a team that should totally over match us is better than beating a lesser team.

S

So help me to under stand how losing to a team that should totally over match us is better than beating a lesser team.

Because by playing better competition, you grow as a team. You get nothing out of beating MVSU by 51, you can play as sloppy as you like and still win. Play excellent competition and it makes the team focus and prepare and try to execute. Why do you think Izzo at MSU plays a tough OOC schedule if not to make his team better?

Ok, Thanks. I thought people were saying that a loss to a good team would be judged more favorably by the selection committee than a win against a lesser team. That doesn't add up for me quite as easily (though it still may be true). You're saying we are more likely to play better later and in the B1G if we are better prepared going in.

Deering: I have never been in an NCAA or NIT Selection room, but I do believe a loss to UNC by less than 10 would be viewed more favorably than essentially any win over the +280 Kenpom crowd that we have on our schedule.

You're saying we are more likely to play better later and in the B1G if we are better prepared going in.

Exactly. The games against UNC, Mizzou/KSU, @DePaul and @VaTech are benchmark games to really challenge the team. NU should be able to win the last three, but could lose any or all of them if they don't play to their potential. These games are much more useful than ones like MVSU, Chicago State or Sacred Heart, which apart from getting the Freshmen playing time won't do much to develop the team.

Ok, Thanks. I thought people were saying that a loss to a good team would be judged more favorably by the selection committee than a win against a lesser team. That doesn't add up for me quite as easily (though it still may be true). You're saying we are more likely to play better later and in the B1G if we are better prepared going in.

When it comes to the computer formulas, especially RPI, it is absolutely true that a loss to an excellent team benefits you more than a win over a terrible team. How the selection committee uses those formulas is ultimately up to them.

From what I remember about the tournament selection's process, strength of schedule does play a factor. So if you have teams that are comparable on the bubble, a game versus one of the top 3 teams in the nation will help even if it is a loss. For example, UCLA did not have a good record last year, but benefited scheduling some tough non-conference opponents last year like UK and a number of other teams and made the tourney and won a couple of games in the tourney.

What a terrific opportunity to let the college basketball world know that Northwestern has arrived.

I'm making the call right now. We will take down Carolina and this will be the lighthouse win for us, announcing to the world that Chris Collins and the NU Wildcats are for real.

I'm making the call right now. We will take down Carolina and this will be the lighthouse win for us, announcing to the world that Chris Collins and the NU Wildcats are for real.

From your keyboard to God's eyes.....................

Love your thinking, E-Cat. And if/when that happens, I'll gleefully shoot over to Let's Tailgate and buy you a shirt commemorating that win.

Love your thinking, E-Cat. And if/when that happens, I'll gleefully shoot over to Let's Tailgate and buy you a shirt commemorating that win.

Who do you think has the better chance to beat UNC, the Men or the Women? NU plays @UNC in the Big 10/ACC challenge on 12/2. UNC is always really good in Women's hoops. I'd actually go with the Men even though the Women will probably finish higher in the Big 10 this season.

Who do you think has the better chance to beat UNC, the Men or the Women? NU plays @UNC in the Big 10/ACC challenge on 12/2. UNC is always really good in Women's hoops. I'd actually go with the Men even though the Women will probably finish higher in the Big 10 this season.

Not really qualified to comment on the women's side, NJ. I know a little about our team, but nothing about the Tar Heel women. Love to see a win on either side, really.

UNC has talent, but they lost 12 times last year. So let's not put them on too much of a pedestal. They lost to Iowa in Chapel Hill. NU was able to pull out a win v. Iowa at home. They are also not known for lock down defense to say the least. Yes, they will be ranked in the top 5 or maybe in the top 3 in preseason, but you never know what will happen on a neutral court. Over the past few years, UNC has been inconsistent in their play. Maybe this year is different with everyone returning except JP Tokoto who might have been their best defender. But NU has their entire starting five returning and some talent frosh and hopefully, a talented transfer.

Reactions: NJCat83588
UNC has talent, but they lost 12 times last year. So let's not put them on too much of a pedestal. They lost to Iowa in Chapel Hill. NU was able to pull out a win v. Iowa at home. They are also not known for lock down defense to say the least. Yes, they will be ranked in the top 5 or maybe in the top 3 in preseason, but you never know what will happen on a neutral court. Over the past few years, UNC has been inconsistent in their play. Maybe this year is different with everyone returning except JP Tokoto who might have been their best defender. But NU has their entire starting five returning and some talent frosh and hopefully, a talented transfer.

This. People who predict NU will get blown out are nuts. I see a competitive game, probably not an NU victory but a good game nonetheless.

By the way, NU will be UNC's 5th game. They play @Northern Iowa 2 days before they face NU. They also play Fairfield in Chapel Hill before NU takes on Fairfield in Evanston.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvanstonCat
UNC will be good this year. However, they seem to stumble pretty hard in the beginning. Coach Collins will have to set the tone defensively. I am not thinking that you guys make it close -- I think that you win it.

LTDF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT