ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Example of NIL’s impact: LSU’s Angel Reese

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
LSU’s women’s basketball player Angel Reese has over 17 corporate sponsors and including deals with Shaq and Rebock. She’s making more than most women pro players, close to $1M worth of endorsement deals. Incredible! Probably just the tip of the iceberg with collegiate sports and NIL now.

LSU’s women’s basketball player Angel Reese has over 17 corporate sponsors and including deals with Shaq and Rebock. She’s making more than most women pro players, close to $1M worth of endorsement deals. Incredible! Probably just the tip of the iceberg with collegiate sports and NIL now.

She also mysteriously hasn’t played in the last two games. Wonder how the sponsors feel about that.

To me, NIL falls into two distinct classes: one is where an athlete (like Reese) for one reason or another is personally worth the endorsement to a sponsor, while the second is that the affiliation of the athlete to a specific team is the reason the money has been ponied up.
I think the first case is a legitimate justification for NIL: she could transfer to any other school, and her value would be substantially undiminished. The second, where the boosters essentially pool money to attract and retain top athletes, is problematic to me as it creates an environment where the player becomes a real professional with respect to the institution she/he plays for: transfer because a coach or institution is abusive and you lose your paycheck. I would love for the powers that be to figure out a way to preserve the first and limit the second classes of NIL payments.

Maybe she’s on strike for more pay!

I can’t say I’m all that familiar with her other than she was on the championship team. I came across the article on how much she was making as a woman basketball player and it really astounded me the impact NIL is having on both men’s and women’s collegiate athletics. It’s a brave new world out there.

I’m curious if sports agents and managers have now actively migrated to take on collegiate sports clients. NIL must have opened up a whole new “above ground” pool of potential collegiate clients. I don’t know about any remaining restrictions on collegiate athletes earning money under NIL as a result of the Supreme Court decision.

Since my instincts are she is a walking attitude, I suspect all NIL money did was make what was always difficult to impossible for a coach to positively manage her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT